Random*Source Serge Sequencer 8 XL

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Godphaser
Common Wiggler

Random*Source Serge Sequencer 8 XL

Post by Godphaser » Sat May 26, 2018 10:18 pm

The SEQ XL is a modern incarnation of Serge's analog sequencer / programmer. 8 stages. 2 rows of CV output.
http://randomsource.net/serge_euro

Looks amazing! :hyper:

letitbleep
Common Wiggler

Post by letitbleep » Sat May 26, 2018 10:40 pm

damn that looks great. seriously thinking about an all r*s serge system.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Sun May 27, 2018 2:24 am

letitbleep wrote:damn that looks great. seriously thinking about an all r*s serge system.
Might as well go bananas! I’d like a bananafied euroSerge and euroBuchla 100 living together in perfect harmony.

re: new sequencer I like having the option of an all-analog sequencer, and this one seems to be particularly well-engineered.

stickmann
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stickmann » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:02 pm

Received this in the mail today. :love:

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:59 pm

how is this any different to a verbos multistage, which is smaller and has some additional features it seems.

aesthetics are awesome though 8-)

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:45 am

Oooh, that’s the version with the fancy push buttons isn’t it?
Drool worthy! :sb:

stickmann
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stickmann » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:56 am

Differences from the Multistage: Mini-Keyboard, individual stage select inputs, A-B CV output, knobs instead of sliders. Those are probably the notable ones. I'm not sure how the Multistage handles external audio rates but the Seq8 runs at external oscillator speeds and creates some unique timbres.

It is the 'fancy-mod' with the 4U style buttons. They feel great.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:02 am

Plus I remember the issues people had with the VMS.
I wouldn’t touch a Verbos module with a 10 foot pole. Got burned once, hard lesson learned.

nickgrys
Common Wiggler

Post by nickgrys » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:15 am

This looks really cool. I like the A-B cv output. I'd like to have one of these
along with my Verbos VMS.

Re: Verbos Voltage Multistage - it has a time input which is very cool to modulate with cv b. It also has stage on/off/slide switches.

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:48 am

vms also has slide...which makes it very good for lfo/ envelopes etc.

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:49 am

how does the a-b cv output work? does it add both voltages or can you switch between a -b?

maaaks
Common Wiggler

Post by maaaks » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:01 am

BrokenBo wrote:how does the a-b cv output work? does it add both voltages or can you switch between a -b?
I believe it is literally Voltage A minus Voltage B

stickmann
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stickmann » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:05 am

The A - B output is a difference with a +5 to -5 range. So if A = 2v and B = 3v you would get -1v at the A - B output.

One thing to be aware of is the Serge voltage levels. The ranges are +/- 5v so there can be some incompatibility with other Euro manufacturers. Opening filters or VCAs fully can be problematic, in particular. Triggering might also be of concern but I think most modules will easily recognize the 5v signal.

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:24 am

stickmann wrote:The A - B output is a difference with a +5 to -5 range. So if A = 2v and B = 3v you would get -1v at the A - B output.

One thing to be aware of is the Serge voltage levels. The ranges are +/- 5v so there can be some incompatibility with other Euro manufacturers. Opening filters or VCAs fully can be problematic, in particular. Triggering might also be of concern but I think most modules will easily recognize the 5v signal.
that is an interesting feature. thx for info 8-) . would be nice to see some demos of this as i am always interested in sequencer modules.

ookrsia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ookrsia » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:46 am

Since Random Source modules have no manuals and very little description I have just one question:

What especially makes this sequencer module stand out from other similar modules?

Thanks

(There's at least a couple Random Source Serge module i'd like to ask the same question about.(And I might own one of them!))

letitbleep
Common Wiggler

Post by letitbleep » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:39 pm

ookrsia wrote:Since Random Source modules have no manuals and very little description I have just one question:

What especially makes this sequencer module stand out from other similar modules?

Thanks

(There's at least a couple Random Source Serge module i'd like to ask the same question about.(And I might own one of them!))
i mean obviously a huge part of the appeal of r*s is capturing the style/feel/ergonomics of serge. and the sound of course.

you're not going to get maximal features/hp ratio

if you're not particularly interested in the serge way of patching then there may not be anything here that "stands out"

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Post by Ceres » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:14 pm

ookrsia wrote:Since Random Source modules have no manuals and very little description I have just one question:

Thanks

http://www.serge-fans.com/wizardry.htm
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:23 pm

I like the way this looks and might get one later, but I have a Voltage Block planned for my all R*S serge system.

The R*S modules are excellent, but I don't like sequencers that can't be addressed. :despair:

(And for the record my Verbos VMS works perfectly, but it's a V8.x so maybe it doesn't suffer the issues the early ones did)

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:55 pm

it's got individual step gate address ins, so did you miss that or are you looking for cv address for a knobby quantizer?

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:09 pm

moremagic wrote:it's got individual step gate address ins, so did you miss that or are you looking for cv address for a knobby quantizer?
Yeah, I like being able to use a sequencer as a quantizer in that way, and even as a normal pitch/cv sequencer, I like the flexibility -- it just seems to make more things in the serge system into sequencers (SSG/DUSG).

... Plus it allows me the space to add some extra mixers and a noise source :)

jvt
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jvt » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:21 pm

stickmann wrote: It is the 'fancy-mod' with the 4U style buttons. They feel great.
What's the difference between the "standard" and the "4U" style buttons. The Random*Source site doesn't provide any information on either option.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:26 pm

I´m learning to use my RS DUSG and SSG and already feel i want to get that sequencer. Selling modules to be able to get it.

I´d like to get as much info and video demos etc to understand the module ,

any source of information or videos available on the web?

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:43 pm

luketeaford wrote:
moremagic wrote:it's got individual step gate address ins, so did you miss that or are you looking for cv address for a knobby quantizer?
Yeah, I like being able to use a sequencer as a quantizer in that way, and even as a normal pitch/cv sequencer, I like the flexibility -- it just seems to make more things in the serge system into sequencers (SSG/DUSG).

... Plus it allows me the space to add some extra mixers and a noise source :)
yeah cv address is one of the many reasons i want to track down a white rene some day, and you can never have too many mixers :miley:

stickmann
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stickmann » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:26 am

jvt wrote: What's the difference between the "standard" and the "4U" style buttons. The Random*Source site doesn't provide any information on either option.
I’m not certain on if the buttons themselves are different but the 4U style has the bezel around the button that increases the height of the button. I find that to be useful. It looks like the non-fancy buttons are the same as the Make Noise buttons.

I’m hoping to start posting some videos of my R*S euroSerge soon. I agree that there are a lack of videos available.

ookrsia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ookrsia » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:47 am

stickmann wrote:I’m hoping to start posting some videos of my R*S euroSerge soon. I agree that there are a lack of videos available.
Please do! One recent R*S module I've not heard a peep about anywhere is the Serge Ring Mod. There's only some nice sounding demos on Souncloud – Yes, the ones where reverb is always set at 200%

Return to “Eurorack Modules”