MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

FH-2 Power/devices questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author FH-2 Power/devices questions
kiki_90291
I was reading the FH-2 manual about power draw from USB devices. If you have a powered USB hub between the FH-2 and the devices (I will be using Beatstep Pro, Keystep and a Roland A-01), will that work or does each device need to be powered on it's own? (Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm having fits with USB power issues right now :-) )
os
If you use a powered hub, then the devices should draw their power from that, not from the FH-2.

I don't know off hand whether those three devices are bus powered, or what their power requirements are.
kiki_90291
Thanks!

They are all bus powered - the Keystep and A-01 have a pretty low draw. But the Beatstep has a pretty high draw - it's the source of my USB power issues at the moment. For some reason, it crashes my iPad when plugged in through a USB hub, but not directly, for some reason (even when you are providing a separate power source for the Beatstep). Very annoying.
auxren
Is it going to be possible to connect an iOS device directly to the FH-2?
os
Via the Camera Connection Kit.
auxren
Via the USB-C?
os
Yes.
auxren
Can you link to the adapter? I can’t find it.
os
<googles apple camera connection kit>

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MK0W2ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-cam era-adapter
auxren
That one doesn’t have USB-C. It has a female lightning port for charging.

So just a USB-C to USB-A cable into a regular USB-A to lightning camera connection kit should work.
os
Yes, that works fine.
midilifestyle
Hardest working man in eurorack! Were you able to get any word from Teenage Engineering about compatibility with the Op-1 or Op-z and the Fh1 or Fh2?

Oh to be able to use those sequencers with my modular would be Bananallama!
os
They should all be compatible. There was something up with the OP-1 receiving MIDI clock from the FH-1 but they were looking at it.

If you just want to sequence from the OPs there are no problems I know about.
midilifestyle
Excellent, thanks!
midilifestyle
So to double clarify, now that my FH2 arrived today and I have to go get some sort of dongle:
I cannot use a usb c to lightning cable and plug my iphone directly into the fh2, eg https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MKQ42AM/A/usb-c-to-lightning-cable- 2-m

Correct?

Also, I hope your holiday was excellent, Os!
os
I'm 99% sure that won't work, though I'll confess to not having tried it. You want what used to be called the Camera Connection Kit - a Lightning to USB A socket converter. Ideally the one with the pass-through for charging.
Videographics
I have a MIDI Expression Quattro from Audiofront. It's a class-compliant USB MIDI device, but it isn't working with my FH-2 with 1.4 firmware. It apparently only draws 35 mA. Any thoughts?

https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php
os
I have the original MIDI Expression, which appears to be recognised by the FH-2. When you say it's not working, do you mean it's not being recognised as a device, or you're not getting any messages from it?
Videographics
It's not recognized. I'm using a direct connection, tried different cables, etc. My FH-2 still acts as if the MIDI Expression isn't even there. My MIDI Expression is less than a year old and it's always worked fine connected to a hub on my Mac. It also connects properly to my iOS devices when I configure it. Just no FH-2 action.
os
I'll have to see if I can get hold of one and debug.

It might help if you could run a USB Prober (e.g. https://touch-base.com/documentation/USBMacProber.htm) on your Mac and capture the USB device descriptors.
Videographics
I'm just realizing this may be a firmware issue. (I've been lazy about this as AudioFront's firmware update process is anything but straightforward.) I'll try updating and report back. Meanwhile...

Apple's System Information utility reports this:

MIDI Expression BLUE:

Product ID: 0x0471
Vendor ID: 0x16c0
Version: 2.00
Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Audiofront
Location ID: 0x14100000 / 29
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 100
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Is this helpful?
Videographics
Hold tight. I’m working through this with Audiofront. This situation may require a ‘pared down driver’ that currently isn’t installing for me.
Videographics
Support from both Audiofront and Expert Sleepers has been excellent! The pared down driver is working for me. I was having problems installing the pared down driver with their latest software release but they quickly turned around a pre-release version that worked perfectly for me.
slown
I have the little Elektron TM-1 MIDI USB interface, do you know if it works with the FH-2 ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1