MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best modulation bang for the buck
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Best modulation bang for the buck
georgehruiz
I need a modulation module for my "overflow case" that will provide an efficient source of modulated CV, EG and/or LFO for my filter and vco. Price is more a consideration than HP as I have 40Hp to play with. What would you say is the best modulation bang for the buck?
BonJoey
Batumi or Just Friends
georgehruiz
The Batumi is tempting and I don't have one, but US $330 seems high when there could be other, less pricey options. Still, it is a sexy beast.
desolationjones
Strap a Teletype to that Just Friends and you've got yourself a rich modulation stew.

But if $330 is pricey for you, might I recommend the humble Maths? It's usually about $250 used.
sasbom
Maths' great for modulation, and it is even better 2nd hand,
at least, if you know that the previous owner couldn't wrap his/her
head around it but you could.

revel in percieved superiority!!11!1
electricfence
WMD/SSF Modbox has a lot to offer for only $200.
grep
Pam’s. $47.25 per output. $34.38 in ‘merican dollars.
FrogStar
Not a fanboy by any means but I have to say MI Stages. It totally replaced my Batumi. And nearly replaces quadra.
Hovercraft
Pam’s is a powerful cv generator at 8 channels in 8hp. Agree with Stages, too—have one on order.
Jasonic
Abstract Data Octocontroller is really fun and great mod source. It took me a couple hrs to learn it, then it just seemed like I always had it. Not sure what I would do without it now.
placebo92
Thinking of getting rid of my batumi as well now that I have Stages. Pam's, Triple Sloth and Stages is the modulation dream team IMO we're not worthy
Aja
I wouldn’t call Batumi a good value, exactly. It’s actually really expensive. But having synced LFOs with a rhythmic offset is great. Can the Stages LFOs be synced/divided in the same way? I know PNW can, but you don’t get the same hands-on control.
mskala
grep wrote:

Ca$33.75 (which is about US$26) per output for the North Coast Synthesis Fixed Sine Bank...
georgehruiz
I own Stages and absolutely love it but it’s even pricier than a Batumi. Because it’s so adaptable, Stages is in almost every patch I do these days. Maths I also love, but despite its lower cost, it’s still a little overkill on HP size and functionality.

Any recommendations on Doepfer modules or the ALM Pip Slope?

Maybe, I’m just looking to be talked into a Batumi?
georgehruiz
electricfence wrote:
WMD/SSF Modbox has a lot to offer for only $200.

I will definitely check out the Modbox. Thanks!
moremagic
mskala wrote:
grep wrote:

Ca$33.75 (which is about US$26) per output for the North Coast Synthesis Fixed Sine Bank...
a fixed sine bank seems a likited modulation source
nectarios
georgehruiz wrote:
I own Stages and absolutely love it but it’s even pricier than a Batumi.

I went looking after I read your post and realized Batumi prices have gone down. I'll wait a couple of years before buying XAOC stuff again.

Batumi is great, love mine but best bang for the buck CV (and hp) is for me (u)O+C.
Midiot
....a 4MS PEG would get you 2 Env Generators and/or LFO's, plus it has clocked multiplications and divisions, and tap-tempo per channel.
I don't have Maths, but it's prob a great choice too.
...as is Pamela's New Workout or Ornaments In Crime (but menus).
cptnal
I'll throw my hat in the Pam's pile. It's not my go-to for modulation as such because I have other options in a larger case, but in terms of bang-for-buck in a small case it's a winner. I tend to use it for clockier stuff, but it's not limited to that (slop, random skip...).
lisa
BonJoey wrote:
Just Friends

And best car bang for the buck? Ferrari 488. hihi
c_code
Pam's and Batumi thumbs up
danishchairs
MI Tides is a great modulator. Not the cheapest perhaps, but in contention for “best,” depending on the circumstances.
starthief
Pam's is utterly dependent on a master clock. You can't just fire off arbitrary envelopes with it or have unsynced LFOs. I had one briefly and it really wasn't what I needed at all.

Stages is pretty great; not "cheap" but cost-effective given how much, and how many kinds, of modulation it produces.
zengomi
starthief wrote:
Pam's is utterly dependent on a master clock. You can't just fire off arbitrary envelopes with it or have unsynced LFOs. I had one briefly and it really wasn't what I needed at all.

Stages is pretty great; not "cheap" but cost-effective given how much, and how many kinds, of modulation it produces.

Master clock, or just plain clocked, functionality is a major consideration/function in modular patching. Any module that facilitates that is brilliant. PAM's, as many wigglers have attested, is up there at the pinnacle of state of the art.

Stages, which I acquired this week, is great for basic modulation. But it in no way can upstage PAM's.
mskala
moremagic wrote:
mskala wrote:
grep wrote:

a fixed sine bank seems a likited modulation source

So buy a Pamela's Workout. You can't have every feature in one module and also have it be the cheapest. Fortunately, there are choices for people with specific priorities.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3