MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Graphic Waveform Generator Model 268e
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Graphic Waveform Generator Model 268e
traffkin
We here at Keen Association, are very proud again to introduce our Graphic Waveform Generator Model 268e, the module we've been designing, experimenting with and improving during last two years.

The main idea is a virtual tape upon which any waveform is drawable, by hand or automatically. Possible everlasting phase-shifting makes the sound vivid and mercurial.

268e is a quad system so the user gets four oscillators, freely configurable. We started to design it as a compliment to our Model 220 but later realised that it fits perfectly in any controller paradigm.

The run is just 20 units

price is $1600 USD, worldwide shipping included

people who interested please pm me

technical stuff:
Synesthesia
Hey !

looks fantastic. applause

any idea of price yet ?
mritenburg
Does it work with the 200e preset manager?
deltaphoenix
Yes it does work with the 200e preset manager.
lumin
been repeating to myself "must. not. start. a. modular."
this looks really cool
smurphd
lumin wrote:
this looks really cool

You've been repeating that since 2011?
traffkin
yes it does smile

mritenburg wrote:
Does it work with the 200e preset manager?
traffkin
sorry! info updated

Synesthesia wrote:
Hey !

looks fantastic. applause

any idea of price yet ?
traffkin
thumbs up

deltaphoenix wrote:
Yes it does work with the 200e preset manager.
ritchiedrums
lumin
smurphd wrote:
lumin wrote:
this looks really cool

You've been repeating that since 2011?

I have been blessed with the gift of willpower. Which has been slowly decreasing the more I visit threads like these...
rayce
Looks great. Really cool that it responds to the preset manager.

Can the pitch of the 4 oscillators be addressed by a 225e over the 4 channels of the 200e internal bus?
traffkin
no, sorry, we prefer analog patching cool

but in some future, who knows...

rayce wrote:
Can the pitch of the 4 oscillators be addressed by a 225e over the 4 channels of the 200e internal bus?
ritchiedrums
I think the "Drawing" your own waves is cool,
but is there an easy way to call up SINE, SAW, etc?

Guinness ftw!
traffkin
isn’t there quite a lot such oscillators with such capabilities? smile

ritchiedrums wrote:
I think the "Drawing" your own waves is cool,
but is there an easy way to call up SINE, SAW, etc?

Guinness ftw!
ritchiedrums
traffkin wrote:
:
[/quote]

ONLY ABOUT A MILLION! applause
traffkin
hihi

well, speaking seriously, there'll be "reset to sine" feature in a while, pretty useful for various modulation stuff

ritchiedrums wrote:
traffkin wrote:
:

ONLY ABOUT A MILLION! applause[/quote]
Yes Powder
I remember reading some things like ten years ago about something called "scanned synthesis" but didn't see much on it after that.
Is that what this is based on? It seems similar, and really cool!
traffkin
i have not read anything on that but it is interesting, will try to find the info.
my idea derived solely from the cardiographic tape i watched once upon a time several years ago

Yes Powder wrote:
I remember reading some things like ten years ago about something called "scanned synthesis" but didn't see much on it after that.
Is that what this is based on? It seems similar, and really cool!
cygmu
Here's a paper on it:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/61f4/4570ec886b07c79e0461cb62892d3fc7 b45a.pdf

Quite interesting and apparently similar. They use a physical model of a string to generate the wave shape and let the performer manipulate the string in various ways to change the timbre. This quote near the end is perhaps relevant:
Quote:

Since the scanning process is independent of the computation of the string shape, it is possible to stop modifying the string shape (freeze the string) but continue scanning and hearing the now unvarying spectrum. The effect is dramatic. Within seconds after the string is frozen, the timbre becomes dull and uninteresting.

I seem to recall there was a Eurorack module a few months ago that claimed to use a variant on scanned synthesis, but certainly nothing so visual as the Keen module.
traffkin
thanks, i'll have a look!

cygmu wrote:
Here's a paper on it:

Quite interesting and apparently similar. They use a physical model of a string to generate the wave shape and let the performer manipulate the string in various ways to change the timbre. This quote near the end is perhaps relevant:
Quote:

Since the scanning process is independent of the computation of the string shape, it is possible to stop modifying the string shape (freeze the string) but continue scanning and hearing the now unvarying spectrum. The effect is dramatic. Within seconds after the string is frozen, the timbre becomes dull and uninteresting.

I seem to recall there was a Eurorack module a few months ago that claimed to use a variant on scanned synthesis, but certainly nothing so visual as the Keen module.
traffkin
similar but not the same definitely, i don't have a buffer and can't scan anything out of what is on the screen which is not literally scanned but just played back. when the "tape" stopped the spectrum and phase gets frozen otherwise there's permanents phase shifting. but the idea in the paper is very interesting and promising! thanks again

cygmu wrote:
Here's a paper on it:

Quote:

Kent
I’ve just installed mine tonight and got some rich sounds out of it. I still don’t fully understand the device and will dive into the menu this weekend.

Classy and well-thought-out product, Alex w00t
traffkin
it is not too much in the menu yet but it will grow smile

Kent wrote:
I’ve just installed mine tonight and got some rich sounds out of it. I still don’t fully understand the device and will dive into the menu this weekend.

Classy and well-thought-out product, Alex w00t
Kent
Right you are. Menu is simple. Oscillator is complex and rich. Wow! Such an interesting & novel addition to the 200e. See/listen below.
Kent
The Soundcloud file is annotated in order to explain major changes.
Link for when the embed code borks:
268e Stumblethrough on SC

[s]http://bit.ly/2KhxDtc[/s]

Description from SC:
===
This is a simple example of polyphonic use of the 268e Graphic Waveform Generator by Keen Association from Moscow, Russia.

If you like harsher sounds, go to the middle point and listen from there. Audio rate modulation makes for great noise.

See the tags within the playback stream for annotations regarding what is happening. However, the quick rundown is that:
• I start in Motion Detector mode and use the "manual" knob to adjust the timbre.
• Tape Speed is manipulated throughout the demo by an LFO and/or by hand.
• The track switches to Continuous Mode via the orange pulse input jack (thanks for including this feature, Alex)
• In Continuous Mode, I have each oscillator set to "INDIVIDUAL" in terms of their respective modulation sources.
• Modulation comes from the quadrature outputs of a MkII Cyndustries ZOe.
• The backing sequence is the other lovely Preset Management-capable non-Buchla oscillator, the Studio H Dual Programmable Oscillator.
• The VCAs are the Eardrill q.vca. No LPGs.

I believe this to be a lovely oscillator bank that brings 4 unique sounding oscillators into a very compact form factor. It adheres to and leverages the Buchla USA Preset Management system as well as having a limited degree of onboard memory.

Early wishes? More CV inputs for use with the 223e. It would be nice to have discrete inputs for use with the discrete outputs of each 'voice' on the 223e. This is to say, the ability to leverage polyphonic "Location", "Pressure", etc.

With that stated, it is early days for this unit. Alex may well add more to the menu in terms of features. I just got this thing and it has been my case for about 4 days. I'm still figuring out where the beauty lies.
deltaphoenix
I was going to try and do a video but had a little technical difficulty...

[s]https://soundcloud.com/heragicctor/buchla-is-back [/s]

My notes aren't as good as Ken's. Definitely a jam session

Like Ken, I started in Motion Detector mode and used the manual knob for timbre changes (and I ended that way). I also used a Studio H DPO (258e) as the other sound source (and FM source for the 268e).

I recorded this late last night so I don't remember how I set the 268e for the middle "parts".

I used a 223e for the arps (waiting on my midi breakout panel so I can use other sequencing), Function generators, some CV processing, a LPG, a bandpass filter and a touch of noise.

I too am in the early stages of getting to know this lovely oscillator. I decided to take a risk and get this as one of my 2 oscillators in my 12 space case and so far, I am absolutely loving it!
vgermuse
Just out of the box! I don’t know what I’m doing but
I’m liking it! w00t

As I begin to grok it I will do some proper demos/tutorials.

Kent
Nice one, Todd. I take it that you were using M'Detector mode with the following going on:

• First two 268e oscillators fed by channels 1 & 2, respectively, of the 250e
• Channels 1 & 2 of the 250e also going to the Studio H 8-channel voltage processor for offsetting the pitch CVs
• 261e LFO doing panning of 206e channel 1 and changing the Attack Time of Channel 3 of the 281e
• FRV is modulating 206e's 6th channel
• It appears that two of the CV outputs on the 268e are going to the outputs of the FRV on the 266e as well? Is that the case? And if so, to what end? Isn't that not kosher in the 200e world? It is difficult to tell with the viewing angle. Is one of the yellow bananas in the Black Input or the Purple output? Looking at it in full screen mode, it could be in the Black one. The other cable is definitely in the Blue Output though, correct?

Cool sounding patch. Throw some slew on it!
traffkin
Kent wrote:

• It appears that two of the CV outputs on the 268e are going to the outputs of the FRV on the 266e as well? Is that the case? And if so, to what end? Isn't that not kosher in the 200e world? It is difficult to tell with the viewing angle. Is one of the yellow bananas in the Black Input or the Purple output? Looking at it in full screen mode, it could be in the Black one. The other cable is definitely in the Blue Output though, correct?

even if so, it is easily acceptable in 268e as all cv outputs there are diode protected so can be safely mixed to one patchpoint
ritchiedrums
vgermuse
Hey Ritchie, you beat me to it! hihi

Here's the text:

I'm beginning my learning process of the Keen Association Buchla format 268e Graphic Waveform Generator. This is just my personal "take" so the technical terms are not precise but hopefully the flow and visuals will unfold the basic processes. More to come... w00t

rayce
Great demos!

You've opened my eyes to the possibilities of this thing. Unique and colorful. Definitely a nice addition to the Buchla environment. Seems like something the Don would appreciate.

Hadn't planned on getting one but after seeing what it can do I'm in.

Rockin' Banana!
vgermuse
Slowly I learn, step by step. Here is my next tutorial on the 268e. Enjoy and Explore!

ritchiedrums
It appears that we have all gotten hung up on analog sounds the past decade(including myself)

Starting to realize that a lot of the sounds that brought Buchla to my attention are digital

we're not worthy
Leoespejo
vgermuse, sir you are really dangerous person !!! (of corse I'm saying this with all my admiration and respect)

now I want one of those...woah

-What about some barton-krelish with fou osc ?
- Have you experimented with a mic, 230e, and CV into 268e?
- What if you use a banana to Tiny converter and put some noises from 259e ?

More I nees more nanners
vgermuse
Leoespejo wrote:
vgermuse

-What about some barton-krelish with fou osc ?
- Have you experimented with a mic, 230e, and CV into 268e?
- What if you use a banana to Tiny converter and put some noises from 259e ?

More I nees more nanners

Hehe! Thanks Leo! Those are all fantastic ideas and techniques to explore.
I’m approaching this slowly (along with 9 other projects). Maybe other folks
with this module can post these and other explorations. w00t
ritchiedrums
I would love to hear something with just a 252e & 268e if any of you have the time
Mr. Squiggle
More audio demos please
vgermuse
Looking at patching all 4 oscillators, enjoy! Ooops, typo on first screen should read 268e

deltaphoenix
Now that was awesome, Todd!
ritchiedrums
applause applause applause
island
thumbs up thumbs up
Mr. Squiggle
applause
Leoespejo
Awesome !!! vgermuse

applause applause applause
Macron
All sounds from 268e, enjoy!
[s]https://soundcloud.com/sergey-macron/buchla-trax-04[/s]
maciej83
traffkin wrote:

rayce wrote:

Does it respond to midi/internal bus at all then? I mean just one voice?
If not, would it be hard to implement?
traffkin
it doesn't but still possible.

no such plans for nearest updates

maciej83 wrote:
traffkin wrote:

rayce wrote:

Does it respond to midi/internal bus at all then? I mean just one voice?
If not, would it be hard to implement?
mutierend
I *love* my 268e. It sounds great and it's really fun to use.
traffkin
w00t w00t w00t

mutierend wrote:
I *love* my 268e. It sounds great and it's really fun to use.
Leoespejo
Wooow,

I just received mine and after a few minutes, I can asure that it sounds amazing.

Now one question, how can I acces the modulation page ? can I change the kind of modulation ?
traffkin
will be added soon in the upcoming updates! btw, we have pretty big plans for this module, it promises to become something really one of its kind

Leoespejo wrote:
Now one question, how can I acces the modulation page ? can I change the kind of modulation ?
Leoespejo
traffkin wrote:
will be added soon in the upcoming updates! btw, we have pretty big plans for this module, it promises to become something really one of its kind

Great, but could you please explain the update procedure (kit, app, OS) ?
traffkin
you'll find all you need in the beginning of this thread, as attachments

Leoespejo wrote:
traffkin wrote:

Great, but could you please explain the update procedure (kit, app, OS) ?
Leoespejo
traffkin wrote:

Maybe I wasn't clear, I was asking for the procedure to update or upgrade the 268's firmware. There's only the owner's manual.
traffkin
ups! sorry! forgot to put it there... will do today!

Leoespejo wrote:
traffkin wrote:

Maybe I wasn't clear, I was asking for the procedure to update or upgrade the 268's firmware. There's only the owner's manual.
traffkin
actually, we're preparing major firmware update and i'll put all needed instructions in the beginning of this thread as soon as it is ready. in fact, the update routine is exactly the same as for the model 220.

traffkin wrote:
ups! sorry! forgot to put it there... will do today!

Leoespejo wrote:
traffkin wrote:

mutierend
traffkin wrote:
actually, we're preparing major firmware update and i'll put all needed instructions in the beginning of this thread as soon as it is ready. in fact, the update routine is exactly the same as for the model 220.

Any hint on when the firmware update will arrive? I love my 268e and I'd love to get more out of it.
traffkin
mutierend wrote:
traffkin wrote:

Any hint on when the firmware update will arrive? I love my 268e and I'd love to get more out of it.

we're trying to publish the update within a month and it promises to be a major one - symmetry modulation, sine oscillator bank and other goodies
deltaphoenix
traffkin wrote:
mutierend wrote:
traffkin wrote:

we're trying to publish the update within a month and it promises to be a major one - symmetry modulation, sine oscillator bank and other goodies

SlayerBadger!
mutierend
traffkin wrote:
mutierend wrote:
traffkin wrote:

hyper
ritchiedrums
updating the 220 is simple Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 3