MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Studio One 4
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Studio One 4
alexbarbed
Howdy, any S1 users... the new release came out today, v4, for £128. I was a bit miffed at the lack of new stuff, but now I'm getting my hands on it, turns out it's fantastic.
1) The 'pattern tracks' give you an inline step sequencer, which includes variable loop lengths for each note lane and ratcheting. This is going to be fun with Expert Sleepers. The symbols on the pattern sequencer make me think they've been playing with Metropolis...
2) On that subject, Expert Sleepers plugins now appear as both instruments and effects separately (it was weird before and didn't quite work.)
3) The chord track does something pretty remarkable - instant chord detection and chord following for both audio and MIDI, track-wide.
4) Sample One now has just enough features to make it useful, borrowing quite a lot from Renoise I think. It's pretty neat.
5) Impact drum machine is better. Not revolutionary, but little tweaks have made it suddenly interesting, and you can drag loops into it and automatically slice and map them.

In short, many of the things I usually go back to Renoise for are suddenly here in S1, and combined with the chord stuff it's produced something quite wonderful. No doubt Pro Tools recording engineer types will be disappointed, but anyone who straddles wiggling with songwriting will enjoy it.

Anyone else tried it? Thoughts? w00t
alexbarbed
Having played with it a bit more, it's a bit frustrating. The sampler isn't quite enough, and nor is the pattern sequencer. They're going in the right direction, but you quickly get cross... ah well.
Willowhaus
Hmm...yeah, was kind of interested after seeing the video yesterday but didn't get a dropeverythingandbuynao!! vibe from it. Interested in hearing more as you get into it.
talfred
I tried the demo yesterday. I tried importing a movie (AVI), and it actually played! Movie playback never worked before on 64 bit windows, but I'm not sure about other video formats and mac. Another good thing is you can now have a UI with lighter colours, I prefer that. Still no support for surround or other multichannel setups I think (at least they said noting about it in the new features list).
peripatitis
So just curious, what are the things Studio one does that are similar to renoise?
riot
Pretty excited too about the new release, but I don't think it deserves a new version number. Usually, when software increases its version number it warrants a big makeover, redesign or core improvement. Something like a new engine, a ui redesign or something major. I see a lot of companies just using this version numbering for marketing purposes rather for proper development versioning.

Yeah Studio One 4 is a good update, lots of tweaks and improvements. But I don't see anything major. It still focuses on console integration and recording-mixing-mastering workflow. I find its not tailored for modern electronic producers. Impact is one of the suckiest drum machines I've used and making your own custom sets is 10 times harder than in Live. I also find it's harder to do track editing or remixing in Studio One, the tools are there, but they are more confusing to use. Oh and after doing plenty of tutorials I'm still hugely confused about the myriad of sidebars and submenus of submenus this software has.

But personally I prefer it to Live. The UI is better designed, easier to use without having to do online schooling and more intuitive overall (but with some quirks). The effects don't require horizontal scrolling for 2 minutes and some of them just have better presets or sound better out of the box.
Shledge
armaniamn wrote:
Any torrent links?


Don't be an idiot.
gringostar
Just a heads up, they're having a Cyber Monday sale with everything (including upgrades) for 50% off.

Just upgraded mine from 2 Professional to 4 professional for
mritenburg
I fucking love Studio One. It's so quick and light-weight. Everything is in one window. You can drag and drop everything: instruments, sounds, effects, compositions, etc.

If you are into performing live with your laptop and need a DAW that can do live performance remixing, then yes Ableton is the top choice. Other than that, I find Studio One exceptionally well-suited to electronic music production of all kinds.
Chevron87
mritenburg wrote:
I fucking love Studio One. It's so quick and light-weight. Everything is in one window. You can drag and drop everything: instruments, sounds, effects, compositions, etc.

If you are into performing live with your laptop and need a DAW that can do live performance remixing, then yes Ableton is the top choice. Other than that, I find Studio One exceptionally well-suited to electronic music production of all kinds.


I should defo check this out fully one day. I'm using Abelton for writing and export to Pro Tools for mixing, it'd be great to have a DAW I can do both in...
gringostar
Version 4 is really good. The chord track is amazing if you have a hybrid hardware ITB setup and was the major update that I think a lot of people miss. I know that Cubase has something really similar but iirc it only works with MIDI where as Studio One works on both MIDI and recorded audio. The pattern sequencer is also really good for drums.

The only real criticism that I have of it is that the stock VST instruments aren't that great, which isn't really an issue with all the great ones out there that I would use anyway, but on the flip side all the effects are excellent.
mritenburg
gringostar wrote:

The only real criticism that I have of it is that the stock VST instruments aren't that great, which isn't really an issue with all the great ones out there that I would use anyway, but on the flip side all the effects are excellent.


It's surprising that you would feel that way. Those instruments are so easy to use and sound great. There's no menu diving on those instruments, everything is right there on the panel.

Impact note mappings are automatically mapped to the pattern generator. Just drag a bunch of blips and glitches onto the Impact pads and you have instant rhythm making.

Sample One's auto-slice mode is great. Drag a long modular sequence onto Sample One, let Sample One slice it up, then you can simply import the slices directly into Impact.

Mojito is an awesome little bass-line synth. It can do a convincing 303 among many other things. Run Mojito through Ampire using the Tube Screamer pedal - instant acid bass-lines.

Mai Tai is a great poly synth with an extensive modulation matrix AND it's 32' sine waves can be used for wall-shaking low frequencies.

Ok, I'll concede that Presence XT is nothing great. As a rompler it's ok, but Presonus should include the Presence XT editor with the professional edition of Studio One. Presence XT could be an amazing, customizable wavetable synth, it has the same extensive modulation matrix as Mai Tai, but without the editor, it's just pre-set rompler.
gringostar
mritenburg wrote:
gringostar wrote:

The only real criticism that I have of it is that the stock VST instruments aren't that great, which isn't really an issue with all the great ones out there that I would use anyway, but on the flip side all the effects are excellent.


It's surprising that you would feel that way. Those instruments are so easy to use and sound great. There's no menu diving on those instruments, everything is right there on the panel.

Impact note mappings are automatically mapped to the pattern generator. Just drag a bunch of blips and glitches onto the Impact pads and you have instant rhythm making.

Sample One's auto-slice mode is great. Drag a long modular sequence onto Sample One, let Sample One slice it up, then you can simply import the slices directly into Impact.

Mojito is an awesome little bass-line synth. It can do a convincing 303 among many other things. Run Mojito through Ampire using the Tube Screamer pedal - instant acid bass-lines.

Mai Tai is a great poly synth with an extensive modulation matrix AND it's 32' sine waves can be used for wall-shaking low frequencies.

Ok, I'll concede that Presence XT is nothing great. As a rompler it's ok, but Presonus should include the Presence XT editor with the professional edition of Studio One. Presence XT could be an amazing, customizable wavetable synth, it has the same extensive modulation matrix as Mai Tai, but without the editor, it's just pre-set rompler.


I'm coming around to the stock instruments, but my frame of reference were the ones that came with 2.0, which was Presence and Sample One.

Sample One seems to have been upgraded nicely and the Mojito isn't bad.

Still going to use Reaktor and Bazille over Mai Tai probably.

Presence XT... yeah.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group