MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MI Elements and Digital Clipping
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author MI Elements and Digital Clipping
synkrotron
Hi Peeps smile

I am finding that my newly acquired Elements can be driven to some quite harsh digital clipping. I know for sure that it isn't my levels because I record at relatively low levels, typically around -9 to -8 dB.

I only noticed it when I was listening back to something I recorded last night on my headphones, and it pretty much "ruined" the recording. Not that that matters much haha!

Just doing some more experimentation now and it appears to happen when the Strike, Mallet and Strike Timber are getting towards 3 o'clock and beyond.

With Mallet and Timbre fully CW if I reduce Strike to fully CCW the "issue" seems to go away. And if I turn Strike fully CW I have to turn Mallet fully CCW to get rid of the clipping. With Strike and Mallet fully CW, I have to turn Timbre almost fully CCW to get rid of the clipping.

A little bit a pain, that, I have have been experimenting with sticking modulation in the five exciter CV inputs to vary the sounds, but I now realise that I have to be careful not to take the Strike side of things too far in (I am assuming) positive direction.


Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm wondering if it is worth logging a ticket with MI, see what they say.

BTW, I am absolutely smitten with this module and it dominates pretty much everything I do right now, so eventually I will get to grips with its idiosyncrasies grin



cheers

andy
starthief
synkrotron wrote:
I am finding that my newly acquired Elements can be driven to some quite harsh digital clipping. I know for sure that it isn't my levels because I record at relatively low levels, typically around -9 to -8 dB.


What are you recording with? I used to have a NI Komplete Audio 6, and it would clip before any attenuation so setting the levels didn't stop it. It just couldn't handle Euro voltage levels.

It did especially bad things to Rings. I had to use attenuators between Rings and the KA6.
synkrotron
starthief wrote:

What are you recording with? I used to have a NI Komplete Audio 6, and it would clip before any attenuation so setting the levels didn't stop it. It just couldn't handle Euro voltage levels.

It did especially bad things to Rings. I had to use attenuators between Rings and the KA6.


Hi, thanks, yeah, I also use attenuators between Elements and my DAW although I find that I am pretty much able to open them fully, and even go direct into my OCTA-CAPTURE and the recorded levels are still below -8dB.

I will try again, though, bringing the attenuators into play and see if it makes a difference.


cheers

andy
lohacker
When I'm using 2 or 3 exciters I keep levels around 12 o'clock or less, higher values can sound a bit harsh in my experience, at least for my favourite sound palette. For single exciter sounds around 2-3 o'clock is enough. Subtlety is the key to master Elements imho.
Baddcr
lohacker wrote:
Subtlety is the key to master Elements imho.


Absolutely thumbs up

FM input seems to be overlooked a lot and it's critical imho!

Also, feedback, don't be scared of taking the output, running it through a filter, FX or whatever, attenuate and send it back into the resonator - this is where the real magic happens!
synkrotron
lohacker wrote:
When I'm using 2 or 3 exciters I keep levels around 12 o'clock or less, higher values can sound a bit harsh in my experience, at least for my favourite sound palette. For single exciter sounds around 2-3 o'clock is enough. Subtlety is the key to master Elements imho.


Thanks, yes, I am coming to the same conclusion regards to subtlety... Still very much in the experimental phase and being blown away with the sounds this module makes smile

Thanks for the tips...
synkrotron
Baddcr wrote:


FM input seems to be overlooked a lot and it's critical imho!

Also, feedback, don't be scared of taking the output, running it through a filter, FX or whatever, attenuate and send it back into the resonator - this is where the real magic happens!


I have tried FM yet so looking forward to that. And I would not have thought about running sounds out of Elements, into something else and back in again. Thanks for the advice smile
Baddcr
Cool - you will have fun synkrotron

Elements can wander in to a kind of 'flat' space when you patch it up like this, just keep going, adjusting parameters as your intuition guides you, and all of a sudden it will come to life and start behaving itself - you will hardly believe your ears wink
Foghorn
Don't forget about the external inputs.
A lot of fun to be had there.
I think Elements is a better external input processor than Rings.
Also, remember that the two inputs are not a stereo pair, they go to different places inside the module.

Yea, I love this thing too.


Foghorn
Baddcr
Foghorn wrote:
...I think Elements is a better external input processor than Rings.


hihi thumbs up
Inward
Baddcr wrote:
lohacker wrote:
Subtlety is the key to master Elements imho.


Absolutely thumbs up

FM input seems to be overlooked a lot and it's critical imho!

Also, feedback, don't be scared of taking the output, running it through a filter, FX or whatever, attenuate and send it back into the resonator - this is where the real magic happens!


woah what an absolutely incredible idea! That will be for the next patch.
Dcramer
Yes, I think at some settings it can sound as if the resonator section is being driven into clipping. w00t
synkrotron
Baddcr wrote:
Cool - you will have fun synkrotron

Elements can wander in to a kind of 'flat' space when you patch it up like this, just keep going, adjusting parameters as your intuition guides you, and all of a sudden it will come to life and start behaving itself - you will hardly believe your ears wink


Yep! Getting better as I spend more time with it... Careful use of the attenuverters is certainly needed!

Cheers, and thanks smile

andy
synkrotron
Foghorn wrote:
Don't forget about the external inputs.
A lot of fun to be had there.
I think Elements is a better external input processor than Rings.
Also, remember that the two inputs are not a stereo pair, they go to different places inside the module.

Yea, I love this thing too.


Foghorn


Thanks for the tips smile
synkrotron
Dcramer wrote:
Yes, I think at some settings it can sound as if the resonator section is being driven into clipping. w00t


Hi Daniel smile

Thanks for confirming that
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group