MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Alternative ways to sequence the serge
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Alternative ways to sequence the serge
sdhains
hey wigglys

Right now my game is that I have a la bestia 2, and I'm mostly using max and a motu interface to sequence... It's an awesomely weird set up but sometimes I long for something a bit more 'immediate'... Thinking about buying a second panel but I'd rather go Edelweiss than TKB, which would still leave me without traditional sequencing gear.

I'm thinking maybe an SQ-1 with a format jumbler could be a good start.

Another idea I considered was an Android tablet with lemur, but having my computer and interface set up to do osc to midi conversion over wifi seems like a bit of a convoluted hassle (maybe not once you set it up). And yeah Shuttle Control looks like a good solution to that but is more of a euro rack format thing unfortunately. hmmm.....

Does anyone have any ideas about clever, cheap ways to sequence the serge?

Anyone sequencing their serge in lieu of a TKB or sequencer panel?

SlayerBadger!
Avjr
Another obvious option is the Arturia Keystep. Sequencer, arpeggiator and keyboard all in one for about the same price of the SQ-1, i think.

Or you can get 4x4 R*S modules instead of a full panel, that way you could get the Sequencer/Programmer, for instance. I have one and it's loads of fun.
tIB
Ive used a Tetramaps sequencer happily with the serge - nelsonbabboon may well have one for sale in the best at a ridiculous price right now. Recommended!
js213
I started my 4U system because I wanted the Sequencer/Programmer to go with my Euro Serge (I've now switched completely to 4U.) I also have an Edelweiss. It's hard to beat the Edelweiss for shear utility functionality, but I agree with Avjr, 4x4 would be my suggestion.

The best part about the R*S sequencer (or any Serge seq.) is the ability to clock it at audio rate, making it a cool wavetable-type oscillator. Plus the Up/Down, Reset and Hold inputs give you a lot of flexibility for changing up your sequence. I've got an SQ-1 as well, but the lack of CV control makes it a bit boring in my opinion.

I picked up a Digitakt (should be here tomorrow) and I want to see what I can do with that as a more traditional sequencer. Probably won't be very immediate, so I'm most likely not going to use it for that purpose.

Another option would be a nice random source (no pun intended) and a quantizer that allows you to narrow down the notes you want.
luketeaford
Another option is to just make a pseudo sequencer with the SSG? Obviously you can expand on that and find a few other ways to make fake sequences.
sdhains
Thanks for the responses all.. Definitely got me thinking about a lil 4x4 sequencer, although I'd have to figure out a neat power/enclosure solution....
hmmm.....

luketeaford wrote:
Another option is to just make a pseudo sequencer with the SSG? Obviously you can expand on that and find a few other ways to make fake sequences.

Love the concept of the 'pseudo sequencer'. I've experimented with some some basic S&H sequences on noise and waveforms . Really curious. Did you have any ideas on how you would begin to expand on that?
auxren
Check out my instructions for modifying an SQ-1 to work with banana jacks. It was pretty easy and didn't require any drilling. I modified two and use them both together to sequence my Serge and Buchla and they work real well!
http://www.auxren.com/2017/12/how-to-bananafy-korg-sq-1.html
luketeaford
sdhains wrote:
Love the concept of the 'pseudo sequencer'. I've experimented with some some basic S&H sequences on noise and waveforms . Really curious. Did you have any ideas on how you would begin to expand on that?

Cycle both sides of the SSG. Patch smooth's CYCLE to SAMPLE input. Take the sequence from 'stepped out' (just one suggestion, lots of other interesting outputs available). Change the speed of each sequence to derive different shapes. In this patch, CYCLE is a convenient master clock.
js213
auxren wrote:
Check out my instructions for modifying an SQ-1 to work with banana jacks. It was pretty easy and didn't require any drilling. I modified two and use them both together to sequence my Serge and Buchla and they work real well!

Thanks for the link. I need to fix my SQ-1 anyway, so it'd be a perfect time to banana-fy it.
sdhains
auxren wrote:

oh my god this is exactly what I am going to do. thank you so much for doing this.

out of curiosity and ignorance - what is the advantage of 1.2v/oct that you mention in the article?
bwhittington
sdhains wrote:
out of curiosity and ignorance - what is the advantage of 1.2v/oct that you mention in the article?

Buclha and EML compatibility.
laserpalace
Lorre-Mill Double Knot is a lot of fun. More for gates/clocks/modulation but if you are looking for something Serg-esque and atonal it's perfect.
lucid
I am using MODCAN TOUCH converted to 4U panel + 6 stage programmer
And waiting for Arches to come twisted
phisynth
another great way to sequence without a sequencer is to send clock divisions into a CV mixer / processor (provided you have these modules)
luketeaford
phisynth wrote:
another great way to sequence without a sequencer is to send clock divisions into a CV mixer / processor (provided you have these modules)

Also you can divide a super high frequency square wave to get subharmonic arpeggios. If you have an NCOM, you can send stepped voltages (or as phisynth suggests, gates) into the division to choose the subharmonic that way.
sdhains
phisynth wrote:

woah i finally have the modules to do this and i tried it last night... absolutely magical. thankyou!

luketeaford wrote:
Also you can divide a super high frequency square wave to get subharmonic arpeggios. If you have an NCOM, you can send stepped voltages (or as phisynth suggests, gates) into the division to choose the subharmonic that way.

I tried to figure this out, but couldn't.

Not sure if this is what you meant but putting a high frequency square wave (or now I think about it was I putting a pulse in there?) into the divider and then putting that into a CV mixer and then back into the 1V/oct on my oscillator didn't seem to do anything.

Could you possibly elaborate on what your doing with the NCOM?

Thanks!! we're not worthy
sdhains
double
luketeaford
Sure, sdhains

Here is the first version of the clock divider as sequencer patch described by phisynth:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkOcUkiguTo/

Here is an intermediate version where the clock that goes into the divider has its division chosen by a cycling function (creates accelerando):
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkOdxEegWOq/

Here is the final version where NCOM divides a very high pitched pulse to create different tones and the division is determined by a mixture of gates mixed and sent to NCOM's VC input. In this case, the gates are /2, /3, /8 so it creates a 24 step sequence.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkOfiIPgE8x/
js213
Very cool. Thanks for the videos.
MindMachine
Get an SQ-1 already. They're the best $99.00 ever.

I find the SSG Stepped mixed with some LFO makes a pseudo sequencer/arpeggiator.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1