VCF recommendations

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Addled
Common Wiggler

VCF recommendations

Post by Addled » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:55 pm

Currently I just have one VCF in my 6u system. It's an Erica Synths Polivoks and I really like it. However, I'm thinking about getting an additional filter for variety. I've heard the Polivoks described as dirty and I'd like something to contrast that characteristic. Are there any particular modules I should take a look at or specs I should watch out for? I'd prefer something DIY. I tend toward darker stuff style-wise and this would get used on lead, bass, and drone patches.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:07 pm

The Random*Source VCFQ or VCFS might be what you're looking for. The VCFQ is more versatile and sounds great pinged/FMd, as an oscillator, as an LFO.

The VCFS is really smooth and it sounds great filtering down to bass frequencies. The resonance characteristic is hard to describe, but it doesn't self oscillate.

They are both DIY.

pre55ure
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pre55ure » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 pm

Was going to recommend something smooth as a contrast to the polivoks. Rolandish was what came to mind, maybe Frequency Central DIY filters (Roland based) or the Jove (jupiter 6 based). But luketeaford suggestions are good as well, Serge filters are also a very good compliment to my ears.

Futuresound

Post by Futuresound » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:51 pm

I’m with luketeaford, VCFS is smooth and excellent. I attenuate audio and CV going in, I find it sounds better and responds to CV in a way that works better for me.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:24 am

L-1 2180 VCF, no doubt. Smooth, versatile, DIY.

http://l-1.su/2180VCF.html
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece using Instruō harmonàig and Cš-L. 🐡

Addled
Common Wiggler

Post by Addled » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:43 am

I really like the VCFQ and the L-1 2180. From watching videos I can hear a similar difference in the two compared to my current VCF. I'm off to research "pinging" a VCF now. Thanks folks!

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:14 am

Doepfer, Doepfer, Doepfer. Great range of cheap and characterful filters. :party:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Skiff, Waveform Laboratory, Funboat

snadge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by snadge » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:06 am

WMD/SSF MMF is a silky smooth filter in 4HP.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: VCF recommendations

Post by lisa » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:11 am

Addled wrote:I'd prefer something DIY.
Kind reminder to those suggesting filters. ;)

vertflyer
Common Wiggler

Post by vertflyer » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:07 am

Have you checked out the lil Erebus? It’s diy. Has plenty of character and not only can you use it as just a filter, you get as a bonus, a full synth voice, 2 osc, a bbd delay... all for a decent price. It has an audio in and control of vcf. I personally love the sound of the Erebus filter.

guestt

Post by guestt » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:20 am

I'll second the R*S VCF Q - really nice DIY kit (the only thing to really be careful with is those styro caps) sounds fantastic, even the high pass sounds great!

I have a couple of Polivoks variants (Erica/Harvestman) and the contrast between the two filter variants is about as far apart as they could be.

If you were only going to have two filters, these would be a good balance in my opinion.

mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mskala » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:51 am

I like the Intellijel Dr. Octature II as a clean filter that contrasts with the Polivoks. My company also sells the Leapfrog VCF, which is a available as a DIY kit and has a very smooth sound.
Last edited by mskala on Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
North Coast Synthesis Ltd.
Latest Web log posting: Genome Jazz

Artaos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Artaos » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:19 pm

God’s Box Humpback filter DIY kit sounds great too, and has an SEM character. I’ll second the VCFQ recommendation as I’m about to build mine!

Addled
Common Wiggler

Post by Addled » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:30 pm

I think I'm sold on the VCFQ. Once I get a couple side jobs out of the way I'll be jumping up to 9u! :nana:

DonKartofflo
The knob-twisting Hive Mind

Post by DonKartofflo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:25 pm

Some of my favs:

The vcfq is quite hifi sounding, loves audio rate modulation, sounds generally brilliant but in a more clean way. Not at all sterile though, the resonance and overall sound have a very "acoustic" character.
Overall a beautiful clarity and liveliness to the sound.

The bastl cinnamon is often overlooked. Its a basic, clean sounding state variable filter in its basic mode however it has two resonance character switches that turn the resonance from smooth and liquid into sharp and raspy. Very aggressive but not in a polivoks way. It also has an oversrive switch for a very nicely defined and round overdrive that adda body and low frequency enhancement to anything you put into it.

The doepfer a-108 is a bit of an oddball. It is a moog transistor ladder however it has 48db, 24db, 12db and 6db lowpass outputs as well as a bandpass output which makes for amazing tonal variety. The 6db is quite cool, very very gentle but wonderful for hairy bassy sounds.
Resonance is very moogy and the input can be driven quite hard for a wooly and creamy overdrive with humongous bass.
Nelson Baboon wrote:Beware of people who tell you to smile.
FS:
Mutable Instruments Tides 1 120€
Addac sys 12U powered frame 200€

Bartimaeus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bartimaeus » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:23 pm

Given the dirtyness of the Polivoks (I have one too), I think it'd be great to get something smoother like a Moog-style filter. I use an Analogue Systems RS100S, which is an excellent ladder filter, but there's a bunch of other options out there. The Doepfer SEM filter is also excellent, which a rich, smooth sound.

If you want something that's more of a transparent utility filter, try the Intellijel uVCF!

leftbracket
Common Wiggler

Post by leftbracket » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:40 pm

DonKartofflo wrote:The bastl cinnamon is often overlooked. Its a basic, clean sounding state variable filter in its basic mode however it has two resonance character switches that turn the resonance from smooth and liquid into sharp and raspy. Very aggressive but not in a polivoks way. It also has an oversrive switch for a very nicely defined and round overdrive that adda body and low frequency enhancement to anything you put into it.
And it's only 5 HP! I replaced my Wasp with one after it broke and I haven't looked back. Excellent filter all around.

Addled
Common Wiggler

Post by Addled » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:20 pm

I forgot about the cinnamon. I looked at it when I was deciding what my first filter should be but at the time it didn't catch my ear. I'll have to revisit that one.

Seaweed Sound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Seaweed Sound » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:28 pm

Synth Tech E440 would be a good contrast.. hard to imagine someone not liking that filter for bass and leads. AJH MiniMod VCF could be a contender.. has a built in mixer.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:10 am

Addled wrote:I forgot about the cinnamon. I looked at it when I was deciding what my first filter should be but at the time it didn't catch my ear. I'll have to revisit that one.
Cinammon, while a great VCF is enough toward the same territory as the Polivoks, that I would look differently. The Freq. Central Rogue and Raging Bull builds suggested above would give some real good contrast.

Or an inexpensive A-106-5 SEM as suggested would be a great contrast.

dmod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dmod » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:52 am

I strongly believe every system needs a good ladder filter. I suggest the AJH Minimod. Moog filter. Unbelievably good and FAT! Trust me.

stylesforfree
Common Wiggler

Post by stylesforfree » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:58 am

Make noise MMG and intelligent.polaris are both superb

Staticcharge
Common Wiggler

Post by Staticcharge » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:33 pm

As previously mentioned the frequency central raging bull is now available in a 3.0 version with 3 audio inputs. DIY as requested and if you swap out the main filter caps for say, Mylar caps the charicturistics change. I built on and had to buy another, amazing filter. System X filter also from frequency central is another wise investment. With both at good prices why not build both, if they dont work out for you then you can always shelve them until you expand...
The Manhattan analogue svvcf is also a killer filter and they do a Steiner vcf, both as kits or panel and pcb.

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:59 pm

Highly recommend the Xaoc Belgrad. I have that and an Erica Synths polivoks in my 6u. The Belgrad has a ton of different filter modes, fm, two resonance peaks, cross modulation and can self oscillate and track 1v/Oct. A large range of sounds from smooth to nasty.

Bignorthumbrian
Common Wiggler

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:10 pm

Eowave - Fluctuations Magnetiques, twin dual filters, plenty of character, a bit big, but if you have the space it’s a lot of filter for the money and DivKid has made a superb video showing its features.
here hare here!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”