MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Minitaur sequencing issues...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Minitaur sequencing issues...
Euro Trash Bazooka
Hi!

It seems I have issues when it comes to pitch and gate controls of my Moog Minitaur with my SQ1 and Keystep. Reading manuals or threads on various messageboards and watching Youtube videos didn't help nor made much sense to me.

The Minitaur gives the same pitch whatever the settings when sequenced by the SQ1, whether I use cv controls (A or B channels) or midi with the tiny plug that came with the sequencer. Gate doesn't seem to change much either but that might be me...

The same thing happens when I use my Keystep's cv controls. I can use the midi from the Keystep to control it, though. It's the only way I have to control it. Cv controls just give the same pitch on the Minitaur.

I should mention that the SQ1 channels work fine because I can control my MS20 Mini very well with them. Cables being defective as an answer to my problems has been ruled out as well since my MS20 responds to whatever signals sent through them.

I think there must be something my semi n00b self doesn't catch somewhere along the way and considering how much of an intense source of knowledge the board has been thanks to everyone, I hope I'll find a way to solve that issue, and maybe even to like my Keystep a bit (I really dislike using it. I can't make the arpeggiator work and sequencing anything with it turns into a proper chore. But that's another issue for another thread, maybe...)

Thanks a billion in advance for your help.
hamildad
I have none of these, but here are a few ideas to get you started, maybe a more experienced wiggler will chime in...

MS20 uses the korg Hz/Oct while the minitaur will use V/Oct? Are you changing the CV setting when moving between them.

gate sometimes doesn't work when the envelope is not allowed to close when gate length is 100%, so maybe reducing gate length to 20% should get a full cycle of the envelope... that often catches me out.
Euro Trash Bazooka
Thank you for your reply.

I know about the CV settings differences and set the SQ1 in way that takes them into account when trying to use it on the Minitaur.

Gate works fine on the MS20 as well...

Mmmhh confused
charbot
Have you tried running the CV calibration on the minitaur? I forget the details, but I remember having to do it to mine before I could get any sensible CV function
Samaepstein
One thing I remember from the Minotaur when controlling it via CV was that I had to set the root note at Middle c With a midi controller for it to track properly. It may be that your midi note is set very high resulting in the synth only playing the highest note it is capable of playing?
neuroportal
VC control with the Minitaur is a little fiddley to setup. If you run the calibration routine on the Minitaur from the software for it via usb, then use it, it should stay in sync v/oct wise *until you turn it off* then it goes out again. I ended up with a custom firmware supplied from the UK authorised fixerupper that seemed to stop this behaviour. Apparently it has something to do with using relative voltage or something. I can't remember, it was a couple of years ago.

I'll try and dig it out, but be warned that there may be updates since then.

Things to ensure:

You have latest firmware installed for your model.

You have the latest software for running the calibration routine/updating on your computer.
Euro Trash Bazooka
Thanks again for your useful answers.

I'm going to try calibrating it again. I'm not sure how to do it. Tried it once and I think it failed but the explanations don't make much sense to me and I can't find any proper Youtube video showing how to do it...

I'll try it again anyway and will report back.

And I should be up to date with the latest firmware, yes.

Thanks again for your time.
Euro Trash Bazooka
I tried again.

Nothing happens when I calibrate everything from the editor, no sound, no light, nothing. I click and nothing happens. And I still get the same high pitch note as before if I try to play a sequence from the SQ1.

very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating
neuroportal
Leave the sq 1 out of the equation for now.

Use the Beatstep and get that CV working first.

If you aren't getting the CV to calibrate from the editor, then something is amiss. You say 'nothing happens', you should get some indication - pressing note calibration start - does this not end up with any sound being produced on the Minitaur?
DMR
If the Minitaur is playing the same note from the SQ-1 over MIDI, it sounds like you might be sending notes too high for the Minitaur to play? Any MIDI message above the Minitaur's range will cause it to play the highest note it can. Maybe not the issue, but perhaps try putting the SQ-1 to the lowest octave.
neuroportal
DMR wrote:
If the Minitaur is playing the same note from the SQ-1 over MIDI, it sounds like you might be sending notes too high for the Minitaur to play? Any MIDI message above the Minitaur's range will cause it to play the highest note it can. Maybe not the issue, but perhaps try putting the SQ-1 to the lowest octave.

SQ-1 can't change the octave. You just turn the knob.

What is being described does happen when trying to use CV with the Minitaur, but you can get it to work.
Euro Trash Bazooka
neuroportal wrote:
Leave the sq 1 out of the equation for now.

Use the Beatstep and get that CV working first.

If you aren't getting the CV to calibrate from the editor, then something is amiss. You say 'nothing happens', you should get some indication - pressing note calibration start - does this not end up with any sound being produced on the Minitaur?

I can't get the CV to work on the Keystep either and no, I don't get any note from the Minitaur once I click on "note calibration start." Actually, I was wondering whether it is normal that none of the choices in the editor (you know, the five possibilities in the calibration menu) appear in black, more like they were "unticked", as if the computer wouldn't detect the Minitaur (my cables are fine though, again.)

I love the way the Minitaur sounds but these issues pretty much make me want to sell it.
protobaby
same or similar problems here when i connect minitaur with my qunexus ....pitch doesnt change ...tried more of the things explained on forums
Mind Flayer
This probably won’t solve your problem, but are you playing notes within the minitaur’s range? It has a limited octave range, so if you are playing notes above that range it will just play the same (highest) note.
calaveras
I have a Taurus III and I think the Minitaur is related.
IIRC there is a setting in the global menu to manage the CV inputs. By default they are at zero. To get the filter or osc to respond to CV I had to crank these up to a decent number. It took me a while to get it to track with my modular but I achieve it once.
I mostly just use the internal ARP and note latching then sync via MIDI.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1