MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Transients and Modern Analog Techno
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Transients and Modern Analog Techno
Rost + Licht
Hey,

I really like the detailed Production that you can hear on Alva Notos New LP.
(Here is the Soundcloud Set of the Album https://soundcloud.com/noton-info/sets/alva-noto-unieqav-noton)

What I like about it, is that its detailed, without Brick Walling Everything like you find it in most modern "Berghain" Techno Productions, but rather focussing on working out the Analog sounding single sounds to give them more Detail. Also trough this each Sound gets its own space without having to add Reverb too drastically if that makes sense.

Could this be achieved with an Transient Shaper like the SPL Transient Designer 4? What are some other Recommendations in subtle working out Detail on Sounds, esp. One Shots/Percs/Chords

Best,
mx
ihav2p
there is a redbull music academy video where he shows how he makes his sounds by cutting up tiny bits of audio. It's really simple.
Rost + Licht
oh hey, thanks for the tipp. will watch it.

sounds like he kinda uses transients with those tiny audio clips, meaning like the d50 or other pcm synths used this to give instruments more smack and/or to reproduce the attack of acoustic instruments. interesting!
dubonaire
He doesn't always use the same technique. Sometimes he converts data to soundfiles. He used granular synthesis on the Univrs album.
ihav2p
I cant for the life of me find the video anymore. He basically used a multitrack audioeditor and copy pasted single cycle waveforms. Did anyone else see this?
astrodislocate
dubonaire
That's the one. It's actually a CDR workshop.
Rost + Licht
astrodislocate wrote:

awesome, thanks for the link! I also just found the recent RBMA Talks.

Kinda Bullshit that they cut out ALL the Audio and Video Material he is showing. I'm sure its not related to any mental sickness of the editor but seriously, whyyy?
Navs
Rost + Licht wrote:

Could this be achieved with an Transient Shaper like the SPL Transient Designer 4? What are some other Recommendations in subtle working out Detail on Sounds, esp. One Shots/Percs/Chords

In the first two tracks you linked to it sounds like good arrangement. You won't need transient shapers if your sounds are clear and distinct and, as you note, have been given space to speak.
Funky40
the multitrack Editor he is using, what is it ?
Rost + Licht
Funky40 wrote:
the multitrack Editor he is using, what is it ?

Amadeus Pro
https://www.hairersoft.com/pro.html

Very interesting indeed, like the clean look and how you can sculpt your audio material. I'm looking for something to switch over from Ableton for this purpose
dubonaire
Navs wrote:
Rost + Licht wrote:

In the first two tracks you linked to it sounds like good arrangement. You won't need transient shapers if your sounds are clear and distinct and, as you note, have been given space to speak.

Yes I think Navs is right. What is particular about Alva Noto, and quite a few other artists on Raster Noton, is the fastidious attention to detail. In that interview you can hear him say it is a long process, and I think the real key is the time spent finding these fast transient sounds and other sounds, and meticulously composing all of the the sound elements. There is an impressively strong aesthetic principle of precision running through all of Carsten Nicolai's sound and visual work.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1