MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Windows 10 DPC Latency? wdf01000.sys and how to fix?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Windows 10 DPC Latency? wdf01000.sys and how to fix?
nocontact
Hello,

here comes a long one for you experienced DAW/Windows users!

I've recently purchased a new machine and Ableton 10 after years of Reaper + hardware sequencer use and must say I'm quiet happy about exchanging interfaces. I'm particularly happy about how smoothly it runs on my computer, both audio and CPU wise, as I've read couple of horror stories about very capable machines being unable to run the Live 10 without due to alot of CPU problems. My machine is a 100% updated Windows/driver wise Lenovo Legion y520, i7 7700HQ, 24gb DDR4 RAM and 500gb SSD drive, so the laptop is obviously beyond capable of bedroom production and than some.

However, when I first plugged the machine and set it up + followed every instruction I could find online on how to optimize Windows 10 for DAW usage, the system was totally broken - just pops and crackles. Thats when I learned about "DPC Latency". After some Googling, I downloaded Latencymon and tracked down what drivers were causing the latency, and the reason for total audio crackles was the driver for my WIFI (which seems to be quiet common) and also some latency from the driver for the nvidia video cardd (which appearantly has shitty drivers for audio). I disabled those as, along with the webcam, bluetooth cardreader and couple of other drivers I'd never be using for a computer that is only used for DAW and wont even be connected to the internet. My computer has a Intel HD 630 Graphics interface whom does not seem to be causing any issues according to latencymon like the nvidia card did.

So, after disabling the WIFI driver, my machine went from being 100% useless due to dropouts and all red traces in Latencymon to being perfectly fine, all green traces in Latencymon, and after disabling the other drivers, my system is pretty smooth. However, Latencymon still reports that wdf01000.sys is causing alot of latency, but not those terrible CPU spikes all the time like my wifi card, so there is no dropouts/crackling unless I drive the CPU very hard with vst instruments. I've noticed like one second of droput maybe once every few hours on projects with some VST instruments (I'm mainly sequencing external hardware and using Totalmix/Ableton as mixer). Is that normal Windows 10 performance, or maybe just Ableton 10 yet to become stable?

I've not found a single conclusion on how to disable this wdf01000.sys driver on Google, but couple of other users have been experiencing Latencymon reporting wdf01000.sys as a source of DPC latency, but I'm not sure how bad they were. In my case it does not strike me as a problem, but rather as a psychologial itch, i'm sure many of you are familiar with that feeling.

So, I guess my question is, is DPC latency inevitable in Windows 10 and something users just live with or can it be minimzied even further than already having a smooth system? Latencymon says my system is now "Capable of audio work without dropouts" which is right, no red traces over there and no constant crackle/dropout. Does "DPC Latency" even matter if audio playback is smooth and glitch free? After all, I'm using RME which has the best ASIO drivers. Does anybody have any knowledge about this wdf01000.sys driver who is the main source of DPC latency on my system and can it be disabled like the WIFI/Nvidia driver problems to reduce the Latency Latencymon is reporting even further?

TL;DR Is DPC latency on a Windows 10 inevitable to some degree, is a one second dropout/crackle once every few hours of VST DAW work in Ableton 10.0.1 normal or abnormal if the system with a expensive RME card is up and running, and does anybody know how to disable that wdf01000.sys which Latencymon reports to be the last source of some DPC latency on my computer?

Thank you so much for giving your time to read this, I'm sure the wdf01000.sys driver is cursing many Windows 10 Lenovo laptops, as other people are experiencing this online!
Ranxerox
Use msconfig utility in Windows to find and deactivate the service. You could also try finding and renaming the file in the System32/drivers directory, then restarting.
nocontact
Ranxerox wrote:
Use msconfig utility in Windows to find and deactivate the service. You could also try finding and renaming the file in the System32/drivers directory, then restarting.

Thanks for the answer.

Edit: Just wondering, have you experienced this particular problem too? Couldn't disabling a service essentially be bad for Windows? Google seem to relate this file to blue screens, which doesn't sound particularly exciting to just "try if it works." eek!
Ranxerox
Well, it's up to you. Some services are critical and others aren't. Experimentation has its risks, but if something goes wrong there's usually a way back in the form of booting in safe mode and restarting the service.
nocontact
Thank you so much for the reply! Well, Latencymon reports quiet a lot of latency from this particular driver. I suppose trying to deactivate it is better idea than to rename it?

"Description: Wdf01000.sys is not essential for Windows and will often cause problems. Wdf01000.sys is located in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder. Known file sizes on Windows 10/8/7/XP are 492,000 bytes (71% of all occurrences), 444,136 bytes and 5 more variants. https://www.file.net/process/wdf01000.sys.html"
commodorejohn
nocontact wrote:
Edit: Just wondering, have you experienced this particular problem too? Couldn't disabling a service essentially be bad for Windows? Google seem to relate this file to blue screens, which doesn't sound particularly exciting to just "try if it works." eek!

Modern NT-derived Windows is pretty resilient about this stuff and you can disable a lot of miscellaneous services without compromising core system functionality. Of course, things that depend on those services won't work, but it's hard to actually bring down a system doing this. Back when I was still using XP as my daily driver, I had everything related to printing, Remote Desktop, and a handful of other miscellany turned off and never had any issues.

That said, this specific file appears to be part of the kernel-mode driver system, which probably shouldn't be (and probably can't be) disabled. You're probably seeing this because some specific driver running under that wrapper is causing these issues, rather than that file itself - see if you can poke around more and find out what's running under it.
nocontact
Hello and thank you for the answer!

After some more frustrating Googling, i've decided to leave that service thing alone. I'm totally stoked that I've ran across at least 5 various website threads regarding this particular file causing DPC Latency but not a single one way solution, not even a clue, but than again, I'm no computer guy.

Sorry, as this is not your problem, but could you've maybe got some suggestions? I've disabled pretty much every "useless" device in device manager that is obviously not of benefit for DAW work. Disabling WIFI and the Nvidia drivers did the most work, but this wdf01000.sys still shows up in Latencymon. I have no idea what I'm even looking for. seriously, i just don't get it

I'd also like to know if audio dropping out randomly for a second once every hour or so, but working 99% of the time flawlessly, both for recording and playback - is that something that should be considered "normal behavior" or DPC latency problem, caused by that wdf10000.sys curse? The CPU spikes are not there anymore, as far as I know, at least no nasty "crackling" thousand times a minuite like before I deactivated the WIFI driver.
nocontact
Feels like I've searched every thread on the internet. So many users experiencing this but every thread on various forums just ends with nothing. Nada. Not a clue. I think this is the first time since I started using the internet that I've ran into a computer problem where there seems to be no solution on the internet. sad banana
commodorejohn
I'd say if it's not causing you any issues, don't worry about it. Otherwise, yeah, the unfortunate fact here is that you're looking at an issue that's really only of interest to one or two specialized niche userbases (audio guys and maybe hardcore bleeding-edge gamers,) plus the compounding factor of Windows 10 basically just being made out of lies and hatred. Five years from now there may be a well-documented solution to this, but right now Win10 is still pretty new and everybody who knows anything about fixing these kinds of issues hates touching it because Windows Update will just reset things back to however it wants next time the moon is full anyway.
Soy Sos
Gonna key an eye here, I have my new windows machine waiting for me to switch over from apple. Will take my time with the learning curve.
nocontact
I've yet to get to the bottom of this mystery, but in the meantime, I'm going to leave it be and get back to making music (while everything is working I guess). That mystery will eventually be solved by some genius, but that won't be me - I've posted to multiple forums and nobody has the answer, but many friendly people with good answers/suggestions etc. Thanks alot for the replies!

All I know is that my system is working free from dropouts now and wont be connected to the internet again unless I need to activate something. No more screwing around with drivers/updating Windows etc unless necessary, as it turns out that 1100 ┬Ás of DPC is the best my system will deliver until wdf01000.sys mystery is solved. Thats not so bad anyway.

And it looks like 10.0.2 or other version in the future will eventually add multicore processing for M4L devices - which should hopefully mean even better performance (for both Windows and Mac users).

From the 10.0.2.b3 Beta release notes:

Quote:
Multicore rendering in Live is now supported also if a set contains Max for Live devices.
Soy Sos
Anjuchauhan12 wrote:
If you are facing the error regarding of wdf01000.sys file then you go this link https://unfitpc.com/wdf01000-sys for solving purpose.

Yes that is excellent solution.
It is best practice to enter all bank records and pass-codes
so the solving purpose can be can be effective always.
beatcleaver
Anjuchauhan12 wrote:
If you are facing the error regarding of wdf01000.sys file then you go this link https://unfitpc.com/wdf01000-sys for solving purpose.

A link from a 1 post user who joined today. I'm sure that's kosher zombie
Oldstench
Anjuchauhan12 wrote:

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1