MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Instruō - Cš-L complex oscillator [CS-L]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Instruō - Cš-L complex oscillator [CS-L]
mdoudoroff
Remarkable new complex oscillator design with sophisticated modulation bus features.

Site: http://www.instruo.media/t-l
MG: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/instruo-cs-l

Demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTFlhqF4PbA
danishchairs
Let me be the first to say, Wow! Fantastic! Congrats!
applause applause applause
BrokenBo
how does this already have 1,5/5 on modulargrid. this isn´t even out yet...looks like an awesome take on the complex oscillator thing.
porphyrion
Superbooth 2018 top three for sure! Sounds very precise and detailed, not a speck of mud anywhere. Impressive!!
pugix
Looks and sounds fantastic. But I want to see a manual, preferably including the internal routing.
ugokcen
That is one capable oscillator! (or two). Perhaps a bit crowded interface-wise - I wonder how it would look all patched up - but if it were bigger than we would complain about the HP, wouldn't we?

Every passing year I feel that we have all we need in Euro, and then somebody comes along and proves me wrong. Instruo is definitely one of those manufacturers.
Hovercraft
Jason at Instrūo is making some next level modules. I had a Sputnik complex osc—the closest design you can get to the Buchla 259–nice module, but the Cš-L is a leap forward. The modulation bus is something else. What osc has a greater range of timbres than the Cš-L? Nothing I’ve heard on the analog or digital side. So many outputs on this thing, and a ton of cv control.
gonkulator
ugokcen wrote:
..- but if it were bigger than we would complain about the HP, wouldn't we? ...

I, for one, would not.
suthnear
That is one amazing looking module and a fantastic demo. I was going to get hexinverter's mindphaser but now I am not so sure...
tomtomtron
wow we're not worthy
it's looking awesome and sounds like a beast! big up!
suthnear
ugokcen wrote:
Perhaps a bit crowded interface-wise - I wonder how it would look all patched up

That is a very good point. Otoh, Jason made a lot of sounds with very minimal external patching and I guess if you are going to patch it up heavily then it's probably going to be a case of set and forget.
XAXAU
Ive had the hots for a DPO for the longest time but this one is so much more!

A whole Instruo system in brass would be gorgeous! smile

Very crowded panel though! I don’t know why everything has to be so darn tiny, I don’t have a problem with space, it is power consumption that has to be kept on the small side for me!
nectarios
This one and Mindphaser are the VCO modules of 2018 so far, for me, by miles.

Good to see people adding new things to complex oscs and it about time saw core VCOs get thrown into complex osc designs...in many cases I prefer the saw core sound to the tri core, but not always, so this beast is the best of both worlds.
cptnal
So cool to hear a Scottish voice in a demo. Mr. Green

Build looks rock solid.

Oh, and it sounds nice too. thumbs up
bc3
I had the Ts-L on my list but think I might need to make some room in the case for the Cs-L. The range of tones and internal modulation is really impressive.
amop
bc3 wrote:
I had the Ts-L on my list but think I might need to make some room in the case for the Cs-L. The range of tones and internal modulation is really impressive.

Same. Was looking at Ts-L and then got a demo of Cs-L at SB18 and wow. Very cool -one of my favorite things there.
XAXAU
One thing I found annoying is the way the wavefolder works, it mutes the sound and the fader range is narrow. The muting is the reason I´m getting rid of my R*S Serge VCM.

Is it used to get rid of an external VCA or what, I don´t get it?
DruidTek
That double pulse PWM sounds absolutely massive! I really dig the sci-fi panel aesthetics too. It's very Luc Besson-esque.
hermbot
XAXAU wrote:
One thing I found annoying is the way the wavefolder works, it mutes the sound and the fader range is narrow. The muting is the reason I´m getting rid of my R*S Serge VCM.

Basically - the DPO is like that as well. Turning the fold control all the way down effectively mutes the audio.

In the case of the DPO, it enables you to use the Strike input. Same with the others, you can hit it with a really short, exponential envelope and get some neat percussive sounds.
XAXAU
hermbot wrote:
XAXAU wrote:

Basically - the DPO is like that as well. Turning the fold control all the way down effectively mutes the audio.

In the case of the DPO, it enables you to use the Strike input. Same with the others, you can hit it with a really short, exponential envelope and get some neat percussive sounds.

Ah ok, well it can be done anyway but of course uses an external VCA or filter.

Does it work like on the VCM where the folding effect starts even before the volume gets loud enough? I mean I want to hear the sine (or whatever) at full volume first before I start folding it?
Hovercraft
XAXAU wrote:
Does it work like on the VCM where the folding effect starts even before the volume gets loud enough? I mean I want to hear the sine (or whatever) at full volume first before I start folding it?

From the video, it looks like you can get a full (or close) volume sine wave before most (possibly any) wavefolding kicks in. I'm sure Jason would be happy to elaborate on the circuit if you ask him. The option of striking the wavefolder is a nice feature--it adds another useful and distinct output without requiring external modules. You're right though--there's a trade-off by combining the VCA and a wavefolder. I think it's worth it, especially with including two separate wavefolders on a sophisticated modulation bus.

There's also a trade-off when routing a sine wave into the symmetry offset control--it also sums the modulating sine wave with the carrier sine before the wavefolder. It's a creative decision. Not as flexible as a rack full of separate modules, but extending the timbral range of the Cš-L as a standalone oscillator.
Sanys
i've just watched the video and i must say im blown. Need to buy the module.
leftbracket
I don't need anything more in the complex oscillator paradigm at this moment and probably won't go all-in-one when I do, but I am nevertheless blown away by this design. I find myself more impressed with Instruo's design ethos with every module they release! we're not worthy
merlatte
I just received Cs-L #006 yesterday! I didn't have much time to spend with it, as I'm in finals week at college as an adult (stay in school, kids), but the build seems super solid and its just a beast. Sorry for the probably unhelpful vagueness as I'm still a novice, but it was a great and all too brief half hour of wiggling that lived up to the hype so far.

Also, I just have to say that Jason has been super pleasant and excellent about everything. He met the shorter end of his quoted lead-time, has been very timely with helpful and patient email responses not even considering the US/Scotland time difference, and really seems like a nice guy as well as an excellent designer. Highly recommend.
Hovercraft
merlatte wrote:
I just received Cs-L #006 yesterday! I didn't have much time to spend with it, as I'm in finals week at college as an adult (stay in school, kids), but the build seems super solid and its just a beast. Sorry for the probably unhelpful vagueness as I'm still a novice, but it was a great and all too brief half hour of wiggling that lived up to the hype so far.

Also, I just have to say that Jason has been super pleasant and excellent about everything. He met the shorter end of his quoted lead-time, has been very timely with helpful and patient email responses not even considering the US/Scotland time difference, and really seems like a nice guy as well as an excellent designer. Highly recommend.

Nice! My Cš-L will be delivered in the next day or two--along with the Tanh(3). Couldn't agree more about Jason--super nice and did builds exactly when he estimated--which was fast! Good luck with your finals--I'd have to lock my modular up or something--haha.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 1 of 8