MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Adapting 4hp eurorack modules to 1U (Intellijel)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Adapting 4hp eurorack modules to 1U (Intellijel)
TheRosskonian
I have a couple of 4HP modules I would like to turn sideways and put in an Intellijel 1U row. While they physically fit into the 1U row, I need some way to mount them into the rails. Has anyone come up with a quick fix for this? I saw another thread where someone re-panelled a 4HP module into a 1U tile, but I would rather find a way to mount the modules without swapping out the panel.
rhythmdial
Just slice a rectangular opening into the 1U blank panel.
a thicker panel will let you thread/tap the holes so you can mount the 4HP panel to the 1U panel with short screws.
ersatzplanet
Since 4HP is narrower than 1U, I would think that all you would need was a bracket that would span the gap and reach the nearest mounting hole. I could see a custom panel with a hole big enough for a 4HP panel to mount in it would work (I have to check the exact measurements of course). This could be a universal panel for all 4HP modules. Unless you make it in quantities, it will cost you probably as much as making a custom panel for the particular module would.

You could make the panel or just cut some metal pieces that the module could bolt on and would then itself bolt into the rails. There would be gaps around the 4HP panel though that way.
ersatzplanet
I whipped this panel out for the PulpLogic sized 1U, I will do a Intellijel next but you get the basic idea. You could fit more HP in there if you wanted to, 6HP easily and maybe 8HP but it would be tight Dep[ending on the rails used, I doubt you could do it on most).

ersatzplanet
Here is an intellijel sized one. A 4HP module is a pretty tight fit and the PCB cannot be larger than the panel or have parts that stick our beyond by much. 4HP is 0.8" (20.32mm) and the space between the rails on an intellijel 1U rack is only 0.885" (22.5mm).

ersatzplanet
In making these panels I notice another difference between them other than the height difference, The hole spacing from the edge of the panels are different too. The Pulp Logic spacing is like that of the Anologue Systems spacing, ~0.2" from the edge, whereas the Intellijel uses the Doepfer's ~0.3" spacing from the edge.
sempervirent
Nice idea @ersatzplanet – doing a custom 1U panel is easy enough but this is more versatile if you want to swap things out often or don't want to commit to a custom panel.
NANO-Jorge
Cool idea
TheRosskonian
@ersatzplanet, Wow, thank you for the design. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Forgive my ignorance, but what is the best way to get one of these panels made? Is it something like FrontPanelExpress? Or are there cheaper options out there, considering what type of build it is. I know making my own panels would probably be the best, but I currently don't have any plans on paneling things past a couple of these.
ersatzplanet
TheRosskonian wrote:
@ersatzplanet, Wow, thank you for the design. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Forgive my ignorance, but what is the best way to get one of these panels made? Is it something like FrontPanelExpress? Or are there cheaper options out there, considering what type of build it is. I know making my own panels would probably be the best, but I currently don't have any plans on paneling things past a couple of these.

FrontPanelExpress is the one I use the most. Sometime today I will make a FPE file for both versions and post it here. They are not cheap, but you may find some people to go in with and cross the quantity discount. I drew it with the 4HP panel being mounted with bolts to save the cost of tapped holes (pretty easy to reach the bolts when you put the panel on) and you can choose different anodizing methods or panel thicknesses to change the cost a little. Luckily FPE will quote you cost before you commit to buying.

Check this thread later today or tomorrow for the files.
ersatzplanet
Here are the files as Front Panel Express files. These are made with all the holes and in 2mm thick panels (standard Doepfer thickness). The prices from the program say $22.80 each (1-5 panels) for the Pulp Logic and $22.61 each (1-5 panels) for the Intellijel versions. The holes are ~$0.24 each so you can reduce the cost a little by leaving some out. The cost go down about $2 a panel if you buy more than 5.

NOTE - I have not made any of these myself. They look good on paper and SHOULD work. I would not buy a ton of them until somebody checked them out first.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1