MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Any Trigger/Gate Sequencer with Trigger/Gate Input?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Any Trigger/Gate Sequencer with Trigger/Gate Input?
CFenning
Hey MW,

I am looking for a Trigger/Gate looper or a sequencer that has trig/gate input so I can "play in" sequences. Basically I want to "write" steps to a track via trigger input.

Possible? Only option I found seemed to be Bishop's Miscellany.
milkshake
Any sequencer with a clock input can be used for this.
R.U.Nuts
Shakmat Modular Bishop's Miscellany. Records, loops and mangles two trigger channels and two CV channels.
CFenning
milkshake wrote:

How can I write a rhythm/gate sequence via clock input? I will need some sort of trigger or gate input to get the CV from my external trigger (via Bastl Kong)
CFenning
R.U.Nuts wrote:
Shakmat Modular Bishop's Miscellany. Records, loops and mangles two trigger channels and two CV channels.

Thanks! That's all I could really find that would let me accomplish this - I'm trying to "play in" percussion sequences live on the fly.

Hoping to go play with one at Analogue Haven this afternoon. I wish it was gate-only but I can probably do some cool stuff by feeding a sequence into the 1v/octave input and using some switching to mix it back in as a mod source.
R.U.Nuts
CFenning wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:

Thanks! That's all I could really find that would let me accomplish this - I'm trying to "play in" percussion sequences live on the fly.

Hoping to go play with one at Analogue Haven this afternoon. I wish it was gate-only but I can probably do some cool stuff by feeding a sequence into the 1v/octave input and using some switching to mix it back in as a mod source.

Well, you asked for gate inputs that get recorded and looped. Seems like you are more looking for something with buttons you can hammer on and the rythm you hammered will be recorded as a gate sequence. Shakmat also has a tool for that: It's called Four Bricks Rook. Also Shakmat's Knight's Gallop can record button presses in one of it's modes but it's not especially geared to that task like the FBR. and then there are the Lightstrip and Lightplane by Soundmachines. But these two run off internal clocks only and can't be synced like the Shakmat modules.
R.U.Nuts
CFenning wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:

Also: Nothing stops you from plugging gates into the CV channels of the Bishop's Miscellany. So theoretically you could have four gate/trigger channels (CV- and trigger channels would behave a little different though). You'd only need four manual gate generators to plug them into the BM.
I have both Bishop's Miscellany and Knight's Gallop and they're both awesome.
Drakhe
Probably not much help as the module is discontinued, but if you can score a secondhand Qu-Bit Tri-Ger, it allows 3 channel recording of gate's via 3 arcade style buttons. Exactly what you need for three part drum/perc loops on the fly
CFenning
R.U.Nuts wrote:
CFenning wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:

Well, you asked for gate inputs that get recorded and looped. Seems like you are more looking for something with buttons you can hammer on and the rythm you hammered will be recorded as a gate sequence. Shakmat also has a tool for that: It's called Four Bricks Rook. Also Shakmat's Knight's Gallop can record button presses in one of it's modes but it's not especially geared to that task like the FBR. and then there are the Lightstrip and Lightplane by Soundmachines. But these two run off internal clocks only and can't be synced like the Shakmat modules.

Thanks. I don't want button presses though - i literally want to record CV Triggers coming into the module like the Bishop's does. I have some Simmons Pads that I have hooked up to a Bastl Kong that I would love to use to play in rhythmic patterns that I can loop for percussion tracks.
CFenning
R.U.Nuts wrote:
CFenning wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:

Also: Nothing stops you from plugging gates into the CV channels of the Bishop's Miscellany. So theoretically you could have four gate/trigger channels (CV- and trigger channels would behave a little different though). You'd only need four manual gate generators to plug them into the BM.

Oh shit I never thought of that. we're not worthy

I can use all 4 inputs and just have to remember the CV inputs will act a little funky. Probably great for something like playing some of the Noise Engineering modules where I don't need precision.
CFenning
Drakhe wrote:
Probably not much help as the module is discontinued, but if you can score a secondhand Qu-Bit Tri-Ger, it allows 3 channel recording of gate's via 3 arcade style buttons. Exactly what you need for three part drum/perc loops on the fly

This would be perfect if I could trigger those buttons via external CV.
R.U.Nuts
CFenning wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:
CFenning wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:

Oh shit I never thought of that. we're not worthy

I can use all 4 inputs and just have to remember the CV inputs will act a little funky. Probably great for something like playing some of the Noise Engineering modules where I don't need precision.

It's not about precision: You need to be precise all the time because the Bishop's is a stepped CV recorder. This means it'll record a high gate only if it's high right at the moment a clock trigger is present at the clock input. -Just like a sample and hold with memory. If the triggers from your drum pads are very short it'll require a lot of precision. So it might help to have adjustable trigger lenghts. The difference between the CV and the gate channels is that the CV channels will basically put out a gate for as long as a clock cycle lasts. A lot of adjacent triggers will very likely result in just one tied long high gate. The gate channels can output short triggers of a fixed lenght when in cut mode.
pulse_divider
Why not just record them as audio and run through a comparator?
milkshake
CFenning wrote:
milkshake wrote:

How can I write a rhythm/gate sequence via clock input? I will need some sort of trigger or gate input to get the CV from my external trigger (via Bastl Kong)

Instead of using a steady clock signal, you can use another sequencer's trigger output to advance the sequencer. Together with resetting the sequencers, this method creates complex sequences fast and intuitively.
R.U.Nuts
pulse_divider wrote:

Good idea. Phonogene can be had for cheap used and Morphagene even has a built in envelope follower. However they'll be harder to sync to the rest pf a setup. 4MS DLD is good in this regard. Anyway: If you use both hands for drumming I'd also reccomend a Doepfer A-177. You could use this for any recorder to engage recording with a foot pedal.
CFenning
pulse_divider wrote:

Thought about it. Seems like I would like to buy a bunch of modules to accomplish the same goal as Bishop's Miscellany. I am trying to stay away from a computer so I would need to buy another recorder/looper + comparator.
ZLAL
New firmware for the Koma Komplex has a pretty powerful CV recorder. Obviously a lot of $$ for what you are trying to do, but if this is a big part of your workflow...

Also - quite a bit of functionality on top of it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1