MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Waldorf Kyra FPGA Synth: 128 voices, 10 Osc/voice!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Waldorf Kyra FPGA Synth: 128 voices, 10 Osc/voice!
RickKleffel
FPGA Madness

Impressive Specs...

https://musewire.com/waldorf-teases-new-kyra-fpga-virtual-analog-synth -keyboard-as-production-version-of-exodus-digital-valkyrie/

NAMM 2019 priced at €1899

Teaser

Ancestor, apparently

More bitchin' stuff we have w a i t f o r
SunSpots
Yes... After this years load of modules, I would love to own something this powerful IF they do it right. It's kinda like a Virus FINAL FORM super hero.

SO it says teaser... is that a video? I can't find a video?

With something like this you can have MANY HUGE sounds all being played at the same time, sequenced by your favorite sequencer... like a whole band in a box if you wanted to run it that way.

I guess directly competing with the computer, so their UI better be damn fun.
mha
SonicState did a 30 minute video on it at Musik Messe this year:

Funky40
screw it, watched the video.....
Ranxerox
I'm confused... This seems to be about two different synths - the Exodus Valkyrie and Waldorf Kyra... are these the same synth? hmmm.....
Dave Peck
Ranxerox wrote:
I'm confused... This seems to be about two different synths - the Exodus Valkyrie and Waldorf Kyra... are these the same synth? hmmm.....

From the article: " The new platform is being jointly developed with Manuel Caballero of Exodus Digital, who demonstrated his “Valkyrie” synth concept at Musicmesse. Manuel also recently announced that “The Exodus Team would like to announce that Valkyrie is now a Waldorf Music product and will be released as the Waldorf Kyra.” "

Which sounds more promising to me than a tiny unknown start-up trying to introduce a complex expensive specialty synth all on their own as their first big product.
Panason
Quote:
Few companies can match their track record of innovation and delivery spanning several decades.

yep, Waldorf are pretty damn good. This is excellent news. I can see this replacing several synths in many studios, maybe even mine!
onthelees
This has promise if Waldorf stays out of the way and let this guy do his thing. In the Sonic State video he says it's basically done, so hopefully we will get pretty much what's in the video.
nuromantix
Looks amazing, did anyone notice how many outputs there are on the back?
Sir Ruff
aside from the massive oscillator count and the technology used (which is very cool), this didn't seem to be a particularly novel VA. Does it even have wavetable modulation? I guess Waldorf could add that. Not clear what else makes this stand out from a sonic perspective though.
Dave Peck
Sir Ruff wrote:
aside from the massive oscillator count and the technology used (which is very cool), this didn't seem to be a particularly novel VA. Does it even have wavetable modulation? I guess Waldorf could add that. Not clear what else makes this stand out from a sonic perspective though.

I was thinking the same. The balance of polyphony versus voice architecture complexity and versatility doesn't seem to be making the best use of the available resources. It would be far more useful with less polyphony/fewer oscs and far more voice complexity/versatility.

The big challenge with implementing that on a hardware synth is how to create a set of meaningful front panel controls if the voice architecture changes completely from one patch to the next.... So far, I haven't seen anything tackle this issue better than a Nord Modular / G2. we're not worthy but that thing was released twenty years ago - surely somebody should be able to improve on that by now....?
seychmar
Looks like the Kyra is available.
seychmar
The webpage:

https://www.waldorfmusic.com/en/kyra

Doesn’t seem to offer much more than a Virus TI, apart from the very high polyphony.
tehyar
Geesh, that was sudden.
RickKleffel
This looks pretty nice. Yet another fine addition to the Digital Renaissance we seem to be experiencing. Kudos to Waldorf for starting out with a very nicely designed desktop, and including digital delivery of sounds from the get-go. Hopefully, by the time they shake out all the first-release details, I'll have the scratch to pick this up. The Virus TI polar has for nearly [x] years been irreplaceable in my kit. The sounds plus interface seem unbeatable. But it's a keyboard, and say, this plus the ASM deal offers lots more.

It's a hell of a good time to be a synthesist. From Moog One to the Quantum to this deal, to Maander, etc, there is a feast of fantastic choices to fit all tastes and even budgets.

Now all we need to see is a similar level of innovation in the world of samplers, and whatever the heck Social Entropy is cooking asa follow-up to the Engine. 1010 Music may step up vis a vis the former, but Blackbox is lacking some stuff for my particular and admittedly peculiar inclinations.

Nonetheless, this looks to be both inspiring and practically useful. Obviously we will want to see and hear more, and I'm certain that will come to pass.
rowsbywoof
Weird. I would expect this to be hyped up before release, not silently dropped into stores. Maybe it's been at the last few shows, but wasn't really covered much? Either way, cool this is seeing the light of day. With so little we've heard on it I figured it was stuck in Development Hell. If someone here gets one, I'd love to hear how you get on with it.

Edit: Just checked Sweetwater and hooo-boy, $2,300 is more than I thought this was going to release at. Not saying it isn't going to be worth it, but that puts it in some very competitive waters.
sizone
Finally time to sell the MicrowaveXT and the JX3p.

I have been looking forward to being able to use one synth to make music.
tehyar
Manual is up on the website. Some really interesting stuff going on in there. Dual mode, dual filter mode, and layering, while each osc is actually a group, really makes for some wide possibilities.
Angroc
Awesome specs, but last time I heard a demo, I really didn't feel that convinced. Any new demos up? The Waldorf site has like everything but sound demos. seriously, i just don't get it Also, would love to see a rackmounting kit!
Panason
I think this might flop at that price.
tehyar
Yea the demo has some pretty bland sounds considering the complexity of this thing. I'm looking forward to seeing what else it can do when I get it tomorrow. Mr. Green
Angroc
Nice! Please post some demos pretty please!
sizone
tehyar wrote:
Yea the demo has some pretty bland sounds considering the complexity of this thing. I'm looking forward to seeing what else it can do when I get it tomorrow. Mr. Green

If it's not too much trouble, an exploration of how wavetabley the wavetable system is would be much appreciated. It has the Waldorf name on it and it's digital as all hell. If it can't pump out some garbled robot talk, I'm going to be a little heartbroken.
peripatitis
I might be wrong but I was under the impression it was going to be a lot cheaper, well at least before Waldorf got in the picture...
nectarios

This is the newest demo I've heard and its nothing new and/or exciting...will wait for more demos.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2