MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mixers effects aux sends etc
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Mixers effects aux sends etc
sleestack808
So, If I want to use an effect on an instrument without using up an aux send do I just patch it up like a guitar pedal? What If I want just a little of the effect ?..
How can you expand your options for aux sends on a mixer? Maybe add a modular mixer to an aux send? Just thinking out loud.
Thanks
Kent
You just need to split the signal somehow. You are basically making a duplicate. Thus, you could go with a passive splitting cable or box. A transformer splitter. A buss output (as opposed to an aux send), etc.
beku
I always use the Doepfer Matrix Mixer A-138m for effect send duty.
sleestack808
Kent wrote:
You just need to split the signal somehow. You are basically making a duplicate. Thus, you could go with a passive splitting cable or box. A transformer splitter. A buss output (as opposed to an aux send), etc.

So you would eat up two mixer channel this way?
/\/\/\/\/\/
If the effect has a dry/wet mix you can set that to have just a little of the effect, if that's what you wanted.
sleestack808
all good advice
thanx
ZLAL
All depends on the mixer and effect in question. Dry / wet knob? Dedicated effects Returns?

All sound generating devices in my studio are routed through a patch bay that can switch between normal and half-normal. If I need to split a signal I can switch the jack to half normal and proceed with the dry signal and then process the outgoing signal however I like.
scozbor
Not trying to derail the topic but...

I've got a few stereo pedals hooked up to a patchbay - stereo ins and outs.
My mixer is mono send / stereo return.

You can probably see where this is going...

So when I plug my send into one of the stereo inputs on the patchbay, the pedal still thinks it's receiving a stereo signal because it is connected in stereo to the patchbay. And it only effects one side.

As far as I can tell my options are to physically disconnect one input on the pedal so it's operating in mono>stereo (annoying).

Or, what I have been doing is using a euro mult to send the mono send into both inputs of the pedal.

Anything I am missing here? I assume this is a common scenario...
widdly
Use two sends, one for left and one for right.

or

Use one slot on your patchbay set as half normalled for the inputs to the pedal. Plug into the top patchbay for mono, plug in the to the top and bottom for stereo.

It breaks the outputs top, inputs bottom rule but it is very useful. I wire my compressor input and sidechain input the same way too.

A and B go to the pedal L/R inputs. Ignore the bottom two diagrams.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1