MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Keeping cats off your modular
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Keeping cats off your modular
Yes Powder
Recently my cat has decided that he likes to walk across the base of my modular, which I am very much not cool with. He's not a small cat, either. Every time he does it, I'm afraid he's stepping on knobs— which while it might not instantly break up them off, I can only imagine is shortening the life of the pots by putting unnecessary stress on them.
I used to have a very large book against it to try and block him, which worked for a while but today he discovered that it needn't stop him.

Anyone else have this problem? What are some methods you've found successful in keeping your cat off?
arthurdent
Don't own a cat. Or use a .357
sandettie
You'll need to make a large, maybe 5U, decoy synth out of cardboard, and then sternly forbid your cat(s) to go on it.

It's the only way.
D_Robot
Let him do it.

Trust me, show him all the affection and love you can muster. Cats are more important than synths...
bwhittington
Try soaking your case in racoon pee.
VinceL
D_Robot wrote:
Let him do it.

Trust me, show him all the affection and love you can muster. Cats are more important than synths...

+1 on loving your cat.

Cats are what Muffs is all about Teh forumcats
My daughter left an old Ensoniq keyboard at our house. I leave it plugged in. Occasionally, one of our cats jumps on it, steps on the power button, and jams out! Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat.
slyfocks
Yes Powder wrote:
Every time he does it, I'm afraid he's stepping on knobs— which while it might not instantly break up them off, I can only imagine is shortening the life of the pots by putting unnecessary stress on them.

Even assuming he's a very large cat (15 lbs.), it almost certainly isn't. If anything he's doing you a favor by exposing which of your modules are shoddily assembled.

Have you tried putting a comfortable bed or other sleeping area near the modular? My cat gravitates towards anything comfy and circular.
zengomi
Keep the door closed. Works for me.
Artaos
Get a couple cans of PetSafe SSSCAT Spray with motion detector. My cat loves chewing through expensive stackables but now she hates those harmless sprays.
bwhittington
VinceL wrote:
My daughter left an old Ensoniq keyboard at our house. I leave it plugged in. Occasionally, one of our cats jumps on it, steps on the power button, and jams out! Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat.

Been there, dun that . . . it's even an Ensoniq.

luchog
Tell him that you expect at least a dozen preliminary tracks by the end of the week, and another 6-8 every week after that, with the expectation that you'll start to mix the final tracks within three months, and an album release targeted for a month later.

You won't have to worry about him touching the synth after that. He'll end up just sitting in a corner staring at it while drinking heavily and mumbling about deadlines.
luchog
mispost
witchbutter
With my cat all I had to was provide her with a comfy spot she liked better than where the instruments are. In the studio she has a special chair with her special blanket on it, so when I'm patching that's where she sits. I also have a spot for her on a bookshelf she likes.
cptnal
I've read that cats don't like orange peel. You could try rubbing some of that around your case. Sounds like a crock to me, and I've never tried it myself, but your situation sounds desperate. If it doesn't work you can always eat the orange. thumbs up
Robscorch
bwhittington wrote:
Try soaking your case in racoon pee.

Problem with that is that the cat will think a racoon is around and it will get all "stay on the alert mode" until the smell is dead.

Instead this is where you obviously have to assert dominance... your going to have to pee on the modular I'm afraid. seriously, i just don't get it

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Yes Powder
cptnal wrote:
orange peel

Gonna try this tonight and report back. I figure the worst that could happen is that my modular will smell like oranges.

witchbutter wrote:
comfy spot

I've been trying to do that, and I'm starting to think that part of the problem is that his previous comfy spot was right in the window, where my air-conditioner is now. Maybe if I can find a little stand that will go over the a/c unit, I can put a blanket on it and he'll be happy.

arthurdent wrote:
use a .357

f u
egg
cats like to sleep and wander higher places so you need to build place for him
it will get used to its new place in a short time
if it doesn work pull one of its ears ,show your modular and tell him not to do again lastly spank its ass softly till it says meow(enough)
mome rath
my cat is too fat to jump up on anything

so i guess you could make your cat too fat to jump up on anything
emojiseq
I want to get dust covers but im worried its just going to encourage the cats confused
VinceL
A couple of our cats loved to lay on my mixers (talk about uncomfortable with all those knobs sticking up d'oh! ). Then one of our cats hacked up a hairball on my Roland RD-300S. Fortunately, it was a rather dry hairball, and I was able to clean it (very little crud got down between the keys).

The next day I bought a bunch of heavy duty bath towels. All my keyboards and mixers have at least 2 layers of bath towel covering them. They don't discourage cats from laying on the equipment, but they keep the dust and cat fur off.
dooj88
toxoplasmosis has no place in my house... cats are mousers around my neck of the woods.

cat tree or keeping the door shut are probably best answers.
FetidEye
modulars are cat magnets!

last month one of my cats puked in my modular. while not so happy with that, I forgave her easily. I love my cats more.
They can walk & sleep on my stuff . The only thing that broke ever was a plastic piece of a ledslider. the module still works.
I've only had my new cat for a week and I've already found a really good solution for keeping the cat off of expensive studio gear in general. I have Ableton's Operator FM synth loaded on a track with MIDI in from an AKAI LPD8 wireless midi controller, which is within arms reach at all times.

Operator 2 modulates Operator 1 at a very high frequency, and the entire synth gets run through a limiter at maximum volume. The LPD8's pads are mapped to some notes, the knobs are mapped to the coarse control of operator 1/operator 2.

You want to make sure the cat has a negative association with a certain action (stepping on your synth, touching an expensive piece of studio gear) without being able to attribute that negative association with you (otherwise it will hate you). Every time the cat tries to step on my studio desk with my gear, I press one of the pads on my wireless midi controller, which blasts some random fm tone, scaring the absolute shit out of both myself and the cat. I'll also throw in some FM modulation as well, fiddling the knobs a bit to find tones that resonate in the most annoying/grating ways

It hasn't been long I've been doing this actually, and he's already learned very quickly to stay far away from my studio desk, but is perfectly happy to roam anywhere else in my studio room

Tips and tricks:
Try playing extremely low/resonant notes that rumble/resonate. 51-52 hz (G1? G#1?) is a good one
Synthoholic
I'm totally cool with people loving their pets, there's nothing wrong with that at all. I just don't understand why people would spend so much money on something and then let an animal slowly destroy it with claw marks and puke.

Look at "weiner dog on a minimoog" and then wonder why that minimoog looks like crap. (then get that song out of your head)

73 clear
Gizmo
Synthoholic wrote:
Look at "weiner dog on a minimoog" and then wonder why that minimoog looks like crap.

Notwithstanding the below: This is horrible. Appalling. A travesty. Seriously.

arthurdent wrote:
Don't own a cat. Or use a .357

Have dogs. Unless you invite them, they don't walk on equipment, they stay on the floor. Dogs, definitely.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3