MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Fader caps TTSH - alternatives/experience?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Fader caps TTSH - alternatives/experience?
SmartBits
I was looking at the WMD clear fader caps to put on the sliders of my TTSH and Turing Machine (I don't like the feel of those very much). Does anybody know of cheaper alternatives? And if anybody has the WMD version, maybe share experience?

https://wmdevices.com/products/clear-fader-caps-for-eurorack-modules-5 0-pack

raph36
look for "rubber tube cap" on aliexpress,

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20180528 023629&SearchText=rubber+tube+cap

some seller seem to have transparent ones so the part might be sourceable in china
SmartBits
raph36 wrote:
look for "rubber tube cap" on aliexpress,

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20180528 023629&SearchText=rubber+tube+cap

some seller seem to have transparent ones so the part might be sourceable in china

Thanks, but for the transparant ones they can only deliver large quantities (10K). So still looking...
diablojoy
find a cap shape you like make a mould of that and use casting resin

you will need to also take a mould of a slider's actuator then make a positive and suspend that into the casting resin so you can attach your slider caps nothing really difficult about it with a bit of planning

you can even add a tint to the resin and make them see through colours
Randy
diablojoy wrote:
find a cap shape you like make a mould of that and use casting resin

you will need to also take a mould of a slider's actuator then make a positive and suspend that into the casting resin so you can attach your slider caps nothing really difficult about it with a bit of planning

you can even add a tint to the resin and make them see through colours

I have tried this many times and it does sort-of work but the end result is not very usable. The issue is the need for a pressure pot (which I don't have), some method to get rid of the bubbles. You will also need two different kinds of two-part resin, one for the mould (you can use silicone as well but it can be delicate) and one for the actual part. Also mould release, and something to actually hold the mould material while it sets.

It's a fair bit of setup, material and work at first. I happened to have most of the stuff already because I was casting my own tires for slot cars. If you decide to do it, you can also add glow-in-the-dark powder from http://culturehustle.com/collections/frontpage/products/lit-the-worlds -glowiest-glow-pigment-100-pure-lit-powder-by-stuart-semple. This stuff is really amazing.

Check the Smooth-on website for some cool ideas.
SmartBits
Randy wrote:
It's a fair bit of setup, material and work at first.

I was thinking just that. Although I like the idea, I think it's a bit too complex for me. Especially since the caps would be quite tiny, my eyes and hands are not too good at that sort of stuff.
fuzzbass
The knobs on this were made for the Bournes LED sliders. There are enough on here to do an entire TTSH.

Behringer Ultra-Graph Pro

Not sure what to do with the rest of that kit, however...
SmartBits
Those are nice indeed! But that unit costs about 75-80 euro 2nd hand around here. Maybe I'll contact Behringer for some spare caps... hihi
SmartBits
Thanks again for the tip, fuzzbass! I decided to try your suggestion, bought a cheap FBQ-3102 (€50,-) and the caps are a perfect fit. Imo they give they TTSH a much more finished look and the feel of the sliders is much nicer. The tone down the brightness of the LEDs which is a good thing in my book.

gruvsyco
Wow. That looks really ace!
fuzzbass
Now yours looks like mine.
SmartBits
After I removed the caps I've put the old EQ up for auction. Auction ended yesterday, in the end I have the caps and even made a small profit of €7,-. So thanks again for the tip fuzzbass! we're not worthy
hamildad
I am thinking of doing this as there is a ultragraph on sale nearby for £50.

So annoying we cant buy these from Behringer direct.
drip.feed
Fantastic idea!
Rex Coil 7
Indeed, well done.

After this notion gets around a bit, we're going to see a lot of Behringer gear on eBay without caps!

lol
Rex Coil 7
SmartBits wrote:
I was looking at the WMD clear fader caps to put on the sliders of my TTSH ... Does anybody know of cheaper alternatives?

https://wmdevices.com/products/clear-fader-caps-for-eurorack-modules-5 0-pack
Holy crap, those things are $0.80 each. That's nearly 4x what colored ones cost. I suppose ~free shipping~ does count for something though.

Pffft ...

flts
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Holy crap, those things are $0.80 each. That's nearly 4x what colored ones cost. I suppose ~free shipping~ does count for something though.

I would guess colored ones are conveniently mass-produced and sold by a larger volume electronics store, while those are "custom" manufactured in smaller volumes for a single modular manufacturer (assuming you can't get identical ones from eg. Mouser or the Chinese markets). So there's probably a difference both in factory purchase / manufacturing price and markup...
sanders
SmartBits wrote:
After I removed the caps I've put the old EQ up for auction. Auction ended yesterday, in the end I have the caps and even made a small profit of €7,-. So thanks again for the tip fuzzbass! we're not worthy

Wow, that looks so much better. Do you have a photo of the entire instrument?
SmartBits
sanders wrote:
Wow, that looks so much better. Do you have a photo of the entire instrument?

Sure, however, the lighting is a bit difficult in my room but maybe this gives you an impression:

nickster
Anyone know what happened to the clear 3D printed pointer caps similar to the original that were mentioned on the Facebook site?
LED-man
nickster wrote:
Anyone know what happened to the clear 3D printed pointer caps similar to the original that were mentioned on the Facebook site?

Jamie Logan offer this 3D printed caps in few month.
He know that we want few thousand for the TTSH and sequencer.
More infos soon
hamildad
great news LED-man,

keep us non Facebookers updated.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1