pre-drilled euro blanks???

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

D/A A/D
glorious dissonance

pre-drilled euro blanks???

Post by D/A A/D » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:52 am

Does anyone know where to get 4 and 8 hp pre-drilled blanks???

Alex

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:53 pm

Pre-drilled in what way? Doepfer has 4hp and 8hp ones that have the mounting holes drilled, you could always get a cheapo drill (press) and a few bits and DIY holes for 1/8" or 1/4" jacks - that way you'll get as many as you want and in the places you want them to be in.

D/A A/D
glorious dissonance

Post by D/A A/D » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:34 pm

flts wrote:Pre-drilled in what way? Doepfer has 4hp and 8hp ones that have the mounting holes drilled, you could always get a cheapo drill (press) and a few bits and DIY holes for 1/8" or 1/4" jacks - that way you'll get as many as you want and in the places you want them to be in.
I would love to be able to do it myself... But when you move from a house to an apartment with 3 other guys - space isn't an option. I don't have room or the money for a drill press. :bang:

A 4hp blank drilled all in a line like the multiples would be great...

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:35 pm

http://www.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=3;LA=2; ... d1ba938f1f

http://www.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=3;LA=2; ... d1ba938f1f

dunno if these links work, and this is in Germany, but non-synth electronics stores carry the blank panels, too, at roughly the Doepfer price.

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:56 pm

D/A A/D wrote:I would love to be able to do it myself... But when you move from a house to an apartment with 3 other guys - space isn't an option. I don't have room or the money for a drill press. :bang:
I feel you man - I currently share a small student apartment with a roomie and we don't have any excess space either.

However, I was checking small drill presses at local shops and turns out the tabletop ones are damn cheap (cheapest around 100USD I guess) and often have the footprint of an A4 or A3 paper, quite a bit higher of course. Not too high quality and probably not that good for drilling big holes to thick sheet metal (need slow speeds and lots of oomph) but should be good enough for jack holes on 1-2mm aluminium panels. We're both into DIY stuff, so I figured I COULD fit one of those things somewhere and we could both use it.

Or maybe you could find a local workshop where you could drill a few holes or let some friendly guys do the job for you? I've had to make trips to my parents' house so far, which sucks when you have everything else ready but need some holes for a front panel...
A 4hp blank drilled all in a line like the multiples would be great...
Maybe get an used Doepfer mult module and take the jacks off? :lol: Or maybe ask someone on this forum to do a favour if anyone lives on the same area and has a drill...

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:40 pm

D/A A/D wrote: A 4hp blank drilled all in a line like the multiples would be great...
the 4hp pre-drilled blanks that doepfer sell are exactly this. i have a spare one - drop me a pm if you would like it

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:59 pm

Damn, I didn't realize Doepfer sells pre-drilled blanks, where can you get them? That's a convenient solution right there then :hihi:

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:33 pm

Get a Dremelâ„¢. You can add the optional 'drill press' part later for not much $$$. Then you'll be set for life.

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:33 pm

flts, for you I'd recommend Schneiders Laden.
http://www.schneidersladen.de/english.html
- search for "Blind" - also, musicstore.de and thomann.de carry them, I believe.

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:56 pm

Kent wrote:Get a Dremelâ„¢. You can add the optional 'drill press' part later for not much $$$. Then you'll be set for life.
Have you successfully drilled many bigger holes to aluminium / metal panels with a Dremel? I know it's super convenient for stuff like drilling PCBs and other stuff like that but I thought the power and speed wouldn't be too good for something like 1/8" and 1/4" jack holes on aluminium, ideally you would need either a heftier battery powered drill or a mains powered drill press for that.

Reason I'm asking is that I was planning to get a Dremel at some point but was discouraged because the main use would be drilling holes for different types of connectors and I was told by several people it isn't too awesome for that. I think there was even a thread in electro-music about this...

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:58 pm

wetterberg wrote:flts, for you I'd recommend Schneiders Laden.
http://www.schneidersladen.de/english.html
- search for "Blind" - also, musicstore.de and thomann.de carry them, I believe.
For some reason I could just find standard non-drilled blinds at those... I have some of them already, but I thought sandyb was talking about 4HP blanks that would have like 8x 1/8" holes ready drilled and I couldn't find those.

consumed
International Filter Conspiracy

Post by consumed » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:30 pm

you dont need a drill press to make straight holes...i do all my drilling with a hand drill. i use:

hand drill
unibit
a couple very small bits to make the "guide" holes first
center punch
small hammer
piece of wood (to screw the panel down to while drilling)
stickers
a pen
sharpie

a "center punch" is just a metal thingie with a point on one end and a flat opposing end that is struck with a hammer to make a dent.
regarding the sticker technique--i use the straight edge of a label-type sticker and draw on its edge where i want the holes (using a ruler or grid paper). then i stick it down to the panel and carefully sharpie mark the points along the edge of the sticker (this guarantees a straight line). then i center punch the marks to make tiny little dents--this is a remarkably lo-tech but accurate method. then i drill my first hole with a tiny bit, then a second hole a bit larger, then i use the unibit and bore the hole out until i have the size i need. then then then

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:34 pm

flts wrote: I thought sandyb was talking about 4HP blanks that would have like 8x 1/8" holes ready drilled and I couldn't find those.
i am :) they're in the "specials" section of the doepfer website
http://www.doepfer.de/sonder.htm
(about half way down the page)

sandy

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:40 pm

sandyb wrote:i am :) they're in the "specials" section of the doepfer website
http://www.doepfer.de/sonder.htm
(about half way down the page)
Thanks! I was just looking at the standard Doepfer price list page, missed that one. Seems they have both 4HP with 8 holes and 8HP with 8 jack and 5 pot holes or something similar. Not bad!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”