MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Plugins that can output CV for modulation / triggering
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Plugins that can output CV for modulation / triggering
Mr D
How about a list of plugins and software that can output CV for modulation or triggering of modular gear?

Envelopes, LFOs, sequencers, utility plugins, whatchugot?

I'll get the ball rolling:

Polyverse Gatekeeper: envelope plugin, can output CV.

Melda Productions - MPowerSynth & MXXX. Although not designed for CV, you can generate a CV signal inside them, then modulate it's amplitude in a million ways via the incredible Melda modulation subsystem. Can output 5 channels of CV from one plugin instance if routed to a surround channel. Has a very powerful arp / sequencer.

Any others?
GuyaGuy
Expert Sleepers Silent Way
MOTU Volta
Spektro Audio CV Toolkit
mt3
GuyaGuy wrote:
MOTU Volta
Spektro Audio CV Toolkit

I'd stick with these dedicated CV input/output softwares.
Mr D
mt3 wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:
MOTU Volta
Spektro Audio CV Toolkit

I'd stick with these dedicated CV input/output softwares.

Don't sleep on Gatekeeper, it has built in CV output and is an extremely powerful and tweakable envelope / sequencer!
Mr D
Another really interesting sequencer, can output CV directly:

https://dialogaudio.com/sequenceprocessor/index.php

Includes a slew limiter.
tonymasiello
The Polyverse Gatekeeper seems very interesting. How physically is the CV signal getting generated? Is this expecting a MIDI/CV converter on the modular side? I watched a demo on youtube and it looked like the CV was attached to one of the audio outs. Thanks!
Mr D
It generates the CV internally in the plugin, then outputs that signal to your D/A converter........but you'll need an interface that can output CV.

Just think of it as a VSTi synthesizer that has a modulatable oscillator that can run at 0 hertz!

Also check out the other plug i mentioned (SQ4),i was playing with it last night, it's an insane sequencer.

It's missing some stuff i'd like to see, but it's only just been released.
tonymasiello
Thanks for the quick reply Mr D. Can you give me an example of an interface that supports CV output? That is still the missing link for me to understand how this would work.

FWIW, I have found that I can use the sequencer/piano roll in my daw to create pseudo lfo/envelope cv shapes via midi to cv. I recently started recording a very long form composition that required several passes though midi/cv to my modular setup. I wanted to slowly modulate one parameter, gradually increasing it during the last few mins of each track, but I wanted it the same each time. I found that a sequence of all C0 notes up to the time the modulation starts, and then a chromatic run up to C10 near the end of the track, got me almost exactly what I was looking for, I just needed to tweak the offsets a little. I realize that approach might be to coarse for many applications, but for my needs this time, it worked perfect.
Mr D
OK!

There's a few different ways to skin that cat.

There some very simple audio plugins (like Silent Way DC) that can output constant DC voltage (CV).

So, all you'd need to do would be to create an audio track in your DAW, insert "Silent Way DC" as an FX, then output that track (via a DC compatible interface, or more strictly speaking D/A converter) to your modular gear.
If you automate (change) the output volume of that track, you'll effectively be changing the CV level that your modular gear receives.

The advantage of doing it that way is this: if you use Gatekeeper to create a minute long CV modulation, you'll need to listen to it each time from the beginning as you can't trigger it from half way through, that's not how these envelope plugins work.

Where as with the Silent Way DC method outlined above, you can start playing from anywhere in your timeline and the CV will play out at the desired level.

You might also want to look in to Bitwig as it's really designed with this stuff in mind.

Let us know what audio interface you have, then it's easier to suggest a way to output CV directly from your DAW.
tonymasiello
I have a Steinberg UR22mkII, though I rarely use it and when I do, it is mostly for A/D or MIDI pass-thru. I have never used it for D/A.

http://download.steinberg.net/downloads_hardware/UR22mkII/UR22mkII_doc umentation/ur22mkII_en_om_a0.pdf

Thanks!
Mr D
OK!......

I fear it aint gonna happen with the Steinberg interface (no digital outputs)

.....it's a bit if an investment but you'll be well served with this:

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es8.html
tonymasiello
Thanks for the info. I will probably stick with in rack cv options for now... would be a nice luxury though....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1