MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

String synth recommends
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author String synth recommends
Haterade
I need an affordable, more portable substitute for a Crumar Orchestrator. Anybody have any ideas or recommendations?

Considered the waldorf streichfett, but would prefer to just get another (lighter) old keyboard.
Ranxerox
Analogue string synths typically have a lot of circuitry (and wiring) inside, so there's a practical minimum to how small they can get. Probably the Roland RS09 is the smallest I know of. The Farfisa Syntorchestra is also compact, but rare and pricey in today's market.

If you're not picky about digital, then apart from the Streichfett there's the Roland Boutique VP03 vocoder, which is also I believe a capable stringer emulation. Can't think of any others.
commodorejohn
Are there any modern alternatives that aim for a softer Solina-ish sound? All the demos I've heard of the Streichfett make it sound like it's limited to JMJ Eminent imitations.
spacenoodle
You could get hold of a Syhthoma Elkorus and run any basic synth into it. I use it sometimes with a Reface CS, Juno, Nord and even the Streichfett (an improvement over the ensemble FX).
Blairio
This might seem a left-field choice, but I have a couple of Nord Electro's and there are some great string synth sample sets in Nord's (free to owners) official sample library. The Owner's forum also has a library of samples that users contribute to as well. The Electro 5 Library includes:

1 Crumar Performer_Str1
2 ELKA Rhapsodie_Str2
3 GodwinSymphony_Viola

and quite a few more.
chvad
tonally you can hit some nice vintage string SOUNDING tones out of the Dreadbox Abyss but it's only 4 voices so it can only take you so far. It's a small foot print though. Behringers demo'd stringer sounds ace but I'm not sure if and when it's supposed to com out but from the demos ive heard it's much better sounding than the waldorf... a box Id love to love but after having owned a number of stringers myself... i just can't get into it's basic sound.
digitalganesha
I know you said older, but as someone who was in essentially the same need as you were years ago; I am beyond happy with what I did. I second the Nord Electro notion. If you can afford the newest one, you can even (finally) layer sounds. The Electro gives you attack and release controls, FX and an EQ over your sounds per patch. They have a ton of string samples on their site including the Farsisa Synorchestra and the Eminent 301 which is pure bliss. AND it sounds EXACT. I made my own samples off my ARP Omni II and there's no difference.
chvad
spacenoodle wrote:
You could get hold of a Syhthoma Elkorus and run any basic synth into it. I use it sometimes with a Reface CS, Juno, Nord and even the Streichfett (an improvement over the ensemble FX).

those things are hard to find though. ive wanted one forever!
Blairio
digitalganesha wrote:
I know you said older, but as someone who was in essentially the same need as you were years ago; I am beyond happy with what I did. I second the Nord Electro notion. If you can afford the newest one, you can even (finally) layer sounds. The Electro gives you attack and release controls, FX and an EQ over your sounds per patch. They have a ton of string samples on their site including the Farsisa Synorchestra and the Eminent 301 which is pure bliss. AND it sounds EXACT. I made my own samples off my ARP Omni II and there's no difference.

I have an electro 3 (no split or layer), and a 5 (split or layer). Both sound great. The new Electro 6 moves things on, with cross fades, layers, a second split point, and a bunch more goodies besides. the Electro 5 doesn't allow layering or splitting two sample patches (as opposed to piano + sample, or organ + sample). Maybe the Electro 6 does.....
calaveras
The Streichfett is pretty flexible for a stringer. The newest firmware will actually let you pan the string and synth voices so you can get separate outs.
I'm considering picking up the full keyboard version myself.

OTOH, all the patches do sound kind of similar. I've ended up using the same general preamp and EQ settings when recording to soften it up. But to be fair. Back in the day when JMJ, New Order, Tubeway Army etc were recording stringers, they likely did quite a bit of studio processing to get that sound.
MindMachine
Once the Behringer VP330 mini clone comes out, it might be good enough. Sounds a little bright in the few demos so far.
digitalganesha
calaveras wrote:
But to be fair. Back in the day when JMJ, New Order, Tubeway Army etc were recording stringers, they likely did quite a bit of studio processing to get that sound.

Actually for the most part, besides for phaser and delay/verb, it's amazing how little effort it requires to be in instant phasing ensemble bliss with most of them. My OmniII paired with a Maestro phaser and a Strymon dig is instant euphoria.

Here's how awesome the Eminent immediately sounds.
lumenk
MindMachine wrote:
Once the Behringer VP330 mini clone comes out, it might be good enough. Sounds a little bright in the few demos so far.

Agreed.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1