MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

250e external input fix
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author 250e external input fix
emp
I'm experimenting with the 250e and the 223e arpeggiator tuned out going into an external input of the 250e. The idea is to catch pitches from the arpeggiator and hit the fix button to create nice counterpoints. But..
I start out by patching the arpeggiator tuned output to a 261e and a DPO, making sure they track the arp correctly in tune. Then, i change the banana going to the DPO and patch it via the 250e (tuned-->ext in A and CV 1-->DPO). All stages is set to track the whole range (all) and no quant or interp is on. So far everything works as expected (if i compensate for a slight cv offset).
When hitting the fix button i thought that the 250e should freeze all the latest values stored on the respective stage. Is that a correct assumption?
Because if it is, it doesn't seem to work. I can here pitches from the DPO that doesn't exist in the arpeggiator. Why is this? Is it a bug? Or just something i misunderstood about the fix function?
rayce
From my cheatsheet notes on the 250e. I'm not in front of it right now to test but maybe they can help you:

Stage specific replacement of pot values with external voltages: Edit the stage, and press the voltage button in the lower left. Now the big knob on the stage selects between A,B,C, or D, corresponding to the four voltage inputs in the lower left. Can Quantize and interpolate the incoming voltages.

Fix is a sample and hold on the incoming voltage.

When fix is hit it is permanently held in that sampled state. So 250e is a cv recorder. Needs to be turned off then turned on again for a new cv cycle. Time says to sample a voltage for the time cv. Be sure to select the desired voltage (1 or 2 upper right or time lower left).

So the idea now is to feed this into a second 250e (or 251e) running in continuous or strobed mode so that a fixed set of compatible pitches results. change sequences on the fly while staying in tune. Just press and hold the the fix button a couple of times.
emp
Thanks! Yes, this is how i understand the ”cv recording” too. And that’s why i also find it strange that it seems to fix and output cv values that i didn’t send to the input.
batchas
To avoid confusion I edited and deleted my post, because I see now in your post by reading again it tracks correctly, so all is set ok. It's only when you hit the FIX button that you say there's a difference.
So I'll check on mine if trimmers behind.
batchas
And most important, to start "troubleshoot".
Pers. I'd try first with no arpeggio, but a fix CV value, to be sure.
Something you have more control on so to say, before going deeper.

EDIT: Oh. Sorry I see in your post by reading again it tracks correctly, so all is set ok. It's only when you hit the FIX button.
So I'll check on mine if trimmers behind.
batchas
Ok, I checked, no trimmers in the back of the 250e.

Also quickly checked with a fixed value coming into A.
Something worth noticing:
Let's say I send a CV of 1v into A.
At the output (without even fixing it) it is less than 1v. Let's say it's 0.9v.
So it is already different than the orginal incoming signal. Same value on B, C or D.

And the FIX function fixes these 0.9v. I checked.

So it means if you have a voltage of 1v at the output of the 250e, when you fix it is is 1v. So the fix works.
It's only (on mine at least) you have a slight negative offset applied to all inputs.

So once you checked with a fixed voltage on yours that the fix works properly like I describe, you can tune your 2nd oscillator accordingly. I tried here, it's ok. Only it sounds strange fixing/holding the CV on 1 and it sounds logically not in tune (as the CV advances for the 1rst osc).

I thought I would have to compensate with the attenuator at the CV IN on the 2nd oscillator or use a voltage processor like the 256e but simply tuning it seems ok (I admit I like fine-detuned osc anyway for the things I do + I'm not even sure all oscillators are tracking 100%, so I can't say 100% it's accurate).
emp
After some more experiments it seems that my issues were related to a slight difference in latency between the 223e and 250e while clocking one from the other. I tried with the 223e as master first and then i get these strange voltages stored in the 250e. If i delay the triggers just a bit it works. Also, if the 250e is master it’s more stable. But the best results seems to be having them both running on midi clock (or maybe any other common external clock but i didn’t try that yet).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1