MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Elektrofon KLANG
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Elektrofon KLANG
muddy ranks
Didn't see a Klang-specific post so I figured I'd put one up in anticipation of this snazzy lookin' chord generating thingamabob! Seems to be getting a strong response since it's appearance at Superbooth due to it's seemingly simple controls, and fun, elegant interface design. Personally, I'm pretty stoked about it. Looks like it'd be fun to play around with and learn. But, then again, that's kinda how I feel about most gear.

http://elektrofon.no/

Thoughts?
muddy ranks
Also, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong when I'm trying to post a video? It always just shows the URL between the bracketed video commands. Not sure what I'm not doing correctly but I'd appreciate some help with that. d'oh! help
limpmeat
I think you need to remove the "s" after http.
geremyf
I really dig it. Only thing I would add is I would a configurable offset/attenuate of the direction voltage manually. It isn't a big deal because the default offset is 1 step forward.

Also, is the transpose input internally quantized or simply added to the root? Are microtones possible? Is there a way to set an output in between notes or is it strictly 12tet?
muddy ranks
limpmeat wrote:
I think you need to remove the "s" after http.

That did it! Thanks! SlayerBadger!
muddy ranks
geremyf wrote:
I really dig it. Only thing I would add is I would a configurable offset/attenuate of the direction voltage manually. It isn't a big deal because the default offset is 1 step forward.

Also, is the transpose input internally quantized or simply added to the root? Are microtones possible? Is there a way to set an output in between notes or is it strictly 12tet?

I'm also curious about the microtone possibility, but the site makes no mention of it at this point. I'm hoping the developer(s) are forum members and will be able to fill in the blanks as they arise. There were a number of videos posted from Superbooth so perhaps some of your questions might've been addressed in them, I'll let you know if any answers pop up when I check 'em out.
rew_
what a playful and unique interface. more like this!
peripatitis
Ok so this yes is a new interface design.
Very interesting!
lud
Lovely design, unique looking
Shledge
Love the design, seems rather straightforward to use!

This is how you design modules, people. No wanky manuals, no wanky obfuscation. cool
Trebbers
Will look nice in people's racks, but I don't know if it's for me if you're just limited to creating chords manually. If it allows you to set a key and browse chords/inversions in that key and save your progressions then I'm on board.
hawkfuzz
I like the transpose function. It could be fun for a small chord system. Wish it had trig out and an ability to use microtonal notes.
sempervirent
It's an inventive concept and interface. The creator is obviously someone with a design background and Eurorack in general could use a lot more of that. It's the first module that I'm aware of to repurpose an OLED screen intended for use in smart watches.

It's nicely done and I'm curious to see if they develop more modules in the future.

One thing that I find interesting is that the jacks, knobs, and buttons all appear to be custom made. Having the buttons sit flush with the panel like that is pretty slick. But in the video it's not easy to see all the hardware bits that are shown in the 3D rendering posted above.

I would second the requests above for microtonal possibilities. Surely there's a good way to provide an interface for that, although transposition, etc becomes infinitely more complex outside of the 12-TET paradigm.
pre55ure
sempervirent wrote:
It's an inventive concept and interface. The creator is obviously someone with a design background and Eurorack in general could use a lot more of that. It's the first module that I'm aware of to repurpose an OLED screen intended for use in smart watches.

It's nicely done and I'm curious to see if they develop more modules in the future.

One thing that I find interesting is that the jacks, knobs, and buttons all appear to be custom made. Having the buttons sit flush with the panel like that is pretty slick. But in the video it's not easy to see all the hardware bits that are shown in the 3D rendering posted above.

I would second the requests above for microtonal possibilities. Surely there's a good way to provide an interface for that, although transposition, etc becomes infinitely more complex outside of the 12-TET paradigm.

I met the designer/developer at SB and he was a very nice guy.
He is really into industrial design and basically designed his own knobs and jack (covers) so that the module matched his aesthetic sensibilities. If i recall correctly he had worked on some larger scale projects in the past and had a pretty good knowledge of injection molding processes etc...

I don't think the module had any microtonal functionality at this point, but it might be worth shooting him an email to suggest it.
ben_hex
Care and attention to details from the man behind this was great. Enjoyed my brief time chatting to him.

https://youtu.be/L7PGPZrO0Uk

outfigurable
This looks like a fun module. One suggestion (maybe obvious) - when you change chords, the hands in the circular display should animate into position. Would look cool, and also make it easier to see what changed.
Jaypee
What a design! and instant fun! I'm in!
elektrofon
Thanks for the great feedback guys!
And thank you for creating the post muddy ranks :-)

I got a couple of visitors at the booth that also asked about microtonal scales.
Since I designed this module for my own use, and I have no personal need for something other that the chromatic scale – I didn't spend any time developing the software needed to handle custom musical scales for the prototype.

However, I have a couple of ideas on how to solve multiple scales in a manner that doesn't clutter the interface, or degrade the focus I have on no-nonsense instant usability. The best idea I have for solving this will be price-dependent – meaning it has the possibility of making the product to pricy. This is a thing I'm only going to know for sure when I get the offers back from my production partners.

For now, just rest assured that I'm looking into solving custom scales :-)

geremyf wrote:
Is the transpose input internally quantized or simply added to the root? Are microtones possible? Is there a way to set an output in between notes or is it strictly 12tet?

Everything is "quantized" in this module. The transpose CV simply takes a +-5V CV and transposes the active chord up or down. -5V will transpose it 1 octave lower, and +5V will transpose it 1 octave higher. You can think of it as 5V/octave (quantized). This is how it works in the prototype. I have yet to decide if this is the best way of doing things, or if I should somehow make the transpose input 1V/octave.

For my use it works great with the current setup, because it affords very easy dial-in of a precise transpose with any analogue voltage source in my rack (pressure points, maths, etc.). A 1V/octave would give you more range, but at the cost of very finicky dial-in. The freedom it gives you is also unnecessary in most use-cases, as you would very seldomly need to transpose more than within +-1 octave.

Trebbers wrote:
If it allows you to set a key and browse chords/inversions in that key and save your progressions then I'm on board.

This module is all about manual control. My personal need was to represent 4 fingers on a piano with a user interface that offered intuitive control over this at a minimum amount of HP.

I contemplated similar use-cases like the one you envision when I was designing the concept. I abandoned the idea of making it a "chord helper" early on because I'm not really into those types of tools. Another reason that made it hard to implement is my absolute rule of "no menus" ;-) A chord helper would have to look much different for it to make sense without a menu. The interface would have to include controls for inversion, key, progression selection and all the other things that would make such a module usable. I think it would make a great project to make such a module, and perhaps I will take you up on that challenge one day ;-)

hawkfuzz wrote:
Wish it had trig out

Yes! I have an expander in the works to unlock more advanced stuff like this.
One of the things the expander should include is 4 trigger outs, that generates a trigger when a voice changes state. Another thing the expander will include is midi in and out. Midi in for setting chords with a keyboard.

sempervirent wrote:

Thank you sempervirent. That's a great compliment.
I have lots of modules and other things in the works! My utmost wish is to be able to work on this full-time. It's absolutely the most interesting work I have done in a long time – a type of work that demands my entire skillset, and luckily also all my favorite things and interests ;-)

The buttons and jack rings are all custom. I'm tooling up to produce custom parts for all my future products. If all goes as planned I'm also going to offer consultation on that part of product development to other small manufacturers like myself. I talked to a few a Superbooth who was interested in that type of service.

outfigurable wrote:
One suggestion (maybe obvious) - when you change chords, the hands in the circular display should animate into position. Would look cool, and also make it easier to see what changed.

I had the same exact thought when I developed the software. I'm coming from a graphics programming background, and animation is a big part of what I do in my daily work. The thing that made me question the implementation of animated dials is the abstraction of cause and effect in the UI design. I designed the UI so that the voices originates from the display, and terminates at the outputs. This concept determines the causality of an animated dial – it would logically create an "animated" output, or in other words a slew effect. If the order of operation was the other way around, or if there was an originator with seniority over the visualization – it would of course be no problem to have a non-affecting animation of the dials.
I hope I explained that without babbling to much ;-) I'm a master of jibber jabber. Hehehe.

____

Again; thank you all for the great feedback!
I hope to have more information soon, and I'm working on adding a newsletter signup on my web page. You can of course sign up now by shooting me an email (hello@elektrofon.no)

- RUNE
geremyf
I think transpose would be infinitely more useful at 1V/oct. Not because of octave range but because most things output 1V/oct. I think many folks would use this in conjunction with a monophonic sequencer or keyboard feeding transpose.

Intellijel originally did it your suggested way with their metropolis sequencer, but after literally years of requests, they finally added 1V/oct transpose and everybody was happy.
elektrofon
geremyf wrote:
I think transpose would be infinitely more useful at 1V/oct.

I hear you Geremy. Good point about the keyboard! I'm going to look into supporting both modes (1V/oct and 5V/oct) with a dip switch or a jumper smile
elektrofon
Newsletter signup is up and running on http://elektrofon.no
TheSolenoids
Saw it at Superbooth. Want!
Monkizzle
Nice and functional, really in love with this sweet staightfoward design. applause
McRINdk
any news on development and launch?
Summa
McRINdk wrote:
any news on development and launch?

I follow the progress via Instagram and I think it progresses fine, I for one wouldn't want to rush such a project, too many half-assed things already available, better get things right from the get go.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3