MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Turning squares into malleable shapes
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Turning squares into malleable shapes
huffnPuff
Maths and such can transform a square to a ramp or triangle.
A LPF filter will transform it to a sinusoid.
A wave folder can work with all of the above.

Other ideas?
cptnal
What would be "malleable"?

Been thinking about this sort of thing myself lately. The ones that spring to mind first are the three M's: FM, RM, AM. Subjecting a square to these wouldn't necessarily result in something malleable though. hmmm.....

An up-and-coming diversion is to try some of Warps' algorithms with CV. Get it on the scope and see what happens...
huffnPuff
The three Ms are more effective IMO with a square that has already been processed. e.g. a square into a filter into a wavefolder feeding back into its own FM input twisted
cptnal
huffnPuff wrote:
The three Ms are more effective IMO with a square that has already been processed. e.g. a square into a filter into a wavefolder feeding back into its own FM input twisted

eek! You had to go and say that, didn't you? At least two hours before I'm back at my rack, you know. hyper
huffnPuff
w00t
huffnPuff
Cross FM and some logic with squares gives... Jupiter Storm!

There’s things you can do with slopes though, that can’t be reproduced with pure squares.
mskala
All-pass filters are useful for this sort of thing. Make the signal continuous (i.e. with all voltages in between the peaks instead of just high and low) so that voltage-based effects like wave folding will work, but without losing frequency components.
starthief
huffnPuff wrote:
Maths and such can transform a square to a ramp or triangle.
A LPF filter will transform it to a sinusoid.
A wave folder can work with all of the above.

Other ideas?

Other filter types, and multing the square to FM the filter.

Maths etc. can also change the pulse width, phase, divide the frequency etc. (use EOR / EOC), and then with the original square you can mix, apply boolean or analog logic etc. to get different shapes.

A PLL. You should still get a square, but with different pulse width and tracking (and once again you can mix/logic it vs. the original)

A delay -- again, you can mult the square to the delay CV, and can also apply feedback, and the delay may add its own color.
huffnPuff
Some great ideas there, thanks!
MarcelP
"Turning squares into malleable shapes"

I was hoping for the origami thread...
Parnelli
Not that I use it like a wave folder, so I don't even know if it counts, but I feed the Wogglebug all sorts of weird CV and FM using the resultant for running an oscillator.

I clock it with the square out of a Bubblesound uLFO, modulate the speed with a sine, modulate the external with a stepped square, and the Influence with FM or something else weird, and it drives my Pittsburgh Waveforms nuts.
Navs
Squares are boring hihi

But seriously, bend away:

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.com/2012/11/patch-tips-25-filters-do-ma ths.html
Parnelli
Indeed. Some squares are simply not malleable no matter what you hit them with.... Dead Banana
huffnPuff
Navs wrote:
Squares are boring hihi

But seriously, bend away:

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.com/2012/11/patch-tips-25-filters-do-ma ths.html

Now THIS is malleable! we're not worthy

I just tried it with both sections of the u Hadron Collider set all the way CCW and controlled by the same frequency CV, one set as a LPF the other as a BPF.

I dont have a scope so I plugged it into an oscillator’s FM input and lowered the oscillator and filter cutoff frequency to slow LFO rates.

I’m getting very bendy CV! The resonance acts like a symmetry control and crazy wave folder combined. And if you overload this monster of a filter you get crazy timbres in audio rates.

Rockin' Banana!

I never gelled with this filter, maybe I should reconsider.
kindredlost
Using logic has been pointed out already and using a really good logic module can be as important. I like Plog module for things like this by using modifiers at audio rate. For that matter Plog is good as an oscillator although a little more work to harness in a tuned manner. The following used it with pulse waves from two vco’s and Maths along with a Pressure Points as a control key.

From the video description....

Getting a first feel of the Make Noise Pressure Points.
The module is connected to two Q106 vco's with pulse wave outputs. They are routed back into the Intellijel Plog X & Y inputs. Then the logic signals at audio rate are sent from the Plog channel A & B out to Maths channels 1 & 4. The output of these Maths channels are sent to a CP3 mixer before routing through various envelopes, delays and frequency shifters.
The four channels of the PP are separated into four configurations of the routings and also control some parameters on the Maths, the Plog and frequencies of the vco's as well as the CV of the Encore frequency shifter and Modcan dual delay 73B.
Somehow the pitch variations on channel one of the PP (which is responding to the pressure), is not controlling the pitch of the vco's but rather controlling the B channel logic TYPE of the Plog. I never switched to view it (sorry) but the changes in pressure shifted the logic state which caused the frequency of the Maths CH4 to change. A strange and accidental patch fluke. One that I wasn't expecting. This is the deep cello or bass string sound at the beginning and end.
There is a feedback loop between the Plog and Maths. The channle B of the Plog is sent to the Maths Channel 4 and then returned to the Channel A logic TYPE of the Plog.
dooj88
Parnelli wrote:
Indeed. Some squares are simply not malleable no matter what you hit them with.... Dead Banana

hit with a CV controlled slew with some stepped random controlling the rise/fall rate
BTByrd
I like wavetable based waveshapers like the WMD Geiger Counter or the Wiard Miniwave / Malekko Megawave. This is a video I did a while back shaping sinewaves with the Geiger Counter. Different wave shape, but you get an idea of what's achievable.

Of course, bit crushing a square wave doesn't do anything. Sample rate reduction, on the other hand...
huffnPuff
What does SRR do to squares?
oneunkind
huffnPuff wrote:

aliases like crazy on high pitches.
reproduces pulse widths incorrectly.

makes atari noises.
BTByrd
huffnPuff wrote:

That nyquisty thing that SSR does to everything.

If you have a sample and hold, you can try it yourself using analog means. Feed your source square into the input of the S&H (where the noise signal typically is) and then feed an audio-speed square wave into the S&H's trigger input. The frequency of the trigger oscillator determines the defacto sample rate. If you have it at very high speeds, there will be no effect. But as you sweep the frequency down, your input signal will start to develop artifacts as the harmonic content exceeds the sample frequency.
tito_tunes
There are deep worlds to be explored with using a function generator as a waveshaper on square waves. I got interested in this technique after reading about the variophon which is an early German woodwind synthesizer. It's based on the idea that in a reed instrument you have these pulses that are fixed in width regardless of frequency. This creates a formant like quality that's very naturalistic. Pushed a little further it can create frequency divisions and make overtones jump out.

Basically every time the square wave rises it triggers an envelope at audio rates and small changes to the up and down slew rate can give a lot of different timbres. This gives you something more triangle ish which is then prime for wavefolding. I've made some uncannily acoustic sounding tones using this combo, in my case Maths and Toppobrillo Triple Wavefolder
huffnPuff
Good idea although that’s re-synthesizing the square rather than shaping it.

Likewise, I guess, you could feed the square into a PLL, an audio-rate sequencer or another oscillator’s sync input, although what you describe makes more sense.

thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1