MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Justin's Eurorack Diary
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Justin's Eurorack Diary
jmeisse
Inspired by other diaries here, I decided to document my own Eurorack adventure.

I started out building my own skiff from some scrap plywood and pegboard I had laying around

I ordered a pre-owned Maths and Rings off of Reverb as well as a prebuilt uBurst. The Rings seller was local so I got it first and I had to install it despite not having a power supply yet. I've ordered an Intellijel TPS30 MAX.

Since there's nothing to wiggle yet, here's an old recording of a DIY sequencer I built driving an Atari Punk Console to something that almost sounds musical. [s]http://soundcloud.com/doctornode/arpeggio-556[/s]
justin3am
This isn't my eurorack adventure! You're a fraud! Dead Banana
jmeisse
sad banana
cptnal
For a few chunks of wood that's a decent looking skiff. Looking forward to seeing it develop. thumbs up
matttech
Vented too!
Baddcr
cptnal wrote:
For a few chunks of wood that's a decent looking skiff. Looking forward to seeing it develop. thumbs up

I agree grin

Good work!! Best wishes for your journey This is fun!
BaloErets
Welcome to the start of an amazing journey! Looking forwards to your progress!
Aaronautical001
Baddcr wrote:
cptnal wrote:

I agree grin

Good work!! Best wishes for your journey This is fun!

Great DIY skills, looks fantastic! looking forward to seeing what you fill it with.

Are you going to build any modules as well?
Aja
Following this thread with great interest thumbs up
jmeisse
Thanks for all the positive vibes!

I got my Intellijel power unit in from Perfect Circuit Audio, I was surprised to find candy in the box, I'll definitely shop with them again! Unfortunately I ordered my ac adapter off of Amazon and it got delayed, so no power until Tuesday.

I was going to try and build the uBurst kit but a big chunk of the components were back ordered until November. I have a decent collection of through hole components and ICs so I might try making some utilities like mults, dividers, or whatever. I also have some cheap Danelectro Echo and Delay pedals I wanted to hack into modules if that's doable. If anyone has suggestions on handy DIY circuits I can make on strip or proto board, I'm all ears!
Jay F.
Hi,

Nice skiff you're starting here.

About including guitar effects into Eurorak here is my take on it :
https://growyoursynth.blogspot.be/2017/09/guitar-effect-in-eurorack-mo dule.html

I also used Ken's Stone's stomp box adapter circuit that I modified slightly to have an interface to guitar pedals into my output interface module:
https://growyoursynth.blogspot.be/2018/04/output.html

Take care,
jmeisse
Jay F.: thanks for the links. Most of my DIY synth work has been circuit bending and anti theory so maybe my plan on modding guitar pedals is beyond my current skill set.

Power brick came in today, I'm expecting the uBurst on Wednesday along with some aluminum sheet for some DIY modules. Maths is super confusing! So I took a break and hooked my Keystep into Rings. Recorded with my crappy phone with sound through my speakers

Things I noticed: The Keystep is triggering really high notes, is that something that can be fixed with attenuation? Another odd thing is when I patch Pitch out from the Keystep into v/oct on Rings, it still triggers it without gate patched.
starthief
Rings generates its own triggers when V/OCT changes (unless it's gradual), if you don't have anything patched into Strum.
jmeisse
Thanks, I was worried the Keystep had some sort of nonstandard output or it was something going on with Rings.

So since the Keystep pitch is +4 off (i think) could I get a Links, feed the pitch from the Keystep into the summer and channel 2 or 3 from the maths to drop it down? I was looking at a Distings MK4 but that looks like more menu diving than I want right now. A little more searching and I think the A-185-2 might be what I want?
Radical Ans
jmeisse wrote:
Thanks, I was worried the Keystep had some sort of nonstandard output or it was something going on with Rings.

So since the Keystep pitch is +4 off (i think) could I get a Links, feed the pitch from the Keystep into the summer and channel 2 or 3 from the maths to drop it down? I was looking at a Distings MK4 but that looks like more menu diving than I want right now. A little more searching and I think the A-185-2 might be what I want?

+1 for A-185-2 I have 2 and they're always handy for raising/lowering octaves or transposing with a slow sequence, CV keyboard, or MIDI to CV Converter. Paired with a quantizer you can use them to add/subtract two CVs and get weird and interesting melodies.
SCOOBA_TANK
How about a MEGA HIGH FIVE for those Old El Paso blind panels!?!?! #tacosforever
jmeisse
Cool! I was drawn to the A-185-2 because it seems to pack a lot of functionality into a small space without being inscrutable.

High five back, SCOOBA_TANK, and remember: Tacocat spelled backwards is still Tacocat
SCOOBA_TANK
jmeisse wrote:
High five back, SCOOBA_TANK, and remember: Tacocat spelled backwards is still Tacocat

Haha! Exactly!
ben_hex
liking the old El Paso blank panels! Looks like you’re off to a good start. Enjoy the journey. [/s]
jmeisse
I copied the patching by Comparitive Irrelevance as a base (except, ST0): https://imgur.com/a/0hbNA

and did a bit more wiggling on it to get a spooky drone. I converted it to stereo and added a delay with software.
[s]http://soundcloud.com/doctornode/a-modulated-landscape-number-1[/s]
jmeisse
uBurst installed along with a diy passive attenuator and blank panel. I've got a 2hp dual sample & hold and an A-185-2 incoming. After that I've got components from Tayda coming in to make some simple DIY modules.

Radical Ans
uBurst is the micro clouds right?
jmeisse
Radical Ans wrote:
uBurst is the micro clouds right?

Yup and it's very confusing! I found a clouds cheat sheet that I'm going to take and swap out the image for uBurst because I can't just go by knob color and placement.

No new modules in but I accidentally created a weird song messing around with my Keystep in sequencer mode.
[s]http://soundcloud.com/doctornode/alien-step[/s]
strangegravity
Nice! Looking forward to watching your progress.
jmeisse
Just when I thought I had Rings figured out I found out about the 3 other resonator modes and the easter egg mode. I've got Maths twiddling structure and sequenced with the Keystep.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/doctornode/cubic-fields[/s]

I also picked up a little Sony SRS XB-10 speaker for a little more mobility with where I do my wiggling.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2