MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Advice / input on new guitar purchase...(evolving subject)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Advice / input on new guitar purchase...(evolving subject)
Northward
All this love for rosewood fretboards over others. I thought it all was a matter of preference of the tactile and look and had nothing to do with sound.

I wouldn't like a Les Paul to my use because of it's shape. But I've never been a fan of that famous Telecaster twang neither. I've also decided to trust my gut feeling on both P90s and Jazzmaster PU, and also the Jauguar. At the moment they're not for me. But, a lot of options out there. Especially with custom PU, as some of you have mentioned.

The search continues.. hihi
commodorejohn
Northward wrote:
All this love for rosewood fretboards over others. I thought it all was a matter of preference of the tactile and look and had nothing to do with sound.

The answer is "D. all the above." I wouldn't say one is unilaterally better than the other (I have instruments with fretboards in both rosewood and maple, and they're all good,) but there is a difference in sound, although it's subtler than the choice of neck or body material. Some people on YouTube have done pretty methodical A/B comparisons (at least one guy actually swapped out necks on the exact same Jazz Bass,) and you can definitely hear it; seems to my ears like it's primarily in how defined the attack is. I don't know that it's something I'd buy or reject an instrument over, but it is a thing.
felixer
basically, the harder that fretboard material, the brighter and attackier the tone is going to be. i like ebony because i get a good clear attack with that. which i need for certain musical parts. and it looks good too. the really deep black stuff is the hardest. the brown/white streaks in a lot of macassar are softer. luckiliy i know a guy who has stock of fine african stuff til the next century, so i have the luxury to work with nice material. for the rest of the neck i worked with teak, cherry, pear, nut. all good and useful. no reason to get hungup on mahogany and other exotics. homegrown is fine!
prob the best guitari'v build is pear. bit like maple i guess. but somehow not so brittle. nice to work with. but it's heavy. but it also 'proves' that a heavy guitar has a heavier tone. in certain other circkles they strive for a very lightweight construction but that never sounded much good to me.
commodorejohn
Pear, now that's an interesting idea. My alto recorder is pearwood; for something that hard, it's a wonderful smooth feel, and sounds great.
GovernorSilver
Northward wrote:

Oh yes it does. Actually, I don't have any electric guitars with rosewood fretboards. I have two with maple, one with ebony, and one with phenolic.

http://www.wiredguitarist.com/2016/05/16/rosewood-vs-maple-vs-ebony-fr etboards/

I like to play with a lot of hammer-ons, and I like to mess with pick harmonics and the like. Those are the reasons I chose maple over rosewood if given a choice. As you would suspect, maple fretboard is part of the recipe for the twang/spank that the country players love in a properly (for them) configured Telecaster. I haven't found the tone with my rosewood-free guitars to be unbearably bright at all, but then I've been working for a while at being able to manage the "warm" vs. "bright"/"snap" balance via my playing technique.

Rosewood is known for absorbing highs, which for some is desirable.

Northward wrote:

I wouldn't like a Les Paul to my use because of it's shape. But I've never been a fan of that famous Telecaster twang neither. I've also decided to trust my gut feeling on both P90s and Jazzmaster PU, and also the Jauguar. At the moment they're not for me. But, a lot of options out there. Especially with custom PU, as some of you have mentioned.

The search continues.. hihi

There are Telecaster/Telecaster clones with soapbar pickups. G&L comes to mind, but there are other makers too.
Northward
I'm just amazed by the knowlege (guitar nerdiness.. hihi ) in here.. I'm never scrolling trough another bantering guitar forum ever again. Apparently muffwiggler is where the true guitar aficionados hang out.. Rockin' Banana!

I never knew this about dark vs light wood and attack. I just assumed is was all down to feel / look. I like the look of light wood, but I'm definitly more into attack. Good to know.

felixer,- I'm getting really curious over here about your total guitar collection, -stuff you made over the years..

Did you (or anyone else) own a Yamaha SG? I sure like the look of that guitar, maybe cause the old LP's of Carlos Santana my brother had when I was a kid. These have become so insanly expensive. Top craftmanship I assume. I heard they're super heavy and has a singing sustain. I'm often on the ebay.de to check what's on offer. Many sec hand guitars seems in very good condition in Germany.

There is also the Ibanez AS model that a lot of people dig and from all kinds of player styles it seems. Too bad Ibanez has discontinued the natural finish. That's a beautiful guitar IMO.
Northward
GovernorSilver wrote:

There are Telecaster/Telecaster clones with soapbar pickups. G&L comes to mind, but there are other makers too.

The G&L Teles looks nice. Been scooping them out for quite some time in hope of new models. But they too stopped making their Tele with a tremolo that I want. G&L made a limited edition run of US race car coloured guitars that I thought looked awesome hihi

The discontinued Fender Vintage Modified Telecaster with a SH configuration and tremolo bar would have been perfect for me as for right now. But they are rare over here. I suspect the Telecaster/JM hybrid Paralell Universe model will spawn alot of inspired new guitars out there. Like we saw with the Fender Cabronita, that was so expensive people thought it ridiculous. There must be some kind of DIY record of this guitar (before the Squier model came around).

I'm also on the lookout for a fair priced Yamaha SG or Ibanez AS / AM. Think I just might have me a weekend abroad smile
sduck
I had a Yamaha SG2000 for a while. I never really gelled with it, but I had a LOT of guitars at the time (right before getting married). There was nothing wrong with it actually, it played great, sounded fantastic. I should have held on to it - they've skyrocketed in price. In that same realm of things another to consider is the Ibanez Artists - the early ones especially, form the 70's and early 80's are amazing. You can find those for a bit less than the Yamahas. Oh, and the absolute best in that Japanese Les Paul clone-ish realm is the Ibanez Professional - they came out briefly right before the Artists did. They are forever linked to the Grateful Dead, as Bobby Weir played one for quite a while, but despite all that, they're really fantastic guitars - I've owned 2, and am looking for another one. They're really hard to find decent ones though, they never made very many of them.
Northward
sduck wrote:
I had a Yamaha SG2000 for a while. I never really gelled with it, but I had a LOT of guitars at the time (right before getting married). There was nothing wrong with it actually, it played great, sounded fantastic. I should have held on to it - they've skyrocketed in price.

I bet you wanna shoot yourselves in the foot over that one d'oh!
hihi

How was the neck compared to a Fender Tele/Strat?
Are they thick?
sduck
Northward wrote:
sduck wrote:
I had a Yamaha SG2000 for a while. I never really gelled with it, but I had a LOT of guitars at the time (right before getting married). There was nothing wrong with it actually, it played great, sounded fantastic. I should have held on to it - they've skyrocketed in price.

I bet you wanna shoot yourselves in the foot over that one d'oh!
hihi

Not nearly as much as for selling the 1985 PRS custom I had - serial number 6 or something like that. Bought it new from the first store to carry them, sold it a few years later for not nearly enough (and the yamaha in trade). It's priceless now.

Northward wrote:
How was the neck compared to a Fender Tele/Strat?
Are they thick?

It was closer to a les paul neck, maybe a bit wider, and definitely not as thick. It's been a long time though, my memory isn't great on it...
felixer
commodorejohn wrote:
Pear, now that's an interesting idea. My alto recorder is pearwood; for something that hard, it's a wonderful smooth feel, and sounds great.

quite a few medieval instuments are made of pear. a friend of mine had an altoviolin made (old music style) and was advised that a pear backplate would be perfect. not some fancy maple.
we've been spoiled with all these vague wooddeals. the more exotic the better it sometimes seemded. well, tone-wise there is no reason for that. inland woods are often easier to get and cheaper. and sometimes you can go to the mill and tell/explain why it would be better to cut those planks some other way.
depends on the region obviously. i get my walnut from france. still reasonably close by.
GovernorSilver
Northward wrote:

The discontinued Fender Vintage Modified Telecaster with a SH configuration and tremolo bar would have been perfect for me as for right now. But they are rare over here. I suspect the Telecaster/JM hybrid Paralell Universe model will spawn alot of inspired new guitars out there.

Maybe not exactly like that, but Shelton makes some guitars that come close:

http://www.sheltonelectricinstruments.com/guitars.html

Example model:
GovernorSilver
I mostly talk about 'Murican guitars because of my country of residence. Not so familiar with UK/Euro makers. Surely there's somebody there?

Levinson/Blade is one of the few i know of - you're on your own to search that site to see if he makes anything of interest:
http://www.bladeguitars.com/

I checked the Duesenberg site - seems like they cater to lovers of twang and jangle. wink

There are a couple of German makers I admire (Teuffel and Spalt) but they might be too avant-garde for you.
Northward
GovernorSilver wrote:

Maybe not exactly like that, but Shelton makes some guitars that come close:

http://www.sheltonelectricinstruments.com/guitars.html

Example model:

Interesting builder. That model bear witness of Fenders lack of any original ideas since 1986.. hihi

Thanks for the links. Always nice to check out unknown cool stuff that's out there, obscured by the big boring companies.
Sinamsis
Not to beat a dead horse but oooks like they’re using mastery tremolos and bridges. Haha. They’re phenomenal (for the twentieth time).
felixer
GovernorSilver wrote:
Not so familiar with UK/Euro makers. Surely there's somebody there?

loads of 'm. but usually small makers. not huge firms. check the qualified in the back of muso mags. also people who do mods&repairs a lot occasionally built something from scratch.
Northward
Sinamsis wrote:
Not to beat a dead horse but oooks like they’re using mastery tremolos and bridges. Haha. They’re phenomenal (for the twentieth time).

I think I’m pretty sold on those by now.. thanks
If I ever get something made with that style of trem, there won’t be no doubts hihi
GovernorSilver
Sinamsis wrote:

I actually only heard about Shelton when a local guitarist I know got one, This is his signature model - a variation on the Galaxy Flite:

https://www.facebook.com/sheltonelectric/videos/1629036663880962/

I believe he plays it with The Messthetics as well as on his own. He freely admits he stole a lot from Nels Cline; from the type of guitar to FX pedal appraoches to the punk meets jazz meets rootsy stuff personal style. Nels doesn't seem as into synths though.

Don Grosh has been buliding his own neat variation of the Jazzmaster for years, but I think Shelton took it a bit further. I like the alignment of the pole pieces on that Jazzmaster-fied Tele's neck pickup.
Sinamsis
GovernorSilver
That's pretty awesome. I've never heard of that MIDI converter. I'm reading up on it now. I've been really thinking about getting some sort of MIDI converter installed on one of my guitars. Ha, I even toyed around with getting one of those Moog guitars (some are a little ugly, but I really lust after them haha). Most realistically, I may do this with my bass.

And I'm a fan of Nels Cline. Pretty much the main thing that I like about Wilco.
GovernorSilver
Sinamsis wrote:
GovernorSilver
That's pretty awesome. I've never heard of that MIDI converter. I'm reading up on it now. I've been really thinking about getting some sort of MIDI converter installed on one of my guitars. Ha, I even toyed around with getting one of those Moog guitars (some are a little ugly, but I really lust after them haha). Most realistically, I may do this with my bass.

And I'm a fan of Nels Cline. Pretty much the main thing that I like about Wilco.

My one encounter with Nels was buying a Geraldine Fibbers CD when he and Carla Bozulich were in town. Nels was doing triple duty that night - opening act as a solo performer, backing up Carla, and manning the merch table, lol.

I visited Mr. Pirog and his lovely wife at their new place once, where he showed me some of his synth gear. He swore me to secrecy about the synth thing, then Shelton let the cat out of the bag wink. He's either using a Roland converter or perhaps an old Axon.

I believe Kiesel/Carvin also uses the Graphtech GHOST system for 13-pin guitar-synth connectivity. There was a bit of debate back in the day which was better, between the Graphtech and the older RMC pickup system.

I managed to avoid falling in lust with Moog Guitars, but I did drool quite a bit over the Moog Lap Steel.

I was surprised to see the price of this new MIDI-ready bass - fret sensing MIDI basses were pretty damn expensive back in the day.

http://www.industrialradio.com.au/products/pro-4-midi-bass.html
Sinamsis
GovernorSilver
I've seen those basses before, I think the bassist from Yeasayer uses one. They seem nice. Ha, but I'm thinking something I could just throw on my Stingray.
Northward
Sinamsis wrote:
GovernorSilver
That's pretty awesome. I've never heard of that MIDI converter. I'm reading up on it now. I've been really thinking about getting some sort of MIDI converter installed on one of my guitars.

Did I miss a link or something...what MIDI converter are you referring to?
I too have been intrigued by the thought of MIDI on a guitar as I don’t play keys as good as guitar. But when researching the subject I’ve found quite a few lukewarm users (Roland GK..)

Would be nice to play my synths vía midi, -strumming melodies without a ‘guitar synth’ as a link between guitar and DAW. I understand this is still somewhat of a hit and miss.
Sinamsis
Northward
In the FB video posted the guy is using a GraphTech Ghost system to play a synth via MIDI. Ha at least that’s the video that comes up for me.
GovernorSilver
Sinamsis wrote:
GovernorSilver
I've seen those basses before, I think the bassist from Yeasayer uses one. They seem nice. Ha, but I'm thinking something I could just throw on my Stingray.

Your comment made me curious about the current state of MIDI bass tech. Looks like the options for those who don't want a fret-scanning bass is still to get either the Roland GK-3B or a Graphtech Ghost (they used to spell it all caps - or maybe that was a made-up memory of mine). Since there's still no Fishman Triple Play for bass, I'm guessing users are still plugging those 13-pin cables into Roland GR-55s for MIDI conversion and synthesis. I"m also guessing the MIDI tracking on the GRs is still as bad as ever for bass, so peeps are still using the workaround of layering GR-55 HRM patches with MIDI sounds.
GovernorSilver
I have a Roland VG-99, which was Roland's first product combining Roland's Virtual Guitar (physical modeling) technology with MIDI conversion. I tried hooking it up to my Korg M3 for MIDI shits and giggles and it actually wasn't that bad... on guitar. MIDI cello was more hit and miss, because it can go below guitar range, well into baritone territory. I have Roland GK3 pickups mounted on my Reverend Jetstream 390 and Parker Nitefly SSS

I haven't played too much w/ guitar synthesis on the VG-99, using just the internal synth models; and the MIDI part even less. It's because after I got the VG-99, I went through a phase of playing more piano, then getting into sequencing and live sampling/sequencing on the Octatrack. Just not enough time to learn it all.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 5 of 7