MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

*VIDEOS* Modular Happenings at Andertons UK!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author *VIDEOS* Modular Happenings at Andertons UK!
bchampion96
Friends!

Through working at Andertons, I've been working to get our fantastic music shop up to speed on the world of modular that we all know and love. Soon our range of Eurorack will be expanding, including what's available on the shop floor to try, for beginners and veterans alike to get their hands on!

Alongside this, no doubt the keys channel will play host to a bit more modular love!

Come and say hi in store and let's nerd out together! smile

Ben
sduck
At about 18 seconds in it goes to that typical Andertons Chappers & the Captain type thing - yuck! At least that doesn't last long in this case. It goes to a nice little jam near the end, worth seeing!
bchampion96
sduck wrote:
At about 18 seconds in it goes to that typical Andertons Chappers & the Captain type thing - yuck! At least that doesn't last long in this case. It goes to a nice little jam near the end, worth seeing!

I really appreciate your feedback! Can you go a bit more in depth about the 'chappers and captain' thing? Of course I know the format you mean, and see how it can be a bit marmitey in terms of personalities of the hosts. Going forward, I hope to be making a lot more videos along with Jack. Jack is a great player and musician, and IMO a great host because of his energy. He gets huge flack from the community for not knowing the technical side of things, when he approaches new gear from a perspective of 'is this an inspiring instrument'. If he and I made videos with him approaching from a musician's angle and me from the synthesist/tech nerd side, I think we can cover a lot of ground.

Thoughts? How would you like to see the content on the Andertons Tech and Keys channels change?
sduck
bchampion96 wrote:
Can you go a bit more in depth about the 'chappers and captain' thing?

Well, the whole "Greetings! I'm Chappers, and this is The Captain, and I just got off a boat..." talk talk talk talk (for 3 minutes before any actual demo) kind of thing is fine maybe the first 5 times you watch those videos, but after that, one tends to skip to the next video instead of staying to watch whatever it is that they're selling, which is why you clicked on it in the first place. Give a really good preview of the good stuff right up front - if you do that, maybe we'll forgive a bit of talking.
BenA718
sduck wrote:
bchampion96 wrote:
Can you go a bit more in depth about the 'chappers and captain' thing?

Well, the whole "Greetings! I'm Chappers, and this is The Captain, and I just got off a boat..." talk talk talk talk (for 3 minutes before any actual demo) kind of thing is fine maybe the first 5 times you watch those videos, but after that, one tends to skip to the next video instead of staying to watch whatever it is that they're selling, which is why you clicked on it in the first place. Give a really good preview of the good stuff right up front - if you do that, maybe we'll forgive a bit of talking.

I agree. Pete Thorn is the preeminent demo guy out there precisely for this reason— his demos are music-focused, demo the product in question under scrutiny, and end up giving you major GAS. Very little talk, lots of captioning combined with killer chops and a deep knowledge of what he is demoing; the template for gear demos.

EDIT: Sorry if this came across as harsh. Obviously, this is just my opinion and I appreciate the hard work that goes into these demos. It’s just that I will take a Mike Herman or Pete Thorn demo any day over anything Chappers does, especially since it looks like so many content providers are falling over themselves in slavish obeisance to the Almighty Alogrithm which is giving rise to greater quantity/lower quality across the board in YouTube World.
bchampion96
BenA718 wrote:
Sorry if this came across as harsh.

Not at all, I really value your input! smile
a100user
As Antertons is my local music shop and supplier of some nice kit I play with this is good news indeed.
Dcramer
Maybe being way out here in the ‘provinces’ makes me naive, but I didn’t mind the patter. The format of having the excited host interviewing the expert is a kind of nice change from the solo yammering of a single, hand waving, fanboy.
Getting to the jam quite quickly was an added bonus.
Chin up lads! Guinness ftw!
cptnal
Nice one! Ben certainly acquits himself better than Ant and/or Dec at the top of the show, but the idea of jamming with the manufacturers is a nice touch. Looking forward to more. thumbs up
bchampion96
a100user wrote:
As Antertons is my local music shop and supplier of some nice kit I play with this is good news indeed.

I look forward to jamming with you! smile
bchampion96
Dcramer wrote:
Maybe being way out here in the ‘provinces’ makes me naive, but I didn’t mind the patter. The format of having the excited host interviewing the expert is a kind of nice change from the solo yammering of a single, hand waving, fanboy.
Getting to the jam quite quickly was an added bonus.
Chin up lads! Guinness ftw!

That's the exact reason I really like Jack as a host. He's always genuinely excited to get his hands on and jam with new gear smile
bchampion96
cptnal wrote:
Nice one! Ben certainly acquits himself better than Ant and/or Dec at the top of the show, but the idea of jamming with the manufacturers is a nice touch. Looking forward to more. thumbs up

Much obliged! smile Kanpai!
Final_Instrument
I love the videos with Jack, he’s like a talented little kid trying new gear, always fun to watch
ben_hex
Nice to see a larger retailer looking into modular and also looking to make content and work with people to make content.

I don't mind the "Chappers & Captain" patter. It's nice to see a couple of people discuss things and jam together.
buhl89
Sounds Cool smile
bchampion96
Final_Instrument wrote:
I love the videos with Jack, he’s like a talented little kid trying new gear, always fun to watch

He's certainly got the chops and he's the loveliest of people!
bchampion96
ben_hex wrote:
Nice to see a larger retailer looking into modular and also looking to make content and work with people to make content.

I don't mind the "Chappers & Captain" patter. It's nice to see a couple of people discuss things and jam together.

Being a part of the synth community, I really want to make sure we don't lose the close-knit feel! Content-wise, I'm hoping we can aim for a happy medium, somewhere in between the chappers/captain banter and the informative type content that you put out. I might be able to get full versions of any 'outtake jams' up on my 'Robert Rhoades Music' channel as well! smile
ben_hex
bchampion96 wrote:

Being a part of the synth community, I really want to make sure we don't lose the close-knit feel! Content-wise, I'm hoping we can aim for a happy medium, somewhere in between the chappers/captain banter and the informative type content that you put out. I might be able to get full versions of any 'outtake jams' up on my 'Robert Rhoades Music' channel as well! smile

I don't think you need to think about it too much. It's already it's own style placed somewhere on the wide range of video content. It's obviously great to have a pathway and style in mind when working but just keep at it I think.
bchampion96

More from that great day woth Roland! smile
mousegarden
sduck wrote:

I could understand if it was done ironically, but it's not, it's just really annoying. Don't do it Chappers, it's not doing you or your shop any favours. I have a bit of a reputation as a moaner, but I'm not the only one to have noticed as you can see.
It's the reason why I skip any Andertons videos on YouTube if I'm looking for equipment reviews, also, too much waffle before we get to "the meat and potatoes, but your not half as bad as "Sonic Talk" in this respect, so you gain a point there w00t
It's a shame about this presentation, as you've got a great shop there, with a wide range of stock at quite competitive prices, but I think you need a bit of a PR make-over.

(hides)
Robscorch
mousegarden wrote:

It's a shame about this presentation, as you've got a great shop there, with a wide range of stock at quite competitive prices, but I think you need a bit of a PR make-over.

(hides)

PR make over aside they still need to take some physics and science lessons. Seriously the tone wood bullshit totally makes me go warpath level 10 on sellers lying to folks. You watch the videos and clearly they are plucking and picking differently in an blatant attempt to make tonal difference. You can also notice they arent ever quite in the same spot in relation to the pick ups either. Moving the picking position effects the string hence it will effect the sound not the pick ups doing. NO one should be buying the snake oil but they do. THE best tonal differences I acquire are from changing mic and cab placements as well as the room recorded in. Then we have the guitarist technique which makes worlds of difference in the attacks and the picking angle, no to mention the pick material and thickness. We can see many tone wood videos where they are doing this very thing even unintentionally. We don't even need to get into the different cab choices etc., but as you imagine there are so so many more sensible things to change the tone then what wood holds the stings in place for the pick-up to act on ELECTROMAGNETICALLY. You know because wood acts on magnets so so much. meh
bchampion96
Robscorch wrote:

Stay tuned lads, we've got a video or three in the works featuring the Strymon Magneto (old news, I know) and Studio Electronics Tonestar Modules among other things. It'll be me and Jack in this one, and once it's up, I'd love to hear your feedback! smile
bchampion96
A quick peek! :3

mousegarden
bchampion96 wrote:
Robscorch wrote:

Stay tuned lads, we've got a video or three in the works featuring the Strymon Magneto (old news, I know) and Studio Electronics Tonestar Modules among other things. It'll be me and Jack in this one, and once it's up, I'd love to hear your feedback! smile

Look forward to it, but please, I've appointed myself as Andertons PR and image consultant...NO BASEBALL CAPS!

cool
bchampion96
mousegarden wrote:
bchampion96 wrote:
Robscorch wrote:

Look forward to it, but please, I've appointed myself as Andertons PR and image consultant...NO BASEBALL CAPS!

cool

Fear not, you won't see any on my head. Can't promise anything for Jack though razz
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2