MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Instruō Tanh(3)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Instruō Tanh(3)
Hovercraft
Tanh(3) looks interesting, and useful--a waveshaping circuit. This looks useful for controlling feedback loops, limiting/soft clipping, and general waveshaping mayhem.

http://www.instruo.media/tanh3

"tanh[3] is a three channel, all analogue, wave shaper. It takes an input signal and outputs the hyperbolic tangent function [tanh (x)] for that signal.

…In more useful terms, it adds curves to a signal!

Traditionally the circuit is used to shape a triangle wave to a sine but when used with more complex signals it behaves as a single knob limiter."

Crimesofthecrown
Ooooooooooo. I like this.
windspirit
Yeah just saw this in the most recent divkid video, seems like a really useful utility.
mgscheue
Interesting. I just tried plotting what it would do to a triangle wave. Something like this, it appears.
windspirit
I am not familiar with that way of computing a triangle wave, but around 0 for half a period you should see the triangle wave basically act like a linear input which would mean that you should see something more like the graph on the panel of tanh(3).

AFAIK the normal equation for a triangle wave is sin(x) + 1/3 sin (3x) + 1/5 sin (5x). Correct me if I am wrong.

Here is a graph of tanh for reference

mgscheue
Admittedly, I haven't seen this stuff in a while, but I think what you have there is the first three terms of the Fourier series for a square wave:

They're similar in that they both have just the odd harmonics.

You can of course represent a triangle wave as a Fourier series, too, but what I have as the argument to tanh should be the analytic form.
Hovercraft
My understanding is the circuit can fully shape a triangle wave into a reasonably pure sine wave. Maybe there’s more to the circuit, but Jason specifically refers to MAX/MSP and Pd users. Seems like it would be a basic function. From the description on the web site—

Wave shaping:

Running a triangle wave through a tanh will allow for some interesting wave shaping control.

Fully CCW and the resulting signal will be a slightly attenuated pass through of the original triangle wave. As the level is increased, the corners will soften and the wave form will shape into a sine wave.

As level is increased, the sine will soft clip and eventually settle into a unique peaked waveform.
mgscheue
Yeah, that's what actually made me curious about seeing what happens if you feed a triangle wave to the tanh function. It definitely rounds it some, but it's still pretty pointy on the top and bottom. It would be interesting to try it, with a scope, with the actual module. Sounds like the control makes it "stronger" than just a straight-up tanh would. I remember looking at the sine output of my STO, which is a triangle-core oscillator, on my scope, and while it was quite close to a sine wave, it was just a little pointier than that.
windspirit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_wave

Looks like it is actually an infinite series of the odd harmonics but with decreasing amplitude (inverse of the harmonic number).

You might try amplifying the triangle wave (multiply it by 10 for example) before going into the tanh function.
tapel
I’m a long time user of tanh~ in Max and Pd for controlling and manipulating feedback. I bought a tanh[3] and am having a good time using it in feedback loops with the DLD (with the Send-Return-Pre-Loop alternative firmware). I am finding that I also am using it for boosting signal levels in general, like for the filtered outputs from the Benjolin. Just like in Max, for me it’s a convenient way of controlling signals that might get out of control.
AndreasD
In the software world tanh is used to simulate/create saturation and distortion. It's also a limiter, but with heavy distortion (clipping) when limiting.
Tanh creates odd harmonics only, no even harmonics.
Brennanib
Ordered on of these from Jason recently can't wait for this honestly I've been needing something like this for some time now and yet they're are others this one does just what I need and more in a 4hp package!!
starthief
tapel wrote:
I’m a long time user of tanh~ in Max and Pd for controlling and manipulating feedback. I bought a tanh[3] and am having a good time using it in feedback loops with the DLD (with the Send-Return-Pre-Loop alternative firmware). I am finding that I also am using it for boosting signal levels in general, like for the filtered outputs from the Benjolin. Just like in Max, for me it’s a convenient way of controlling signals that might get out of control.

I'm interested in it specifically for taming feedback, but it seems kind of limited (ha) in control possibilities compared to using an envelope follower and VCA or a dedicated compressor.

In practice, do you ever find yourself wishing for more control of it, or is it just a matter of pushing the levels a little more or less and it takes care of itself?
peripatitis
Very useful module, it just needs a better delay line to shine..
bgribble
Quote:
In the software world tanh is used to simulate/create saturation and distortion.

Funny, right? tanh distortion is used in software as a quick and dirty mathematical approximation to "euphonic" hardware limiting/distortion, and now we have a hardware implementation of the algorithm that was a knockoff of the behavior of tubes-and-transformers hardware....

bg[/quote]
ookrsia
Wow gotta check this. I love using feedback but it can sometimes be tricky.

With this price and HP it seems a no-brainer.
timoka
such a useful module, one of the best purchases i made since a long time!
nothing musical here, just to demonstrate the saturation, clipping on a sine wave and the feedback control in a delay:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/uzala/tanh3-sinewave[/s]

[s]http://soundcloud.com/uzala/tanh3-feedback[/s]
Hovercraft
Nice examples. I'm enjoying my tanh(3)--such a cool module. It's also great for waveshaping--I like multing an osc and running one line into tanh(3) and layering it with the original sound.
djd_oz
windspirit wrote:
Yeah just saw this in the most recent divkid video, seems like a really useful utility.

where is this video you speak of, can't seem to find it
Swain Voorman
Might be here:
https://youtu.be/XB5c3D-rWtY?t=31m47s

Interested to see DivKid's video on it in the future. I'm very interested in the potential for this one with my setup being based around acoustic sound input and delay lines. Thanks everyone for the demos thus far.
ben_hex
Swain Voorman thanks for sharing the live stream I did with Jason, was fun to get into that module as I think it's a very useful little thing in 4hp.

No plans for doing the demo particularly soon, need to get through some other things first and Harmonaig is next in line for Instruo videos from me.
brandonlogic
mgscheue wrote:
It would be interesting to try it, with a scope, with the actual module.

i would love to see some oscilloscope shots with the actual module too.
could anyone with the module show us what it looks like processing a sine, triangle and saw? thanks in advanced!!
timoka
here are some pictures to show what it does to waves:

sinewave:

trianglewave:

sawwave:

and here the audiofile:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/uzala/tanh3-waveforms[/s]
brandonlogic
Awesome thank you so much timoka, really appreciate it! I think im going to pick one up. would be really nice with the DLD's feedback loop too, because its really easy to get out of control.
mgscheue
Yes, thank you! Very interesting.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2