MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Advice / input on new guitar purchase...(evolving subject)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Advice / input on new guitar purchase...(evolving subject)
Northward
Hi
But I need a second electric as my short scale Telecaster doesn't cover all grounds. I do love the comfortable shape of a Telecaster as I mostly play it sat down at home and I find it lovely to compose on. So much as my expensive acoustic don't get much action acually.

Been looking for ages for and older Telecaster model with a tremelo arm (80's - 90's), but Fender annoyingly seems to have eleminated all that is not "original" (read old) to their line up... mad Looks like a bloody nostalgia trip IMO. God I hate these streamlined biz models.

So, I'd like a verstile guitar with a tremolo for slowly evolving effected textures - Shoegazy stuff that'll also work well for faster rhythm playing. Beeing shallow, Stratocasters are out of the question, so are PRS' (I hate the look of them both). Jazzmasters and Jaguars are really not my favorite cup of tea either, but they do tick many of the right boxes. However, I dislike the sound of P90s (The nice J. Mascis Jazzmaster). Don't know about Jazzmaster pickups in general as I never pick. There is a HH model too that people seem to dislike the PU's on.
Jaguars... also unknown terrain really. Les Paul are uncorfortable to me.

I've been looking at these Charvel Telecasters with a Floys Rose trems that does look hidious lol but I guess it's a versitile guitar.

So my "list of demands":
-comfortable shape
-a good functional tremolo arm
-versitile PUs for recording for Rhythm stuff like -Indie and Reggae as well as heavier effected stuff like Shoegaze/dreampop.

My favorite guitar shape is a Yamaha SG and Telecaster has really grown on me for playability. I used to hate the look as a teenager grin
I've sold off an old SG as I never used it, a bit uncomfortable. An Epiphone les paul double cut and an old Fernandes V, that I bought just for kicks. I also sold an old jazz guitar that I regret. Been thinking about an Ibanez AS, but they are trem-less

Long post, sorry, ut if you're still reading you're probably a guitar-player and may share some advice.
Oh, and I should mention that up here in the northern Europe the sec hand marked is very limited.

If you have some enlightment to what PU's will suit me, please give me examples of songs. That would be very helpful.

Thanks
forestcaver
As you have such specific requirements, what about Warmoth? Build what you want.... it’s pretty straight forward.... ish

I’ve built a Warmoth tele before....
(my website below covers my guitars, amps, pedals and eurorack)

www.batguitars.co.uk
forestcaver
Or bite the bullet, give in and just get a strat :-)
GuyaGuy
In general I would recommend a single coil or low-output humbucker pickup, which will help cut through with all of the delay, reverb, and fuzz of a shoegaze/dreampop band. That's why so many of them go for the Jazzmaster.

Depending on your budget you might want to check out the old Charvel Surfcasters. They had models with various configurations but the one with the Gotoh Strat-type tremolo would be the one to look for. May not be your aesthetic if you don't like Jazzmasters.

Lots of options really. If you like Teles and want a trem you could look at installing a Bigsby or finding a model with one on it. Fender has made them with Bigsbys over the years but they are also a pretty straightforward install. You can't do dive bombs on a Bigsby but you generally can bend +/-2 whole steps.
Northward
forestcaver wrote:
As you have such specific requirements, what about Warmoth? Build what you want.... it’s pretty straight forward.... ish

www.batguitars.co.uk

Been contemplating the Warmoth option quite a few times, but buying from Europe it'll add up. Could just as well but an original well made guitar and have it modified. Kinda hard to find one up here. I'm now considering a Jazzmaster HH for versatility. Not my dream guitar though.
Northward
GuyaGuy wrote:
In general I would recommend a single coil or low-output humbucker pickup, which will help cut through with all of the delay, reverb, and fuzz of a shoegaze/dreampop band. That's why so many of them go for the Jazzmaster.

Depending on your budget you might want to check out the old Charvel Surfcasters. They had models with various configurations but the one with the Gotoh Strat-type tremolo would be the one to look for. May not be your aesthetic if you don't like Jazzmasters.

Lots of options really. If you like Teles and want a trem you could look at installing a Bigsby or finding a model with one on it. Fender has made them with Bigsbys over the years but they are also a pretty straightforward install. You can't do dive bombs on a Bigsby but you generally can bend +/-2 whole steps.

Thanks for your input.
I DETEST the look of Bigsbys... hihi Why destroy a perfectly fine looking guitar with putting a kitchen sink on top of it..

I will check out those Charvels.
forestcaver
I’m in the UK. I bought a warmoth neck off ebay (lots on there) and used a mexican tele body with bare knuckle pickups - love it!
gentle_attack
If you buy a JMJM, you can still upgrade the pickups (or find one that someone has already done) and still be in it for less money than many of the other options.

My JMJM is not my favorite guitar, but it is by far the best 'cheap' guitar I've ever picked up. I had a ~91 Clapton Artist strat which bored the shit out of me visually, but was great to play and pretty versatile. Anyways a week after I got my JMJM I sold the Clapton for $800 and came out up $500 with a guitar I liked 99% as much.

I believe the Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster has different (not P90 pickups) and is a similar fit and finish to the JMJM. They were super inexpensive on Amazon for a while.
Northward
gentle_attack wrote:
If you buy a JMJM, you can still upgrade the pickups (or find one that someone has already done) and still be in it for less money than many of the other options.

My JMJM is not my favorite guitar, but it is by far the best 'cheap' guitar I've ever picked up. I had a ~91 Clapton Artist strat which bored the shit out of me visually, but was great to play and pretty versatile. Anyways a week after I got my JMJM I sold the Clapton for $800 and came out up $500 with a guitar I liked 99% as much.

I believe the Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster has different (not P90 pickups) and is a similar fit and finish to the JMJM. They were super inexpensive on Amazon for a while.

Good input.
I've read the praise for the Squier JM Jazzmaster. Would need to change the PUs like you say. Kind of weird that so many dislike the similar priced Vintage Squier JM though.. Like the quality would be different somehow..

Really nice clean tones of Jazzmasters.
Northward
forestcaver wrote:
I’m in the UK. I bought a warmoth neck off ebay (lots on there) and used a mexican tele body with bare knuckle pickups - love it!

People seems to really dig those Bare Knuckles.
I've been scooping both Reverb and Ebay Europe, but I think I'm a bit late to the party on those amazing Japanese Teles and Yamaha Teles (with trems)

Do you know of Jenson of London? Seen some really nice looking Teles that they (he) make. Only P90s though..

I'm thinking of buying a cheapo from Thomann and go jonny rotten on it, but get the gear right hihi
forestcaver
No - dont know London well. Bare Knuckle are the best pickups I own!
With regard the Japanese teles - I have two Squier bullets (from the early/mid-80s that are just amazing for their quality - they stand up to American strat in build quality and sound! One owned by me from new and one that a friend had from new...
GuyaGuy
[quote="Northward"]
GuyaGuy wrote:

Thanks for your input.
I DETEST the look of Bigsbys... hihi Why destroy a perfectly fine looking guitar with putting a kitchen sink on top of it..

I LOVE the look of Bigsbys hihi

I also love how they feel and have one on both of my main guitars.

I just remembered Reverend has a Tele with a Strat trem:
https://www.reverendguitars.com/guitars/eastsider-s
Northward
[quote="GuyaGuy"]
Northward wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:

Thanks for your input.

I LOVE the look of Bigsbys hihi

I also love how they feel and have one on both of my main guitars.

I just remembered Reverend has a Tele with a Strat trem:
https://www.reverendguitars.com/guitars/eastsider-s

Different strokes... hihi

I know of that Reverend Tele. It looks nice. But I'm not into that Strat PUs config, besides they're very expensive.

Godin has a Telish guitar that tick my boxes, but it's kinda weird looking. Like an unfinished strat.
polyroy
If you can find a Jazzmaster with a more open routing in the body, your pickup choices can be a lot more flexible. I'm sure you can find various pick guards for the Jazzmaster on eBay for all types of pickup combos.

Alternatively, look at Jackson soloists. Neck is lush, can cover a surprising amount of ground and aren't just a 'shredder' guitar. Get a railed hum bucker in the neck and add a switch to split it, so you have the best of both worlds for the clean stuff.

Another option is to try one of these on your tele - https://super-vee.com/products/tremolo-systems/maverick/
lumena
Perhaps take a look at Eastwood Guitars. Lots of Mosrite reissues.
Lots of choices with unusual trems.

I would suggest a short scale jaguar... the Johnny Marr has bareknucklepickups as stock and used they are very reasonable.

Always such a hard choice with new guitars. Maybe just float around from shop to shop with a fuzz pedal you like in your bag and see what works. By keeping the pedal constant you can learn alot about various pickups fast. Besides lots of shops can be a bit intimidating a good fuzz is like having sunglasses on you can make a statement about needing space to try things.

Best fuzz suggestion
JPTR FX Superweirdo or Adventure Audio Demogorgon both one box guitar empowerments. Pull it out drop on floor and bingo you are the party.
felixer
seems you need a custom built. lot of guitarbuilders around. and often not that expensive. there are also firm's selling 'kits' that can be configured flexibly.
for a tremolo i like the dusenberg les trem. but nor suitable for yer standard tele. (although i made some duo-sonics fit those. but you need a new bridge (gibson style) and tilt the neck a bit. but all of that is good for the sound too).
so don't get tied up in factory builds. lot's can be changed and it might even work out cheaper then some 'name-make'.
new pickups are almost a standard thing. and better machineheads are often in order too.
phase ghost
forestcaver wrote:

www.batguitars.co.uk

Warmoth makes sense to me.
Northward
lumena wrote:
Perhaps take a look at Eastwood Guitars. Lots of Mosrite reissues.
Lots of choices with unusual trems.

I would suggest a short scale jaguar... the Johnny Marr has bareknucklepickups as stock and used they are very reasonable.

Always such a hard choice with new guitars. Maybe just float around from shop to shop with a fuzz pedal you like in your bag and see what works. By keeping the pedal constant you can learn alot about various pickups fast. Besides lots of shops can be a bit intimidating a good fuzz is like having sunglasses on you can make a statement about needing space to try things.

Best fuzz suggestion
JPTR FX Superweirdo or Adventure Audio Demogorgon both one box guitar empowerments. Pull it out drop on floor and bingo you are the party.

Been checking out the Eastwood stuff for quite some time. But reports from users are that the quality is sub par. I don't know. Do you own one?

Good advice for testing! Will def check out your fuzz advice. Good stuff.

The Jaguar seems very versitile and I'd sure like that trem. But I've got a cool old copy short scale jaguar Telecaster now, and I find it hard to work those upper narrow frets when I'm doing barre chords. Great forrocking open chords.

I'm now more open to just get a Jazzmaster for the playability and long neck. But I really didn't want to go there. I don't see many options if you want a long tremolo arm on a comfortable guitar.

Is it hard to mount a jazzmaster on a tele?https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd= &cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwizz8HUzcnbAhXB3SwKHazUCt0QjRx6BAgBEAU&url=h ttps%3A%2F%2Fguitar.com%2Fmeet-fenders-jazzmaster-and-telecaster-hybri d%2F&psig=AOvVaw27gQNwcav8H1IZxX2n7z8a&ust=1528737638663038
felixer
if you are looking for a shortscale: the squire duosonic is a decent basis. can be found s/h for cheap. pickups and tuners aren't any good but that can be changed. my client has three of'm now. one with a dusenberg trem. one that was stripped completely and oiled in a dark purple (the client is a girl hihi ). all have humbuckers and improved electronics. was a bit of work but still much cheaper then any other option. she has some backproblems so a lightweight guitar was a must. and she likes a warm sound so humbuckers. mission accomplished ... player happy. and i'm happy too cool
Sinamsis
I started a thread a while ago after being inspired by my first Warmoth build. I will never buy another stock high end guitar again. It was not only a ton of fun building my dream guitar, but it's really awesome having it customized. I went with a JM body, Bare Knuckle Nail Bombs, had them custom wired so they can be coil tapped, or run as straight humbuckers. Locking tuners. Mastery bridge. I can't recommend that bridge/tremolo system enough. It feels so great to play and sounds wonderful. In the end I think I spent $1500-1600 on it, but it was the best money I've ever spent on a guitar. It's one of my go tos. I later got a partscaster JM in a trade, and I swapped out the pickguard for another custom job using Novak pickups with the knobs being volume controls and the roller wheels being tone controls for each pick up. And then the switch puts the pickups in serial. Something like that. It's awesome. Otherwise I have a reissue Starcaster that I had Lindy Fralin put in his wide range humbuckers in, I dropped in a Bigsby and locking tuners and it sounds wonderful. Next guitar I want to build is a JM body with tele style pickups and a start neck with the bigger head stock. Looking at the TV Jones T Armond pickups for that. Ha but it'll be a while.

I tend to record a lot of post rock sort of stuff, and those three guitars really do it for me. I'm sure you can find a way to build something that will fit your needs. Warmoth can get pricey here, so I can imagine shipping it out of the USA can be even worse. Is there not an equivalent in the EU?

Btw the Duesenberg Les Trem is a great tremolo option for those who don't like the bulkier bigsby

felixer
Sinamsis wrote:

Btw the Duesenberg Les Trem is a great tremolo option for those who don't like the bulkier bigsby

yes it is. but not for divebombing/floyd rose style playing. it's more in the vein of those bigsby's. but more compact and very well built. but they do make larger ones looking like a bigsby (but improved).
and his old compagny rockinger http://rockinger.com/index.php/de has all sorts of guitarparts. also necks&bodies. warmoth is far too expensive esp in europe with the shipping and the taxes (and i've seen not-so-good stuff from them too. maybe they ship that abroad as the chance of returns is small). and there is no need. all you need you can get in europe easily.
Northward
Sinamsis wrote:
I started a thread a while ago after being inspired by my first Warmoth build. I will never buy another stock high end guitar again. It was not only a ton of fun building my dream guitar, but it's really awesome having it customized. I went with a JM body, Bare Knuckle Nail Bombs, had them custom wired so they can be coil tapped, or run as straight humbuckers. Locking tuners. Mastery bridge. I can't recommend that bridge/tremolo system enough. It feels so great to play and sounds wonderful. In the end I think I spent $1500-1600 on it, but it was the best money I've ever spent on a guitar. It's one of my go tos. I later got a partscaster JM in a trade, and I swapped out the pickguard for another custom job using Novak pickups with the knobs being volume controls and the roller wheels being tone controls for each pick up. And then the switch puts the pickups in serial. Something like that. It's awesome. Otherwise I have a reissue Starcaster that I had Lindy Fralin put in his wide range humbuckers in, I dropped in a Bigsby and locking tuners and it sounds wonderful. Next guitar I want to build is a JM body with tele style pickups and a start neck with the bigger head stock. Looking at the TV Jones T Armond pickups for that. Ha but it'll be a while.

I tend to record a lot of post rock sort of stuff, and those three guitars really do it for me. I'm sure you can find a way to build something that will fit your needs. Warmoth can get pricey here, so I can imagine shipping it out of the USA can be even worse. Is there not an equivalent in the EU?

Great line up you have here!
I'm glad to read your guitar enthusiasm Mr. Green
I don't want to hord guitars, but I think it will be a couple more. I'm not a good guitar player so I'm just not going there.. hehe

I'm set on that JM tremolo. Just visited Warmoth and they make you go through the hoops without really giving you all the options. E.g. try sticking a JM tremolo on a Tele body.. It's not an option. Colours are also restricted. I was put off. Besides, like you say it'll add up for us Europeans. I see options in the UK, but not like Warmoth.

I'm thinking now that I'll get a used J. Mascis JM and realy try it out. That will be the most economical I think. They are so poplular that I see no trouble just selling it if I don't like it.

Another telecaster I will get for sure. But I'll wait untill the right one comes along. Or get a cheapo and make a project out of it. I suspect that Tremolo an PUPs will cost more than the guitars though... hihi
Northward
New to Rockinger..

Why is this tremolo so cheap compared to the others?

Having never played these types of tremolos, how do they compare to e.g a strat type tremolo like a Wilkingson or a Schaller?

Those Bigsbys and Floyd Roses are so aesthetically challenged that I don't want them in the house lol
Sinamsis
Northward
Dude, that bottom guitar I showed (Starcaster) is made in China. I got it second hand for $450. I easily spent that on the pickups. Add on the Bigsby, roller bridge and tuners and I probably spent close to twice what I paid for the guitar on upgrades. But it was well worth it. Particularly the pickups. Honestly, I think these guitars made in various parts of Asia have pretty decent bones. I think they take short cuts on specific things like electronics/pickups and hardware, and that's an easy (though some times costly) upgrade that you can do with time.

I try not to be a collector either. But I've realized that I will never have one guitar that fits everything. I used to have a Rickenbacker 360 that I tried to make fit every style. I just couldn't do it. It really turned me off of playing guitar for a while. Then I reworked my entire guitar set up. From my guitar, to amp to pedalboard. I'm really proud of the stuff I've been recording lately. It's exactly the sound that I've been after. But it's taken time to get there. For me, I think the bare minimum is having a humbucker guitar and single coil one. If I had to pick hollow body vs solid body, I'd go solid. Everything else is icing on the cake. It's nice to have a few different "colors" to paint with.

I think the J Mascis JM will be great. You should be able to find a second hand one pretty cheap. Then with time you can mode the hell out of it. Do yourself a favor and check out Mastery bridges. They're expensive. But they make such a difference. I have one on both my JMs and they feel so wonderful. And it makes dialing in the action so easy. I'd also look at Rothstein Guitars for wiring info. He does sell prewired harnesses and stuff, which may be cost prohibitive to ship to the EU, I don't know. But he also sells schematics I believe. He has some really cool wiring mods. Also for teles, I believe. I think Novak makes an awesome JM pickup. My red JM had hand spun pickups from a US based winder that goes by Sunday Pickups. He has a Reverb store. They are very cheap and sound pretty darn good. The one thing to be careful with is that not all JM pick guards are the same. So if you do buy a prewired pickguard, or replace the stock one, make sure it's the right one.

And in terms of Teles I would say check out the 72 Tele Deluxe. They have a reissue out now. I've never played an original, but they used the Fender wide range humbucker which is a very interesting pickup design meant to capture some of the girth of humbuckers while not losing the Tele twang. The reissue pickups are just shit humbuckers (at least they were in my Starcaster), but they are the right size (these wide range humbuckers are much larger than normal humbuckers) and there are a handful of folks making clones of or pickups inspired by this unique design. The originals used an alloy of copper, nickel and iron that is difficult to come across now, so not all of these derivative pickups use this alloy. I'm not sure what that means. But I will say, I bought mine from Lindy Fralin. I'm lucky enough to live in Richmond, where his shop is. He let me come in, play his tele, shoot the shit with him a bit. He even installed them for me. They sound amazing. And I do not think he uses the CuNiFe alloy that the originals did. But they're great pickups.
Northward
Sinamsis wrote:
Northward
Dude, that bottom guitar I showed (Starcaster) is made in China. I got it second hand for $450. I easily spent that on the pickups. Add on the Bigsby, roller bridge and tuners and I probably spent close to twice what I paid for the guitar on upgrades. But it was well worth it. Particularly the pickups. Honestly, I think these guitars made in various parts of Asia have pretty decent bones. I think they take short cuts on specific things like electronics/pickups and hardware, and that's an easy (though some times costly) upgrade that you can do with time.

I try not to be a collector either. But I've realized that I will never have one guitar that fits everything. I used to have a Rickenbacker 360 that I tried to make fit every style. I just couldn't do it. It really turned me off of playing guitar for a while. Then I reworked my entire guitar set up. From my guitar, to amp to pedalboard. I'm really proud of the stuff I've been recording lately. It's exactly the sound that I've been after. But it's taken time to get there. For me, I think the bare minimum is having a humbucker guitar and single coil one. If I had to pick hollow body vs solid body, I'd go solid. Everything else is icing on the cake. It's nice to have a few different "colors" to paint with.

I think the J Mascis JM will be great. You should be able to find a second hand one pretty cheap. Then with time you can mode the hell out of it. Do yourself a favor and check out Mastery bridges. They're expensive. But they make such a difference. I have one on both my JMs and they feel so wonderful. And it makes dialing in the action so easy. I'd also look at Rothstein Guitars for wiring info. He does sell prewired harnesses and stuff, which may be cost prohibitive to ship to the EU, I don't know. But he also sells schematics I believe. He has some really cool wiring mods. Also for teles, I believe. I think Novak makes an awesome JM pickup. My red JM had hand spun pickups from a US based winder that goes by Sunday Pickups. He has a Reverb store. They are very cheap and sound pretty darn good. The one thing to be careful with is that not all JM pick guards are the same. So if you do buy a prewired pickguard, or replace the stock one, make sure it's the right one.

And in terms of Teles I would say check out the 72 Tele Deluxe. They have a reissue out now. I've never played an original, but they used the Fender wide range humbucker which is a very interesting pickup design meant to capture some of the girth of humbuckers while not losing the Tele twang. The reissue pickups are just shit humbuckers (at least they were in my Starcaster), but they are the right size (these wide range humbuckers are much larger than normal humbuckers) and there are a handful of folks making clones of or pickups inspired by this unique design. The originals used an alloy of copper, nickel and iron that is difficult to come across now, so not all of these derivative pickups use this alloy. I'm not sure what that means. But I will say, I bought mine from Lindy Fralin. I'm lucky enough to live in Richmond, where his shop is. He let me come in, play his tele, shoot the shit with him a bit. He even installed them for me. They sound amazing. And I do not think he uses the CuNiFe alloy that the originals did. But they're great pickups.

,,,Shot in the dark, man, but I beleive I've found the biggest NIN fans og Muffwiggler.. hihi

Inspiering reading your posts. Habe I lived in the US I would have costumize the shit out of my guitras. I Seriously dislike most of the factory ranges out now. Expect some super expensive stuff like Dreaimel and Fano. Fenders just annoy me.

Been scooping out a Tele vith a SH configurtation. My conclustion is that I'm not sold on the Wide range PU and would like real sweet soundig bridge rhythm PUs like the Bare Knockles Mule. Cover alot of grounds.

Having a Jagauar tremolo on that Tele would be cool.
There was these late 90s Teles with Strat style trems. Not how the'll work for showgazing... For one the arm gets short.

NB. Dude....I really has a phobia for rodents.. Seriouslly, your avatar freakes mye out man! It's like a childs nightbare...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7