MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Digitakt Melody Companion
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Digitakt Melody Companion
Alariamusic
Hello Wiggler fellas!

I bought a DT not long ago and i'm enjoying it very much, love it's sampling capabilities as well as it sequencer and p-locks.

I wanna talk about it's sequencer. I love how fast things can get done in terms of sequencing rythmic stuff, but i'm encountering some problems when sequencing melodic stuff. I miss the option of having certain key locked so you can sequence on that specific key/scale (i' pretty bad at music theory) and get easy (maybe fast?) melodies for inspirational purposes.

Do you guys use the DT along any other sequencer for this purpose?

Would love to hear your thoughts since I'm looking for some companion for my DT on the 300€ range, something capable of sequencing multiple tracks at a time (thought of keystep/beatstep but i think only beatstep pro can sequence more than one track at a time) and fast melody programming!

nanners
Panason
Zaquencer, if you can find a BCR2000.

4 midi tracks of 32 steps each, chords, scales, delays, 2 CCs per track, and more. Very fast and easy. You just set the scale and the root note and then turn knobs to select from preset chords. Only notes within the chosen scale will be available. Length of notes or chords can be adjusted as well as velocity, and there is a per-step arpeggio effect for creating strummed chords.

It has a minor bug where *sometimes* ( not often) you get stuck notes if editing chords while the sequencer is running so it may not be 100% reliable for live performance if you are going to be inputting chords live.

The hardware is from the era when Behringer stuff was shit so knobs will become erratic after a few years.. but it is a fun and very capable polyphonic (up to 5 notes I think) MIDI step sequencer for the price.
Alariamusic
Panason wrote:
Zaquencer, if you can find a BCR2000.

4 midi tracks of 32 steps each, chords, scales, delays, 2 CCs per track, and more. Very fast and easy. You just set the scale and the root note and then turn knobs to select from preset chords. Only notes within the chosen scale will be available. Length of notes or chords can be adjusted as well as velocity, and there is a per-step arpeggio effect for creating strummed chords.

It has a minor bug where *sometimes* ( not often) you get stuck notes if editing chords while the sequencer is running so it may not be 100% reliable for live performance if you are going to be inputting chords live.

The hardware is from the era when Behringer stuff was shit so knobs will become erratic after a few years.. but it is a fun and very capable polyphonic (up to 5 notes I think) MIDI step sequencer for the price.

Zaquencer looks like a good option but since one of it's uses would be for live performance i'd have to see about that bug! Thanks!

Came across Faderfox SC4, any ideas on this one? Looks like 8 midi tracks but only 8 steps per pattern? (correct me if i'm wrong) I've always heard good things about faderfox stuff.
Panason
The Faderfox hardware will probably last longer but I don't know if it has scales or if it can do chords at all. Most hardware step sequencers out there are monophonic.

Like I said the bug in Zaquencer only happens infrequently and only if you are dialing in chords while the sequencer is running.The way you dial in chords is by scrolling through a pool of available preset chords by turning the knob for the step you are editing. I wouldn't be doing that in a live performance.
tom.bzode
Not the answer you're looking for but focus on improving your abilities instead. Take the money you have for buying gear and spend it on lessons, if necessary. Use what you equipment you have. People would have made entire albums/genres of music on the Digitakt if it was released back in the day. More gear won't make your music better. Invest in yourself.

OR you could look for some hardware device that will features midi scale quantize like Midipal or something. Run your digitakt sequences through that. The forthcoming Midihub from Blokas looks interesting.
Alariamusic
Panason wrote:
The Faderfox hardware will probably last longer but I don't know if it has scales or if it can do chords at all. Most hardware step sequencers out there are monophonic.

Like I said the bug in Zaquencer only happens infrequently and only if you are dialing in chords while the sequencer is running.The way you dial in chords is by scrolling through a pool of available preset chords by turning the knob for the step you are editing. I wouldn't be doing that in a live performance.

oh I get it, didn't quiet understand when the bug was happening and yes I wouldn't be doing that either.

Thanks again!
Alariamusic
tom.bzode wrote:
Not the answer you're looking for but focus on improving your abilities instead. Take the money you have for buying gear and spend it on lessons, if necessary. Use what you equipment you have. People would have made entire albums/genres of music on the Digitakt if it was released back in the day. More gear won't make your music better. Invest in yourself.

OR you could look for some hardware device that will features midi scale quantize like Midipal or something. Run your digitakt sequences through that. The forthcoming Midihub from Blokas looks interesting.

It's not just my abilities (I know the basics but it's always good to improve) it's more a thing of getting random melodies tweaking a couple of things without having to think too much and get things running fast, I just want to plug my gear and start improvising without worrying about that (i'm more of a rythmic guy anyways).

Thanks anyways, I'll have a look at those midi-events hubs but if i want to sequence the samples on the DT I'd have to feed back midi from DT loosing my midi in (?)

(I'd like to sequence 'melodic' samples on the DT + some external gear)
khyber
What about a Future Retro Zillion?
calaveras
You should be able to find a used Analog 4 for much less than a grand. I picked up mine for $800 before the MKII version was out. Since those hit the market the price of the A4, octatrack etc has really been hammered down. I suppose all the Elektron fans are dumping their 'old' synths for the new hotness.
And once you have your toe in the waters of Elektron gear and are digging it, may as well go ahead and get a second. They interoperate very well.
As far as composing 'in a key', it really is not that hard.
I find having a little midi keyboard hooked up to my tabletop synths helps a lot in that area. Just noodle around and discover stuff. Or watch a couple videos on Youtube about theory. You can spend 15 minutes and learn the Major scale. Then have fun augmenting and diminishing different degrees of that.
Panason
The A4 is completely outside of what the OP is looking for...
SB-SIX
I found out that Yarns can also restrict notes to a scale. That solved it for me, plug digitakt into yarns, setup the scales there and you'll have 4 tracks of fixed scale CV.

Selecting the scale is a bit different than normal, but after some investigation I've found that setting TS #6 is major, and I think TS #1 is minor (need to check that). Tune your oscillators to the root note of choice, or use transpose on yarns (TT)
calaveras
I don't know how much a used A4 goes for in Euros. But I'd imagine it's not too much more. I've seen them for peanuts on craigslist around here.
rean1mator
The digitone locks a scale down to whatever you choose in the scales options.
And has a sequencer you can sequence other gear with similar to the digitakt. And it just happens to be the perfect match for the digitakt imo.

Alariamusic wrote:
Hello Wiggler fellas!

I bought a DT not long ago and i'm enjoying it very much, love it's sampling capabilities as well as it sequencer and p-locks.

I wanna talk about it's sequencer. I love how fast things can get done in terms of sequencing rythmic stuff, but i'm encountering some problems when sequencing melodic stuff. I miss the option of having certain key locked so you can sequence on that specific key/scale (i' pretty bad at music theory) and get easy (maybe fast?) melodies for inspirational purposes.

Do you guys use the DT along any other sequencer for this purpose?

Would love to hear your thoughts since I'm looking for some companion for my DT on the 300€ range, something capable of sequencing multiple tracks at a time (thought of keystep/beatstep but i think only beatstep pro can sequence more than one track at a time) and fast melody programming!

nanners
rhythmdial
FaderFox SC4 is a fantastic sequencer for monosynth work and has a lot of cool features like probability and editing live on the fly, I had one and it was a lot of fun!

Sold it to get a Zaquencer to use like 4 of the SC4's at once and can also use any of those parts as a drum track or the chord functions which are excellent! Added bonus of the Zaquencer is the wave generator for MIDI CC's per track to add evolution/modulation to sounds hands free. Still use it and its the heart of my rig now.

Arturia KeyStep might be a cool option to look into as well.
Jason Brock
rhythmdial wrote:
Arturia KeyStep might be a cool option to look into as well.

This would be my suggestion as well. It's super cheap and very easy/fun to use. I'm baffled that so many posts prior to this have suggested things without a keyboard.
Panason
It looks like some people didn't really read the OP.
Koekepan
The Engine will do everything that you request.

It has 8 tracks of sequencing, each track can be a polyphonic track (chord style), polyphonic track (counterpoint style), drum track or automation track. It has 16 voices per drum track, it has varying track lengths, randomised advance, pattern chaining, snapshots, arpeggiation, ratcheting ... the list goes on.

Yes, it's expensive, but you will not regret it, based on what you described. And yes, it does locked-down scales.

Failing that, I'm pretty sure that an electribe can do what you describe, but I don't have one.
GuyaGuy
SQ-1 meets the criteria, I believe.

But I'd also agree with those saying to just use the Digitakt. If you want to play major, play any note without a flat or sharp with C as your root. If you want to play minor play any note without a flat or sharp with A as your root. But playing notes outside of stock major and minor scales moves things into more interesting areas and can be more inspirational. Not to mention you're stuck with one chord/scale per sequence if you lock in the scale.
lotri22
Novation Launchpad Pro, Yamaha Tenori On they have scales
Roland Kaossilator Pro good company for digitakt...
Panason
http://www.pianoscales.org/

Also, fuck elektron.
Unborn Gore
You should definitely check out the Future Retro Zillion if you are more interested in tweaking the Digitakt than sequencing it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1