MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best ways to add variation to CV source? And best modules?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Best ways to add variation to CV source? And best modules?
Karabekian
I'm sorry if this has been posted before... I did some searching, but wasn't able to find much.

I'd like to create lots of different variations from the same CV source.

For example - Taking 32 bar LFO from PAMs and sending it to a multi I know that I could:[/list]

use an offset
    invert the polarity
    mix it with another cv input

I wondering how many other ways I can alter this CV, and what some of the best modules are for doing this. Obviously, Maths will do this but I'd like to free that up for other things.

I'd also like to pitch CV up an octave, to create counter melodies.
cptnal
I think you just asked everyone to explain modular. hihi

For a start, how about sending your CV through something that's "designed" for audio - a filter, wavefolder, ringmod, etc., etc....
MarcelP
Tend to agree with the above from cptnal. I would say I sometimes find too much LFO leads to a sort of “queasy swooshing” that can get irritating. One nice thing is to put the LFO through a s&h to get a stepped CV - then changing the sample rate in (or out of) sync with the LFO (and using a related/divided clock to re-sync the LFO. Makes for something more akin to a sequencer and feels quite different to a “straight” LFO.
Robscorch
Vcas and cvs just do it. MY ASS IS BLEEDING Game changer for many folks.
huffnPuff
Toppbrillo TWF

[/Thread]
Dave Peck
1. Modulate your modulators - use LFOs with rate CV, and send your CV sources through VCAs that are being modulated by other CV sources. This adds variation to both the frequency and the amplitude of the CV.

2. Mix your modulators - combine multiple CV sources in mixers before patching them to their destinations. This idea is what makes the Arp 2600 such a classic and versatile synth. It really only has a small collection of modules, but many of them have built-in CV mixers which greatly expands the options.

3. Someone else mentioned wavefolders. Yup, a GREAT way to mangle CV signals. And of course, modulate the fold amount with another CV source.
andybizarre
I agree! what all the others said.

Karabekian wrote:

use an offset
    invert the polarity
    mix it with another cv input

A matrix mixer like the A-138m is great for all this and much more.

Quote:

I'd also like to pitch CV up an octave, to create counter melodies.

Have a look at precision adders. A-185-2 or Beast`s Chalkboard are obvious choices. For weird CV and melody modulations, Doepfers A-189 and A-196 are good ones.

Quote:
For a start, how about sending your CV through something that's "designed" for audio - a filter, wavefolder, ringmod, etc., etc....

Just make sure your folder or ringmod is DC-coupled. This is very often stated in the manual.
Finally, if you already own a few CV sources, think about getting a sequential switch, they are so useful to combine or split all kinds of signals.
Ceres
Look at doepfer utility modules for ideas. Max/min is a great way to combine 2 cv sources to create something new. Slewing cv can be a lot of fun and there are lots of uses.
Karabekian
Some really excellent ideas here. Thanks so much for your contributions.
moremagic
huffnPuff wrote:
Toppbrillo TWF

[/Thread]
oh wait, theres that buchla modulemodule thing so yeah, this. every thread.
asleeper
CV mixing is incredibly powerful, especially when combined with random sources and/or feedback. Mix two non-random sources with a random one, then use the mixed output to modulate attributes of the inputs.
ZLAL
4MS VCA Matrix and Intellijel Planar both help in creating usable CV that minimizes repetition and can be attenuated and directed to different inputs. I like patching slow square LFOs or gates through attenuators and using the resulting CVs to differentiate between "parts" of a track. At 64/128/+ steps this can contribute to a "verse chorus verse" sort of structure but, obviously, can be as unconventional as one desires.
Armstrb
Worng Vector Space is great at mixing 3 CVs to make 17 related ones.
luketeaford
Some other things I haven't seen explicitly mentioned yet:

sample and hold/track and hold.

inversion

rectification/logic (max and min modules are cool as well as the way Maths OR works)

Switches allow you to change sources or destinations of CVs.

Comparators allow you to derive signals based on other signals.

Use an addressable sequencer to re-map CV.

Use a quantizer for something other than pitch.

Feedback a signal to change its shape.
Rex Coil 7
A 4ch VCA/Mixer can be a POTENT tool for CV confusion. The $200.00 Doepfer A-135-1 module is precisely ~that~. Four VCAs with both individual outputs and a summed output. As someone else already pointed out, the Doepfer Matrix Mixer is STUPID HANDY for creating feedback loops, as well as inverting signals.

Buck ninety nine.

Replace the jumper links with toggle switches and you gotcherself one hellacious CV signal mixer thingy.

Thing is, you use modulation signals to modulate the VCA mixer, which is including and excluding CV signals by using other CV signals to do so.

Yea yea yea ... I know ... "but Doepfer stuff is boring and for old people" ... really then!? .... well ....

lol

A.N.Y. voltage controlled amplifier mixer will do this. If you have 4 MATHS, you've got yourself one psycho bad ass CV mixer/CV source ensemble.

cool Uh huh.
cptnal
we're not worthy

(Aside: I thought the appropriate usage was "yo mamma". Maybe a regional variation. hmmm..... )
captjrab
Euclidian mode, Turing Machine, Quadraturia and Low Rents in O&C work pretty good (great) for this.
peripatitis
Besides all the other useful suggestions, I like to pass them through PTG and either trigger the vactrols. Many fun things happen there smile
Rex Coil 7
cptnal wrote:
we're not worthy

(Aside: I thought the appropriate usage was "yo mamma". Maybe a regional variation. hmmm..... )
lol

It is, but I am fearful of the politics police coming at me for any number of horrible things I say meh

And I certainly wouldn't want to cross any "cultural appropriation" lines. meh

It's (as you say) a regional colloquialism thing. Yo mamma ... Joe Mamma ... Yer Mom ... any of it's variations convey the same sentiment. Like that one TV commercial depicting Sir Lancelot at what appears to be a joust and some heckler calls out a few snips at him ....

"Hey, Sir Lose-alot... Thou hast the patchy beard of a prepubescent squire" (er something ... on and on). The heckler ends his verbal ribbing with "YER MOM!" ... (that some funny shite).

AH! I actually found the silly thing! .....

lol lol lol
cptnal
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
cptnal wrote:
we're not worthy

lol

It is, but I am fearful of the politics police coming at me for any number of horrible things I say meh

And I certainly wouldn't want to cross any "cultural appropriation" lines. meh

It's (as you say) a regional colloquialism thing. Yo mamma ... Joe Mamma ... Yer Mom ... any of it's variations convey the same sentiment. Like that one TV commercial depicting Sir Lancelot at what appears to be a joust and some heckler calls out a few snips at him ....

"Hey, Sir Lose-alot... Thou hast the patchy beard of a prepubescent squire" (er something ... on and on). The heckler ends his verbal ribbing with "YER MOM!" ... (that some funny shite).

AH! I actually found the silly thing! .....

lol lol lol

Almost as good as your toggle-mod. thumbs up
photosofectoplasm
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
A 4ch VCA/Mixer can be a POTENT tool for CV confusion. The $200.00 Doepfer A-135-1 module is precisely ~that~. Four VCAs with both individual outputs and a summed output. As someone else already pointed out, the Doepfer Matrix Mixer is STUPID HANDY for creating feedback loops, as well as inverting signals.

Buck ninety nine.

Replace the jumper links with toggle switches and you gotcherself one hellacious CV signal mixer thingy.

Thing is, you use modulation signals to modulate the VCA mixer, which is including and excluding CV signals by using other CV signals to do so.

Yea yea yea ... I know ... "but Doepfer stuff is boring and for old people" ... really then!? .... well ....

lol

A.N.Y. voltage controlled amplifier mixer will do this. If you have 4 MATHS, you've got yourself one psycho bad ass CV mixer/CV source ensemble.

cool Uh huh.

can you give me an example for the A135-1 please
Rex Coil 7
photosofectoplasm wrote:
...can you give me an example for the A135-1 please
Um ... (squints) what?

Sorry man, your question is vague. I don't know what you mean by "an example for the A-135-1".

seriously, i just don't get it

An example "for" what?

(I've unsubscribed from this thread - I'm not upset, just trying to keep my number of subscribed threads under better control - if you wish to correspond please feel free to send me a PM, I'll be happy to hear from you - thanks!)
Multi Grooves
Not read the replies (apols if alreadyccovered) but trying to get more mileage from cv, you could split it and add a slew limiter to one version.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1