MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Advice / input on new guitar purchase...(evolving subject)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Advice / input on new guitar purchase...(evolving subject)
Sinamsis
Northward
Bare Knuckles are very nice pickups. I had looked at the Mules when I got mine. There so many options out there, it's hard to decided. I used to have a SH style tele, I think it was a Custom reissue. It sounded really nice. The one thing I noticed is the outputs of the humbucker and single coil weren't matched. I guess that's inherent in the design. But I have to wonder if there isn't something that can be done about it.

I'm not sure why you say that about NIN, but ha yes, I'm a big fan. And the avatar is the coke badger from It's All Gone Pete Tong. Great movie haha.

Sounds like you really want a hybrid of a Tele and JM or Jaguar. You can definitely get those made. You might try to find a local luthier. You could probably figure out how to finish it yourself. That is going to be my next project guitar. JM body with tele style electronics.
Northward
Sinamsis wrote:
Northward
Bare Knuckles are very nice pickups. I had looked at the Mules when I got mine. There so many options out there, it's hard to decided. I used to have a SH style tele, I think it was a Custom reissue. It sounded really nice. The one thing I noticed is the outputs of the humbucker and single coil weren't matched. I guess that's inherent in the design. But I have to wonder if there isn't something that can be done about it.

I'm not sure why you say that about NIN, but ha yes, I'm a big fan. And the avatar is the coke badger from It's All Gone Pete Tong. Great movie haha.

Sounds like you really want a hybrid of a Tele and JM or Jaguar. You can definitely get those made. You might try to find a local luthier. You could probably figure out how to finish it yourself. That is going to be my next project guitar. JM body with tele style electronics.

Yeah I saw that film. Funny stuff.
Well I know what I like the look of and to a certain degree the sound of. But this forum thread to get wiser on this stuff. I just may end up with a guitar I'd never thought I'd get, but is golden.

It's that getting it all together in bodyshape I like. I guiess swopping pickups on the J. Mascis gives quite a few options. Like the Humbuckers from the Creamery. That '13 Custom looked intruiging. No success in finding a clean demo of many of their pickups though.
felixer
Northward wrote:
New to Rockinger..

Why is this tremolo so cheap compared to the others?
Having never played these types of tremolos, how do they compare to e.g a strat type tremolo like a Wilkingson or a Schaller?

they are cheap for a reason. the originals were terrible. don't know about these newer ones (prob better) but the design is lousy: hardly any tension on the bridge (which means a bad sound and strings flying out of the grooves if you play harder), made of sheetmetal (which means very little mass=no sustain). you would be much better off with a strat trem. or the düsenberg les trem. they are fairly small and very well built.
here's some pics of the duosonics i modded for this girl:

importent for any trem is a roller brigde. and either a roller nut of one of these graphtech selflubricating nuts as used here. also get stringguides with rollers (the original fender design is a disaster). all those things will make sure it stays in tune much better:

moved the output jack to the side so there is room for one more control. singlecoil switches can go anywhere. i also streamlined the neck/body connection. much easier to play high on the neck:

from being a pos it is now a quite useful guitar. with just a bit of work and a little money. (the pickups being the most expensive part: she wanted seymore duncans. a jazz at the neck and a jeff beck at the bridge). and obviously you can keep the original laquer/colour. that's quite a bit of dirty work getting that old laquer off (thick polysomething)
Northward
felixer wrote:
Northward wrote:
New to Rockinger..

Why is this tremolo so cheap compared to the others?
Having never played these types of tremolos, how do they compare to e.g a strat type tremolo like a Wilkingson or a Schaller?

they are cheap for a reason. the originals were terrible. don't know about these newer ones (prob better) but the design is lousy: hardly any tension on the bridge (which means a bad sound and strings flying out of the grooves if you play harder), made of sheetmetal (which means very little mass=no sustain). you would be much better off with a strat trem. or the düsenberg les trem. they are fairly small and very well built.
here's some pics of the duosonics i modded for this girl:

importent for any trem is a roller brigde. and either a roller nut of one of these graphtech selflubricating nuts as used here. also get stringguides with rollers (the original fender design is a disaster). all those things will make sure it stays in tune much better:

moved the output jack to the side so there is room for one more control. singlecoil switches can go anywhere. i also streamlined the neck/body connection. much easier to play high on the neck:

from being a pos it is now a quite useful guitar. with just a bit of work and a little money. (the pickups being the most expensive part: she wanted seymore duncans. a jazz at the neck and a jeff beck at the bridge). and obviously you can keep the original laquer/colour. that's quite a bit of dirty work getting that old laquer off (thick polysomething)

Nice work. I'd like to see her play it.
Any links to sounds examples of PUPs?

Concerning the tremolo system. This is probably one of the most divided and opinionated issue you'd hear from guitarists. One one side (let's call these The Divebombers hihi :-) -JM trems are utterly crap and won't hold tuning for shit. In the other camp (Lets call them the Bearded Coffie&Jazz aficionados' ), say they are perfection as log as set up right.
Stranger Things...

My impression of the Les Trem is that people are generally happy with them. But that we're talking polite vibrato action here, and not the sort of thing you'd like for working it constant and real good like e.g. Shoegaze stuff. And I don't mean just the action, but the way to hold it in your hand while strumming, (what I'd like) not just pick it up now and then.
forestcaver
Have you tried a *good* strat? I know you dont like the look, but it’s worth trying a really good one. I just have a feeling that you keep describing a strat :-) I held off getting one for years for exactly the same reason (looks, too popular, too corny) but ended up trying the right one and it fit me perfectly. I also love shoegazy stuff - playing and listening..... (I also have a fair few other guitars but usually play the strat or tele....) Sorry if it’s irritating to suggest it !
Northward
forestcaver wrote:
Have you tried a *good* strat? I know you dont like the look, but it’s worth trying a really good one. I just have a feeling that you keep describing a strat :-) I held off getting one for years for exactly the same reason (looks, too popular, too corny) but ended up trying the right one and it fit me perfectly. I also love shoegazy stuff - playing and listening..... (I also have a fair few other guitars but usually play the strat or tele....) Sorry if it’s irritating to suggest it !

No worries mate..
Dammit! I keep getting this advice. I guess Mr. Gilmour tried a few guitars before deciding..

But tell me, is the Strat trem good for keeping in your hand while strumming - like through a whole song. You don't see much of that on stage with Strats. I suspect they come out in the studio, behind closed doors. Or wait, I think maybe I read somewher3e that Strats are so unhip they actually are hipster 1-0-1 now... hihi hihi hihi

I really can't stand them though. Corny as you said -and proliferated AF.
But I suspect your right. I did play a Strat years ago. Very comfortable guitar.
Northward
Sinamsis wrote:
Northward

I'd really like a custom project. But I'm a bit worried I'll fuck it up myself. Luthiers where I live are like one dude, and he's so expensive I might as well get a top Fender. Tell me: is it hard to set up a Jaguar tremolo DIY? I have a carpender in the family that can do the cavity, but I really don't know about getting it in good working order..

And yeah, I get NIN wibes from your choice of gear
GovernorSilver
Northward wrote:

But tell me, is the Strat trem good for keeping in your hand while strumming - like through a whole song. You don't see much of that on stage with Strats. I suspect they come out in the studio, behind closed doors. Or wait, I think maybe I read somewher3e that Strats are so unhip they actually are hipster 1-0-1 now... hihi hihi hihi

But I suspect your right. I did play a Strat years ago. Very comfortable guitar.

Jazzmasters and Jaguars are way higher up the hipster scale than Strats. wink Supposedly the Mastery bridge is the way to go if you purse the Jazzmaster path.

Jeff Beck is one of the very few Strat players who actually holds the tremolo bar in his hand while strumming and playing in general. But I see many more Strat players not use the trem bar at all - it's not even screwed into the bridge.
Sinamsis
Northward
I installed the tremolo on my black JM. Granted the cavity was cut. I don’t recall if the holes were predrilled or if I drilled them. I know I had to drill some holes and it was very easy. Otherwise you literally just drop the tremolo in and screw it in. The bridge can be the tricky part. Depending on what bridge you choose. Mastery was pretty easy. If you already have the thimble type things that the bridge post sit in, you can basically drop the bridge in. My black JM did not have anything (I got the body from Warmoth). I had someone install it for me so I wouldn’t screw it up. You need to drill a path for the grounding wire to go to the bridge. A preassembled guitar will already have this in place.

Otherwise the Mastery bridge allows you to individually raise or lower each string to really dial in the action when you set it up. It was designed for Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth I believe, with one of the goals being to prevent the strings from hoping out of their saddles.
forestcaver
Northward wrote:
forestcaver wrote:

I find it ok holding the trem whilst strumming....

I hated them when I started playing but really appreciate it now - it’s so versatile. For me, they’ll never be cool in general, but I really do love *mine*!

Good luck with the search! (I ended up building my LP clone from scratch to get exactly what I wanted though!) I only need one more guitar in my life - an es335 and then I am done! Not bought a guitar now in nearly 10 years so it may actually be true!
sduck
I'm not going to comment on the hipness/fashionability aspects of guitars in general.

But you might find some of the info in this thread useful/interesting - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185125

You'll find my post on the first page - I think you'd find my green guitar to be really useful.

Oh, and on the trem thing - after owning an early PRS guitar for a brief time in the 80's, I've been locked into the wilkinson tremelo bridge, with a smooth graph tech nut and locking tuners - stays in tune no matter which style of tremelo use you subject it to, and properly set up is a thing of beauty.
commodorejohn
It is kinda funny the extent to which appearances matter on guitars when there's no clear reason why they should. My theory is that, because it's something you wear, it feels like clothing to the part of the brain that makes the "okay, do I feel like a dope in this?" assessments.
felixer
Northward wrote:

Concerning the tremolo system. This is probably one of the most divided and opinionated issue you'd hear from guitarists. One one side (let's call these The Divebombers hihi :-) -JM trems are utterly crap and won't hold tuning for shit. In the other camp (Lets call them the Bearded Coffie&Jazz aficionados' ), say they are perfection as log as set up right.
Stranger Things...

My impression of the Les Trem is that people are generally happy with them. But that we're talking polite vibrato action here, and not the sort of thing you'd like for working it constant and real good like e.g. Shoegaze stuff. And I don't mean just the action, but the way to hold it in your hand while strumming, (what I'd like) not just pick it up now and then.

well, it's only partly the vibrato as such. as i explained you need locking tuners and basically everything on rollers. even my cheapo squire strat and a line6 (feels very much like a squire, prob the same factory somewhere in china) i got stay very well in tune with those mods. i can see the point in having different metals for the strat vibrato block and i'm sure it would make a subtle difference in the tone, but for tuning it will not help. all those other small things will ...
and yeah, you would like to see this pretty redhead play that purple guitar. but don't get any ideas: she's a lesbian. too bad for the rest of us. regularly takes her girlfriend along. prob to remind me. but the funny thing is: she is one of the few people i can have watching over my shoulder while i work. just a really nice person ... she always brings nice thee along too.
Northward
Thank you all for contributing to this thread. I'd still torn beteween options. Mostly cause the guitars that I like factory made doesn't come with the parts I want. Like many of you have mentioned I should had one made for me.. meanwhile I'll still check out my options.

The first time I saw this guitar from the Eastwood mailing, I thought it looked kinda goofy...like a horny Dolphin or something hihi
But it does have stuff I'd like and looks quite unique. It's kind of expensive coming from Eastwood, and that trem doesn't look like quality. Still a fun looking guitar. I tried layering on top of a Jazzmaster in Photoshop. It has the contours, but is still very much it own design. I'd love to have it in pink for playing punk.. hihi
Sinamsis
Nice. It's a very handsome guitar. Ha, I'm a maple fretboard guy myself. But looks nice.

And I'll say it again... if you find something close to what you want and can get it on the cheap I think that's your best bet. You can slowly upgrade it as money allows. You don't need to spend $2k to get a great guitar. Also, slowly changing out the different pieces will teach you a lot about what each part of a guitar is responsible for and how it contributes to the over all feel, function and sound of the guitar. Stuff you take for granted. Like the nut. It never even crossed my mind until I had to make a choice when I built my Warmoth. And then as other people have mentioned, when you get into heavy tremolo use it can be important. Anyways, whatever you go with I'm sure you'll learn a lot and it'll be a great experience. For me, doing this research and overthinking it is half the fun! Haha.
commodorejohn
Well that's just gorram adorable.

Though I much prefer finishes that enhance the grain rather than cover it up.
Northward
felixer wrote:
Northward wrote:

Stranger Things...

well, it's only partly the vibrato as such. as i explained you need locking tuners and basically everything on rollers. even my cheapo squire strat and a line6 (feels very much like a squire, prob the same factory somewhere in china) i got stay very well in tune with those mods. i can see the point in having different metals for the strat vibrato block and i'm sure it would make a subtle difference in the tone, but for tuning it will not help. all those other small things will ...
and yeah, you would like to see this pretty redhead play that purple guitar. but don't get any ideas: she's a lesbian. too bad for the rest of us. regularly takes her girlfriend along. prob to remind me. but the funny thing is: she is one of the few people i can have watching over my shoulder while i work. just a really nice person ... she always brings nice thee along too.

Hot Mustang playing redhead lespo you say..ooh..that’s cruel man hahaa
And I who really dig those Céltic beauties. I’d love a picture at least. I bet she looks real good with her guitar.
Northward
commodorejohn wrote:
It is kinda funny the extent to which appearances matter on guitars when there's no clear reason why they should. My theory is that, because it's something you wear, it feels like clothing to the part of the brain that makes the "okay, do I feel like a dope in this?" assessments.

These are my thoughts exactly!

I believe guitars reflect our taste and personality as much as clothes, glasses or cars. It shouldnt matter but it does.

It's also a question of wanting to pick it up as often as possible, like a favourite toy you wanna play with again and again. My blonde country lookin Telecaster looks good imo. and I like to pick it up most days. So it makes sense that way too. I’m sure an Ibanez RG is great to play and you could play Prince or Jazz on it, but I would feel a bit awkward with those pointy horns hihi
Standup
Read part of this earlier then came back. Personally, I love gretsch inspired pickups. Lots of depth, great for shoegazy stuff.

So look for a Squier cabronita modified something or other, it would have to be used cuz they don’t make them now.

Oh, right, you don’t like Bigsby tremolos. I think they’re fun.

So as an alternate, go play some reverend guitars. I spent an hour or so playing a “double agent” with one single coil one humbucker, but actually bought a reverend with two gretsch style pickups, but then returned it when it occurred to me I didn’t actually have the money at that time.

Some reverends have a Wilkinson trem, which avoids the Bigsby problem.

squier cabronita and reverend guitars in general Might be worth checking out.
Northward
Standup wrote:
Read part of this earlier then came back. Personally, I love gretsch inspired pickups. Lots of depth, great for shoegazy stuff.

So look for a Squier cabronita modified something or other, it would have to be used cuz they don’t make them now.

Oh, right, you don’t like Bigsby tremolos. I think they’re fun.

So as an alternate, go play some reverend guitars. I spent an hour or so playing a “double agent” with one single coil one humbucker, but actually bought a reverend with two gretsch style pickups, but then returned it when it occurred to me I didn’t actually have the money at that time.

Some reverends have a Wilkinson trem, which avoids the Bigsby problem.

squier cabronita and reverend guitars in general Might be worth checking out.

Actually I’ve been attracted to Cabronitas since Fender Customer shop released them. Cool looking guitar and I was real close to buying a new Squire Cabronita in Seafoam green.. but I changed my mind cause I was unsure about the jangley sounds from the Filterthrons. Though they be around for years.. I may get a cheap Cabronita copy from Thomann. Looks like a fun project to be my first. It gets good reviews. Pickups sounds great distorted. As good as a Squier I’m sure, if you don’t get a Monday model. (poor quality control and many returns). Still dead cheap.

Reverends are rare over here and expensive. They do a nice Telecaster with Wilkingson trem.
felixer
Northward wrote:

Hot Mustang playing redhead lespo you say..ooh..that’s cruel man hahaa
And I who really dig those Céltic beauties. I’d love a picture at least. I bet she looks real good with her guitar.

cruel ... yes! but i have no pics of her. only the guitars. she used to be in this band that folded: 'roter rabe' (red raven). but i think the website is gone too. here's some pics of another one i did:

that's a seymore duncan lipstick. sounds good. not quite as thin as i expected. def fatter then a standard strat. and pretty noisefree (for a singlecoil that is).
here you can see how i moved the jacksocket to the side to make more room for controls:

all this just goes to show how much you can make a guitar 'your own'. and esp with fenders the wood has never been very important, so getting a cheapo and pimp it is certainly a good option. as long as you like the neckshape. roller stringtrees and locking tuners as well (not sperzel but cheaper chinese copies that work just fine. and btw sperzel was not the guy who invented this: i've seen a guitar in a museum that was over 100 years old that had exactly that system):
commodorejohn
Aw damn but that copper pickguard is sexy.
GovernorSilver
Northward wrote:

Reverends are rare over here and expensive. They do a nice Telecaster with Wilkingson trem.

Yeah, the Reverend Pete Anderson Eastsider looks nice. I only tried his other signature model - the hollowbody with a Bigsby - sounds and plays great. My favorite trem though is the Les Trem that came with my Club King, which is on semi-permanent loan to my bandmate - nice and smooth for surfy vibrato,

This thread is reminding me that the Jazzmaster is the dominant choice of guitar for shoegaze. When I saw Slowdive play a few years ago, though, one guitarist played a Strat and the other played a 335-like semihollow. Forgot what Rachel played, the few times she did pick up a guitar.
felixer
commodorejohn wrote:
Aw damn but that copper pickguard is sexy.

actually it's anodized aluminium. and looks more like gold. you can get that from various sources. although it was standard on that duosonic. copper would not be so good to the touch. but then neither is alu.

and for shoegaze stuff it's comparable to punk/new wave: any guitar that wasn't 'hip' in those days and you could get a good deal on was suitable. i'm sure they didn't go out of their way to get some specific model. all those genre's are fairly 'anti-muso'. coming in with a strat or les paul would be suspicious. like you are a player and actually know what you're doing, musically hihi
Sinamsis
I think we should probably try to avoid objectifying women.

But back to topic. If you like the Gretsch style pickups, I can't recommend TV Jones enough. I think they're using his classics on some of their higher end models. I have an orange 5422 that felt nice to play, but just sounded really muddy. Switching out the stock pickups to TV Jones Classics made all the difference in the world. It sounds fantastics. I didn't really mention it I guess because to me, it didn't seem like the ideal shoe gaze guitar. But it's a very nice, mellow sound.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 2 of 7