MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LearnSoundDesign.com
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author LearnSoundDesign.com
modfreq
Hi all,

As a long time web developer / synthesizer enthusiast I've been pondering ways to meld my curiosities into a more potent concoction for quite a while.

I went down the path of exploring building a synthesizer with javascript (and discovered the lovely tone.js), and then an oscilloscope, and it got me really thinking about the possibilities for teaching synthesis on the web. It seems like it could really be a great platform for such a thing.

I'm pretty new to the world of modular, but I figure this could also be a fun way for me to work through 'problems' I encounter on my journey. A blog of sorts... With the technology available today you could easily build some of the things you're talking about right into the web browser for your readers to play with without the need for any additional tools. It has a lot of potential. (examples at end of post, but read the bold text)

No joke the day I originally had this idea I checked the domain LearnSoundDesign.com and it turns out the owner had let it expire that week. (I'm not kidding, this trips me out. woah hmmm.....) So I put a bid in to swoop it from the registrars after it's dropped and I'm now the proud new owner.

Anyways I just wanted to put this out there and maybe see if anyone had any thoughts / ideas / hate to share?

I've put up a little test of my experiments with a scoped oscillator you can change the frequency of in the browser. If you wanted to get more of a visual of what I mean. They're not much but I think it's enough to get the ideas flowing. Wouldn't this make a great platform for learning synths?

PLEASE DONT CLICK THIS LINK UNLESS YOUR SPEAKERS ARE MUTED (and then maybe turn it up?) - I don't know how the tone.js browser generated tones will be on other peoples systems.

http://learnsounddesign.com

ps. Sorry if this is the wrong forum and this post isn't very coherent.
thetwlo
so, "YOU" want to learn "sound design" so you bought the URL? just a sawbuck, I hope. Some creativity would've been good there, no?
ok, generic url, congrats.

There are... books, that will help you a million times more.
Dcramer
My iPad doesn’t get any sound from the page, and it has some graphics issues that obscure some of the text but I could change freq and see the oscilloscope thumbs up
modfreq
thetwlo wrote:
so, "YOU" want to learn "sound design" so you bought the URL? just a sawbuck, I hope. Some creativity would've been good there, no?
ok, generic url, congrats.

There are... books, that will help you a million times more.

Well I'm not sure I understand your apparent contempt lol. I've been a playing with synths for like 10 years myself, and will never consider the learning to have ever stopped. It's a pretty widely accepted concept that teaching is a great way to further your own learning, isn't it?

and you truly believe that reading a book would be a better way for me to learn synthesis than documenting my own actual experiments with my modular? If so perhaps you are the one who needs to be more creative.

Sure the domain is generic... but I'll give you a 'sawbuck' (did I use that right?) to guess the best way to generate traffic on the web. I did pick it up for reg fee though, because someone else let it expire. Thanks for your concern. hmmm.....
modfreq
Dcramer wrote:
My iPad doesn’t get any sound from the page, and it has some graphics issues that obscure some of the text but I could change freq and see the oscilloscope thumbs up

Thanks for the test results Dcramer! we're not worthy
orangehexagon
If you're going to call yourself a web developer -- before learning synthesis -- you should learn how to fix the issue with tone.js blasting us with a loud sine wave when we click your link.

I know I sound like a jerk, but someone who has been doing web programming my whole life, it kinda irks me when someone claims to be a web developer but can't fix a simple issue like the one above.

Hooking up libraries and frameworks does not make one a web developer.
BugBrand
Ideas -
- default/page-load does not start the oscillator - provide a GO switch
- code a volume control in with it
- oscilloscope TRIGGERing so that the waveform is stationary
- edits - "Careful sounds may be loud / obnoxious. " - you probably don't mean "careful sounds"!
orangehexagon
Well I'll just tell you how to fix it because I doubt you'll take the time to learn -- if you didn't already then I suppose it will take you forever to figure it out because it's so simple...

when you declare the osc variable -- you are also starting the tone on page load immediately instead of using an even handler -- as seen below:

Quote:
var osc = new Tone.Oscillator(440, "sine").toMaster().start();
modfreq
orangehexagon wrote:
I know I sound like a jerk, but someone who has been doing web programming my whole life, it kinda irks me when someone claims to be a web developer but can't fix a simple issue like the one above.

I'm glad to hear you came out of the womb writing code. We weren't all so lucky. zombie

But you should email one of the largest software companies in the world (my employer) about my lack of qualifications. I'm sure they'd love to hear it. w00t

With all of that said, I may have deployed an old branch accidentally. The play/pause button should have worked. Sorry I'm a fallible human and you're clearly not.

I probably shouldn't have shared a super quick prototype, but I didn't expect everyone to come riding in on their massive high horses. My mistake I suppose.
modfreq
orangehexagon wrote:

This is a pretty good indicator you don't know wtf you're talking about too... because hooking up patch cables does not make one a synthesist... you gotta invent the synthesizer first, am I right?

You probably think "real developers" never use stackoverflow either. haha. Get over yourself.

I know I sound like a jerk, but as someone who has been doing web programming professionally my entire adult life, it kinda irks me when someone claims to be a web developer but thinks you're not a real developer unless you wrote the libraries you use. (Hell, why even stop there?)

You seem like you're being held back by having a shitty attitude. Well I'll just tell you how to fix it because I doubt you'll take the time to learn -- if you didn't already then I suppose it will take you forever to figure it out because it's so simple... stop that.
orangehexagon
modfreq wrote:
orangehexagon wrote:

This is a pretty good indicator you don't know wtf you're talking about too... because hooking up patch cables does not make one a synthesist... you gotta invent the synthesizer first, am I right?

That's not a 1 to 1 analogy
orangehexagon
modfreq wrote:
orangehexagon wrote:

You probably think "real developers" never use stackoverflow either. haha. Get over yourself.

I know I sound like a jerk, but as someone who has been doing web programming professionally my entire adult life, it kinda irks me when someone claims to be a web developer but thinks you're not a real developer unless you wrote the libraries you use. (Hell, why even stop there?)

You seem like you're being held back by having a shitty attitude. Well I'll just tell you how to fix it because I doubt you'll take the time to learn -- if you didn't already then I suppose it will take you forever to figure it out because it's so simple... stop that.

Real developers use stack overflow all the time... don't put words into my mouth.

anyone can hook up a bunch of libraries these days without much understanding of how they work. someone who installs wordpress and then a bunch of plugins isn't a web developer -- that's the sort of situation i was getting at.

what you did was clearly copy and paste code with no understanding of what the code you copy and pasted does -- which is not what a good web developer does
modfreq
Sorry my prototype wasn't unit tested?

*shrug*
orangehexagon
modfreq wrote:
orangehexagon wrote:

I didn't say anything about needing to write the libraries to use them -- but having a baseline understanding of how code works and how libraries work IS required to be considered a web developer.
modfreq
Well again, you're going to have to take that one up with my employer. You can determine what job title I'm worthy of when you're the one paying my salary.
modfreq
Do you even GDPR bro? .... Some web developer you are.

Dead Banana

(apologies, now I'm just having fun with your hilarious accusations)

Even the best developers in the world write bad code sometimes. Especially when working on rapid prototypes. Not recognizing that is absolutely a sign of inexperience. You seem to be operating under some crazy assumption that a good developer (or excuse me even worse, anyone that should even be allowed to call themselves a developer) would never make a mistake, which does not seem like the way an experienced developer would think... to me at least.
modfreq
Also people seem to be confusing me saying "I'm pretty new to modular" with me saying "I'm pretty new to synthesis" very frustrating
Muzone
wow, way to go bro - pimp a half-cocked webpage then dis everyone who gives their opinion, I'm sure you'll go far..........
modfreq
Muzone wrote:
wow, way to go bro - pimp a half-cocked webpage then dis everyone who gives their opinion, I'm sure you'll go far..........

Fair enough.
modfreq
While in hindsight I do see how my original post can be perceived as "pimp[ing] a half-cocked webpage", it wasn't my intention. I'm not trying to grease people up so I can sell them something, or anything. I was just trying to discuss an idea I had with people who might... 'get it'.

People giving their opinions about my ideas are great (that's what I asked for), I truly appreciate it.

But if "going far" means being thankful for unfounded attacks on my character, or ridiculous claims of copy and pasting as a developer being some kind of unforgivable sin, then forget I ever posted this. I'll just build it without all of the brilliant insight.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1