MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Vintage Moog folks - what of the new Moog Grandmother?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Vintage Moog folks - what of the new Moog Grandmother?
Rex Coil 7
Ok folks .... looks like they may have gone and done it this time. A performance synth loaded with R. A. Moog circuits.

The claims are:

2 VCOs (no further details, other than I've read they are "based on" Minimoog and also read they are "based on" Voyager ... but the video heavily ~implies~ they may be "based on" some 900 series VCOs.... nice big SYNC button that lights up when engaged .... PWM.

1 CP3 mixer.
1 904 LPVCF.
1 911 EG (gotta admit, the Sustain slider among the time knobs is a ~Like~).
1 902 VCA.
1 905 Spring Reverb (actually has a blasted tank in it).

+ S/H, Glide, Sequencer with 3 memory slot, Arpeggiator, "FATAR keybed" ... however, it's unknown so far if it is an actual Model TP9 or one of their economy units, a bunch of 3.5mm CV in jacks and signal out jacks.

I'm wondering if any of the R.A. Moog users/lovers here among us in the 5U community are interested, or if any of you think they're hearing ~vintage Moogage~ going on?

I mean, if the claims are for real, we got us a (albeit a bit homely) Vintage Moog performance synth with 2 syncable VCOs here!

$900 bucks free shipping at Guitar Center.

EDIT: Woops ... just checked, they must have already SOLD OUT ... they were just up and at it with them yesterday! Same with Musicians Friend.

So what do we think about this? cool

EDIT: From the Moog website ....

"MODULE PROVENANCE
· Oscillators based on Moog Minimoog
· Mixer based on Moog CP3
· Filter based on Moog 904
· Envelope Generator Based on Moog 911
· VCA Based on Moog 902
· Spring Reverb based on Moog 905"

Link = https://www.moogmusic.com/products/semi-modular/grandmother#specs-tab

Guess that settles the VCO questions! However, I wonder how much license is taken with the phrase "based on"? Seems to be used a lot. thumbs up
tardishead
wow if thats the real deal then thats the bargain of the century
DJFonzi
I LOVE the look of it. Looks more like a Moog to me than most of what they've put out in the past 20+ years. The name? Less so, but whatever.
At first I was a bit put off at the price tag, because let's face it- we're spoiled these days. But if it's a quality piece of gear, it's seems like a pretty good deal. I'd hate to have to order more 3.5mm>1/4" cables, but it may be worth the hassle.
Mirolab
As I look the dark abyss of the very last empty space (of 64) in my MU system, and contemplate how to fill the void, all I can think about now is how many cool products are coming to the Euro format!.... I'd be VERY tempted to mate this GrandMother with a Behringer Neutron and call it a day for just 1200!
Rex Coil 7
Hit the link in my opening post to the Moog webpage .... click on "sounds" ... there's about a dozen SoundCloud files .... one of them that really shows off it's balls (sorry Gramma) is called "Dark Energy".

I was in absolute shock when I first saw it. I mean ... those colors. But as a performance synth the way that each section alternates between black panel and colored panel makes each individual section really stand out. I went to a lot of trouble working out the color coding of the knobs on my project synth all for the same reasons I cited regarding this new Moog's colored panels. Same goes for the sizes of the knobs I chose, all in an effort to create working room. So I can appreciate the work that went into the Granny that make it more useful in live situations.

I must admit, the use of a loooong slider pot for the sustain on the (only) EG is actually pretty clever. Sustain is the only ~level~ control on an EG, the other controls all deal with time. So the slider makes sense. Easily seen as well.

For live performance, that makes it easier to use in dramatic stage lighting or dim studio lights. The way the controls are spread out nicely also adds to it's live performance ability. It really looks well thought out, once you get past the name and the colors.

I did some quick and hasty shopping, to recreate the little beasty in modules you'll spend around $2.5k. Making sure to add the cost of a 32 note FATAR keybed (still hoping it is a TP9), a 3 memory slot 256 note step sequencer, arpeggiator, mod/pitch wheels, MIDI-CV converter, and power supply. That figure doesn't include some sort of cabinet.

So at $899 .... I dunno man .... it's looking pretty tempting!

The first 500 sold came with a denim jacket with some sort of Moogified patch, and some kind of commemorative "coupon" (?no clue?). It appears those first 500 are totally sold out .... in just two days.

Time will tell, of course ... but it looks as though Moog may have knocked this one clean out of the park. If you can just get past those colors .... and that name. Makes me wonder what names were on the "rejected" list!

lol
tardishead
Imagine the focus group that came up with that name
Rex Coil 7
A few chapters out of the 56 page manual (downloadable PDF) - I've highlighted a few that are very interesting (indeed!):

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

UNPACKING & INSPECTION:
SETUP & CONNECTIONS
INTRODUCTION
GRANDMOTHER OVERVIEW
SIGNAL FLOW

FEATURES & CONTROLS:
KEYBOARD
LEFT-HAND CONTROLLER
OSCILLATORS
MIXER
FILTER
ENVELOPE (ADSR)
OUTPUT
MODULATION
UTILITIES
ARP / SEQ
SEQUENCER – GETTING STARTED

REAR PANEL:
FINE TUNE
AUDIO
ARP / SEQ CV
MIDI

GLOBAL SETTINGS:
CHANGING THE MIDI CHANNEL
MIDI CLOCK SETUP
LOCAL ON / OFF
NOTE PRIORITY
PITCH BEND RANGE
EXTERNAL CLOCK MODE
EXTERNAL CLOCK INPUT PPQN
CLOCK OUTPUT PPQN

thumbs up Looks like it is well featured. I'm still reading it to find out if the sequencer and/or the arpeggiator sends to MIDI OUT.
moremagic
tardishead wrote:
Imagine the focus group that came up with that name
i think naming it after a previous product (m32) with a dumb in-joke thrown in is the more likely culprit

i dont need another keyboard (or another synthesizer even) but this would be small enough to cart around easily so i can't say ive totally ruled it out

it definitely looks goofy as hell which is a plus in my book, but i can see some more traditional synthesists being put off by it
Rex Coil 7
I had to kind of catch my breath (so to speak) when I first saw it. Took me a couple of days, plus hearing it more to warm up to the looks and that name. I'm more accepting of it now that I know more about it as an instrument.

The Arp does send MIDI out. The sequencer does ties and rests, along with accents and legato. The glide function has a legato response feature, combine that with the legato of the sequencer and it will do legato glide with the sequencer! Nice.

There are 3 memory slots for the sequencer, each has a 256 note capacity (memory retained after power off). The "KB Out" jack sends 1v/oct from the keyboard, the arp, and the seq ... which means you can use the sequencer to ~play~ the filter cutoff freq (or any other "input" on the panel). Same with the arp, it also sends 1v/oct out of that same jack. Again, nice.

The clock input allows setting of the clock divisions. Thrice nice.

And the keybed sends velocity. It's not normalized so you may actually patch the Velocity signal output to any 3.5mm destination. Since there is also a 4-way mult on the panel, you can split the Velocity signal and send it to more than one destination

It just keeps on getting better. Dammit if they didn't do a great job on this thing.

thumbs up
josaka
looks great.. thick tones..
yet to hear a sound from it to make me part with 1k.. same with the dfam.. unlike the neutron..
to my ears it sounds pretty similar to the sub 37 sound..
I am sure better demos will come out.. looks seem to be its strongest point..
might wait two years for the hype to go away and buy a second hand one.. maybe.

seriously .. who wants a synth called grandmother..? wtf were they thinking.
Kent
Pre-Existing Thread (please do a search before posting new thread topics) is a great place to keep this lively discussion going.

People get confused when there are duplicate threads and it muddies up the forum.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1