Extra Panel Space. What to add? Blacet Binary Zone

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Kent
Large Member

Extra Panel Space. What to add? Blacet Binary Zone

Post by Kent » Sat May 26, 2018 3:58 pm

My most sincere Wiggler,

The lovely Epinasty, Inc. is building up a custom Image

Binary Zone (BZ) module from Blacet into a Buchla format module. We’ve got some extra panel space available and I’m at a loss as to what to do with the extra space. Think of the BZ as a weirdo sequencer. It is the one thing that I still (after 6 years!) miss from my Blacet rig.

We’ve brainstormed a bit and the only thing that seems practical and easy is something like a format jumbler/mult.
The 200e power supply provides: +/- 15VDC, +5VDC and +12VDC (for the lamps, really).

The constraints are PCB depth/size and power requirements. I had thought that some Intellijel or PulpLogic 1u Tiles/Modules would be cool but the ones that seem to best complement the BZ & Buchla (and don’t simply duplicate the existing functionality in my 200e system) require -12VDC.

Have you any thoughts or prior experience, good people? What small utility would you recommend based upon your experiences?

I was thinking of this, but then again, the -12V hassle. Oh, and I have most of this functionality in other places.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Sat May 26, 2018 4:41 pm

A 7912 will give you -12V from the -15V rail.
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

meatcliff
Ultra Wiggler

Post by meatcliff » Sat May 26, 2018 4:51 pm

I'd add some logic modules so you can get clever with the clocking/clock outs, and maybe a quantizer so you could run the output thru that?

A quantizer expecting 1v/oct could be modified by reducing the input (gain of 0.833333 to get 1.2v down to 1v) and then the reverse to bring the output back up.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Mon May 28, 2018 4:04 pm

papz wrote:A 7912 will give you -12V from the -15V rail.
Ah, of course! :doh: Merci bien.
meatcliff wrote:I'd add some logic modules so you can get clever with the clocking/clock outs, and maybe a quantizer so you could run the output thru that?

A quantizer expecting 1v/oct could be modified by reducing the input (gain of 0.833333 to get 1.2v down to 1v) and then the reverse to bring the output back up.
The logic modules are a good idea. I am planning to use a channel of a 251e as a quantizer.

Thanks for the suggestions. :hail:

jkjelec
Ektachrome plane...I see the flies

Post by jkjelec » Tue May 29, 2018 10:21 pm

We think much alike, Kent (and also "Kent" is my middle name :hihi: ) as I really miss having a Binary Zone; what a fun module for live tweaking. In an incredible stroke of luck I found a Modcan A panel and BZ module that I will convert this summer. LEt us know where you end up with it!

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Wed May 30, 2018 12:40 am

We “Kents” gots ta hang tough together!

I heard back from Pulp Logic. Their tiles run perfectly well at +/-15V. Gonna look into those.

Synesthesia
Northern Light Modular

Post by Synesthesia » Wed May 30, 2018 2:43 am

are you guys re-doing the pcb Kent - or you are going freestyle / flying wires?

as to modules to add - maybe something like the Fonitronik Sequencial Switch ... or you could nearly fit our Trommel Maschine or something like that ;) - but yes, an equivalent to that Intelijel thing could be fun too.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Wed May 30, 2018 3:51 am

Just going the flying wire route, sir.

A sequential switch seems like a good idea. I'll look into that.

The Trommel Maschine will be in my system as an H-series when they start shipping.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:22 am

For the record: Luigi @ Epinasty has disappeared. He won't respond on social media channels or email.

He has kept the module and several hundred Dollars of my money. If anyone can get in contact with him about this, I'd appreciate it.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”