MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
Gringo Starr
This is one of my favorite Miles Davis albums. I wish he had done more albums like this. I love the vibe and the mood it sets. Are there any other albums from any artists that you would suggest to listen to that have this kind of a feel? I’m somewhat but not extremely knowledgeable in jazz and I know there’s great stuff out there that I’m missing.
Michael O.
If you haven’t yet, check out the rest of the early electric period Miles produced by Teo Macero. In a Silent Way is the first and probably the most mellow and overtly-beautiful from that period, but the rest is nearly always as interesting and often as finely-crafted.

In addition to the focus on different textures and instrumentation the tunes have alternative song structures due in large part to Teo Macero’s decidedly hands-on cut and paste editing techniques. I’d check out Can’s Flow Motion as well. It’s not jazz to most, but I’d argue it’s fusion, and they’re definitely channeling the Silent Way era Miles vibe and general approach, just more rhythmically obvious and with a heavier helping of rock.

Finally, check out the albums of some of the Silent Way band member from about the same time. They were all heavily influenced by their time with Miles, and they heavily influenced him- a whole lot of creative cross pollination going on.
GuyaGuy
Yeah, the first Weather Report LP is very much in the same vein. ZAWINUL by Joe Zawinul too. Hancock's MWANDISHI. Wayne Shorter's SUPER NOVA. Side 1 of John McLaughlin's MY GOAL'S BEYOND.

Also maybe SOLSTICE by Ralph Towner. Squarepusher's MUSIC IS ROTTED ONE NOTE. TNT by Tortoise. DYSNOMIA by Dawn of MIDI.
Scories
Check out Get Up With It (1974):
https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Get-Up-With-It/master/62373
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duwZMQyeY8s
ignatius
mandatory to check the Bill Laswell recreations of that era. im it's some of the best sound miles davis stuff.

if you aren't familiar w/the release... laswell got the tapes from columbia and permission to reassemble the release. according to him it's truer to what actually happened in the studio. it's not a 1 to 1 recreation of in a silent way though.. it's sessions from that era. he basically used the same process but instead of taking a razor to the tapes he put them all in pro tools made the edits there. these aren't "remixes" in a modern electronic music sense.. they're simply studio mixes on modern gear. it's a great sounding release. mixed on a Neve console

it's called "Panthallassa: the music of miles davis".

if like the more somber sounding dreamy deep miles davis stuff then go out and get "Big Fun". it's pretty awesome. super deep. bathed in heroin i think. there's a lot of weird stuff here or there in some of the mixes. weird panning of mono drum tracks and stuff like that.. but it's some of the deepest melancholy in my music library.

"kind of blue" touches on some in a silent vibes but isn't quite as deep.
knows
Check out the Santana and Alice Coltrane collaborative albums. Or even some of the Santana albums.
I think Bill Laswell even did a remix of Alice and Santana if memory serves.

https://youtu.be/W3Z8Kicu7CA
https://youtu.be/InlDs3C5Twk
VinceL
ignatius wrote:

it's called "Panthallassa: the music of miles davis".

+1 on Panthalassa thumbs up
GuyaGuy
Stan Douglas did a pretty cool video installation called Luanda-Kinshasa based on early 70s Miles, setting up a fictitious but very realistic recording session.

indexofmetals
I second the recommendations from scories and ignatius. that Laswell resorting is an amazing record and often gets played inbetween the last two Talk Talk albums on long car-rides.

I'd also recommend Alice Coltrane "Journey in Satchidananda", Pharoah Sanders "Thembi" & Herbie Hancock "Sextant".
Gringo Starr
Great!!! Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Gonna go to the record store on Sunday and grab a few of these. thumbs up
VinceL
Gringo Starr wrote:
Great!!! Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Gonna go to the record store on Sunday and grab a few of these. thumbs up

record store? What's a record store? hmmm..... lol

I haven't seen one of them in many, many years. Dead Banana
GuyaGuy
Oh and don't overlook The Complete In a Silent Way Sessions! Many tracks made it to LPs and compilations but there are new tracks and alt takes from In A Silent Way.
Gringo Starr
VinceL wrote:
Gringo Starr wrote:

Ha! Luckily in LA we still have Amoeba Records. The last of the Mohicans.
MarcelP
Gringo Starr wrote:
VinceL wrote:
Gringo Starr wrote:

Ha! Luckily in LA we still have Amoeba Records. The last of the Mohicans.

A good mooch around Amoeba Records was the highlight of a trip to LA a few years ago - great place!
Scories
ignatius wrote:
mandatory to check the Bill Laswell recreations of that era. im it's some of the best sound miles davis stuff... "Panthallassa: the music of miles davis".

if like the more somber sounding dreamy deep miles davis stuff then go out and get "Big Fun". it's pretty awesome. super deep. bathed in heroin i think. there's a lot of weird stuff here or there in some of the mixes. weird panning of mono drum tracks and stuff like that.. but it's some of the deepest melancholy in my music library.

Thank you very much. I bought these two albums and I've been spinning them over and over again.

Amazingly good music, ahead of its time.
IanEye

listentoaheartbeat
IanEye

porphyrion
My fav Miles will probably remain Agharta & Pangaea, both double LP's, both recorded on the same f*cking day! The sound is glorious imo.

Just finished his autobiography from 1990 (with Q. Troupe) - very interesting read once you get over the 15+ 'motherfucker' on each and every single page. Bird, Lacy, Coltrane, Monk, Mingus hell even Prince at the end -- they're all there. The ways in which he reinvented himself!
namshub
indexofmetals wrote:

I'd also recommend Alice Coltrane "Journey in Satchidananda" & Herbie Hancock "Sextant".

facemelters
Ranxerox
Check out the ECM label - lots of great electric-Miles influenced stuff on there:

Terje Rypdal
Jack DeJohnette
Chick Corea
Jon Hassell
Nils Petter Molvær etc.

Also early stuff by Michael Brook and David Torn is in a similar sort of vein. Excellent soundtracks to a quiet evening in with a bottle of wine (and perhaps a Significant Other...)
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Here's a few that come to mind:

David Torn -- Cloud About Mercury
Herbie Hancock -- Sextant
Ralph Towner -- Batik
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Oh shit, I almost forgot:

Mark Isham -- Miles Remembered: The Silent Way Project

This is a very good album. Mark Isham doesn't seem to get much "street cred" in jazz circles, perhaps because he recorded some fairly "new-agey" stuff early in his career, or because he mostly composes soundtracks, or maybe because he's a member of that creepy Scientology church (although this hasn't hampered Chick Corea's cred at all). In any case, he has made some stellar albums. Probably the best is his quintet album Blue Sun, which is strongly inspired by 60s Miles. If that album had come out on Blue Note in the 60s, then Isham would have been considered a jazz master.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1