MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sound design : Snoring?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Sound design : Snoring?
Moskowitz
Pretty simple concept but difficult to get right. It is a set of complex evolving sounds.

I want to create the 2 classic cartoon snoring sounds, the rattling in-breath and the whistling exhale. It would be nice if they could be modulated on each recurrence so they don't just repeat like samples from an old cartoon. The exhale whistle is coming along but the breathing in part is quite difficult.

Any thoughts from you master synthesists would be greatly appreciated.
wavecircle
Interesting,

I would start with white noise and emphasise the nasal frequencies at around 800Hz, then some reasonably quick, squarish modulation of amplitude in that frequency band. You might also want to add a slowly rising filter but not too severe to simulate the breathing cycle.

I am literally sitting here making snorting sounds and thinking about the physics of it, just so you know. It's pretty complicated due to the variation of the snores.
Moskowitz
wavecircle wrote:
Interesting,

I would start with white noise and emphasise the nasal frequencies at around 800Hz, then some reasonably quick, squarish modulation of amplitude in that frequency band. You might also want to add a slowly rising filter but not too severe to simulate the breathing cycle.

I am literally sitting here making snorting sounds and thinking about the physics of it, just so you know. It's pretty complicated due to the variation of the snores.

Thank you for taking the time to ponder this interesting challenge. You suggestions are helpful and I am doing better, but I am afraid I am still not doing too well - this is a hard one.
Navs
For the snoring, or other human tract, sounds, I've got close with a Cwejman RES-4 quad resonator or Nord Modular Vocal Filter, but any LP or BP should work. For the input source, maybe some dull noise or pre-filtered waveforms. I guess you want rumble that you can shape.

For the amplitude, a DSG-like slope generator is good: the rise portion is your 'snore' amplitude and the fall your 'pheeeuw'. Use the End of Rise pulse to switch between two sounds in a sequential switch, e.g. your noisy inhale and exhale whistle. For the latter, you could use a sinewave and mult the amplitude envelope to the pitch to get a descending tone. Dirty the sine by FM-ing it with some more noise.

To provide variation, use a comparator or the envelope's End Out to trigger a random source or S&H fed with some more noise and use that CV to modulate the envelope level and overall duration.

Then all you need is some coughs and splutters and a sampler module to fire off the sound of someone shouting "stop snoring!" angry hihi
Moskowitz
Navs wrote:
For the snoring, or other human tract, sounds, I've got close with a Cwejman RES-4 quad resonator or Nord Modular Vocal Filter, but any LP or BP should work. For the input source, maybe some dull noise or pre-filtered waveforms. I guess you want rumble that you can shape.

For the amplitude, a DSG-like slope generator is good: the rise portion is your 'snore' amplitude and the fall your 'pheeeuw'. Use the End of Rise pulse to switch between two sounds in a sequential switch, e.g. your noisy inhale and exhale whistle. For the latter, you could use a sinewave and mult the amplitude envelope to the pitch to get a descending tone. Dirty the sine by FM-ing it with some more noise.

To provide variation, use a comparator or the envelope's End Out to trigger a random source or S&H fed with some more noise and use that CV to modulate the envelope level and overall duration.

Then all you need is some coughs and splutters and a sampler module to fire off the sound of someone shouting "stop snoring!" angry hihi

Thank you for this very thoughtful and detailed advice. I will try to put it to use in my project.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1