MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

automation for VCF in cubase 5
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author automation for VCF in cubase 5
isak
Hi smile

i have a x0xb0x (TB303 clone), its with midi in, out and thru, i can only write midi notes in cubase, all the pots section is not involved in the midi section, i did a VCF CV in mod, i'm using FF400 so i connect the headphones output to the VCF CV in mod, what are the preferences in cubase5 that i need to do to control the VCF?

thanks in advance, Isak E.
baltimoroder
I would first make sure I have the right cable. Then follow the Cubase youtube here isuppose...

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/siwatutorials.html
isak
thanks for replying.

i made this cable..

TRS jack to 2 TS jacks.

the Cubase youtube is not good for me coz the x0xb0x haves already midi in and out, as i said only the POTS section is not involved with midi so i did a VCF CV in mod to it and i want to control it via cubase like OS said i can automate the VCF in cubase i want to know how please seriously, i just don't get it
maybe its more complex then i think?
bil_g
I've only used the Fireface for CV/Gate. I haven't used the DC plugin yet. If you haven't seen it, I found this description. It's for DP but it may help.
os
isak wrote:
maybe its more complex then i think?

No, it's very simple. Use the Silent Way DC plug-in. Use Cubase's parameter automation to automate the plug-in's 'Out -1->1' parameter. Job done.
isak
thanks OS

let me tell you what i do..
i configure in cubase that my synth will be like a vsti instrument, so i open add vsti instrument and from external plug-ins i open the x0xb0x.
as i alredy said the synth is pluged to midi in and midi out, so i can write midi notes.
do i need to put the Silent Way DC plug-in like an effect in the insert section of the x0xb0x channel?
when i put the DC plug in in the insert section it wont play, when i mute the plug it plays.
can u please detail step by step ? huh?

sorry and thank you.
os
No, the Silent Way DC plug-in needs to go on an audio track by itself, and you need to route the audio from that channel to the FF400's headphone output, then connect the headphone output to the VCF CV input.
isak
thanks,
on F4 i open another stereo output (output 7 and 8, headphones)
i open an audio file and put in the insert the DC plug-in, in the output channel i send it to 7 and 8 outputs.. now what what knob controls the VCF?

i'm having a feeling that i'm doing something wrong here.. very frustrating
os
Use either of the 'Out' knobs on the DC plug-in.
isak
not working.. cry
any ideas?
os
What's not working exactly?

Can you see the plug-in's output on the level meters in Cubase? Do you have a signal leaving the Fireface?
isak
thanks for replying, i'm just checking if the VCF CV in mod is ok first..
hmmm.....
isak
ok i'm back smile

i fixed the VCF cv in it was my bad..sorry
now the DC plugin is ok but not ok..
i turn in the right channel the out-1->1 knob and its doing something but not cutoff..
its changes the sound in a wierd way..

i'll tell you what i did.
i open the synth channel.
i open a audio channel and put in the inserts the DC plug in.
and of course plug the RME headphones to the VCF cv in.
do i need to route? how do i do that?

thanks OS
os
isak wrote:
do i need to route? how do i do that?

I just meant that the output assignment of the audio channel needs to be to your FF400's outputs 7/8.
isak
man i feel like stupid d'oh!

ok step by step..
do i need to open another output channel that will be 7/8?
do i need to send the audio output to the 7/8 output channel?

help
os
yes.
isak
now its doing nothing.

on F4 on cubase i open another stereo output, my outputs are 7/8.
i went to the Audio file output and put it on stereo output 2, that means that this audio channel output is 7/8, right?

if i do that its not even doing that weird sound he was doing before.
do i need to send the instrument track to 7/8 as well?
os
Do you have the VCF connected to output 7 or 8?
isak
i tryed both coz i didnt knew what is what...

when i connect the Y cable to the VCF cv in the cutoff automatically closed even without the DC plug in.
when i unplug it ..it becomes normal, so i guess the VCF cv in mod works fine.
i test it with my other x0x and it works just fine.

are they both cv's from the Y cable need to be connected?
os
isak wrote:
when i connect the Y cable to the VCF cv in the cutoff automatically closed even without the DC plug in.
when i unplug it ..it becomes normal, so i guess the VCF cv in mod works fine.

That's hardly a complete test. Do you have any way of verifying that the mod is actually responding to voltage?

Alternatively, if you have a voltmeter, you could measure the voltage on the outputs of your Y lead.
isak
Quote:
That's hardly a complete test. Do you have any way of verifying that the mod is actually responding to voltage?

i told u i connect it to another x0x cv out and i'd manage to control it via its keyboard, the higher the note the higher the cutoff is open the lower note the lower the cut of is going.

Quote:
Alternatively, if you have a voltmeter, you could measure the voltage on the outputs of your Y lead.

when i put the Out-1->1 on full clock wise it 1.79V
os
OK, so Silent Way is generating a voltage, and your synth is responding to voltage.

And yet when you connect the two, it doesn't work?
isak
yes. seriously, i just don't get it
isak
what are the exact preferences that needs to be in cubase?

what channels i need to open..?
midi..? group..? surround..? audio..?
please guide me like a small boy, step by step, maybe i'm doing something wrong..
os
I think you have Cubase set up correctly now.

If I understand you, you have a lead coming out of your FF400 which has a voltage on it that varies when you turn the knob on the Silent Way DC plug-in, from 0V to around 2V.

If plugging that lead into your synth doesn't do anything, you have a hardware problem.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2