MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Extra Panel Space. What to add? Blacet Binary Zone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Extra Panel Space. What to add? Blacet Binary Zone
Kent
My most sincere Wiggler,

The lovely Epinasty, Inc. is building up a custom

Binary Zone (BZ) module from Blacet into a Buchla format module. We’ve got some extra panel space available and I’m at a loss as to what to do with the extra space. Think of the BZ as a weirdo sequencer. It is the one thing that I still (after 6 years!) miss from my Blacet rig.

We’ve brainstormed a bit and the only thing that seems practical and easy is something like a format jumbler/mult.
The 200e power supply provides: +/- 15VDC, +5VDC and +12VDC (for the lamps, really).

The constraints are PCB depth/size and power requirements. I had thought that some Intellijel or PulpLogic 1u Tiles/Modules would be cool but the ones that seem to best complement the BZ & Buchla (and don’t simply duplicate the existing functionality in my 200e system) require -12VDC.

Have you any thoughts or prior experience, good people? What small utility would you recommend based upon your experiences?

I was thinking of this, but then again, the -12V hassle. Oh, and I have most of this functionality in other places.

papz
A 7912 will give you -12V from the -15V rail.
meatcliff
I'd add some logic modules so you can get clever with the clocking/clock outs, and maybe a quantizer so you could run the output thru that?

A quantizer expecting 1v/oct could be modified by reducing the input (gain of 0.833333 to get 1.2v down to 1v) and then the reverse to bring the output back up.
Kent
papz wrote:
A 7912 will give you -12V from the -15V rail.

Ah, of course! d'oh! Merci bien.

meatcliff wrote:
I'd add some logic modules so you can get clever with the clocking/clock outs, and maybe a quantizer so you could run the output thru that?

A quantizer expecting 1v/oct could be modified by reducing the input (gain of 0.833333 to get 1.2v down to 1v) and then the reverse to bring the output back up.

The logic modules are a good idea. I am planning to use a channel of a 251e as a quantizer.

Thanks for the suggestions. we're not worthy
jkjelec
We think much alike, Kent (and also "Kent" is my middle name hihi ) as I really miss having a Binary Zone; what a fun module for live tweaking. In an incredible stroke of luck I found a Modcan A panel and BZ module that I will convert this summer. LEt us know where you end up with it!
Kent
We “Kents” gots ta hang tough together!

I heard back from Pulp Logic. Their tiles run perfectly well at +/-15V. Gonna look into those.
Synesthesia
are you guys re-doing the pcb Kent - or you are going freestyle / flying wires?

as to modules to add - maybe something like the Fonitronik Sequencial Switch ... or you could nearly fit our Trommel Maschine or something like that wink - but yes, an equivalent to that Intelijel thing could be fun too.
Kent
Just going the flying wire route, sir.

A sequential switch seems like a good idea. I'll look into that.

The Trommel Maschine will be in my system as an H-series when they start shipping.
Kent
For the record: Luigi @ Epinasty has disappeared. He won't respond on social media channels or email.

He has kept the module and several hundred Dollars of my money. If anyone can get in contact with him about this, I'd appreciate it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1