MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Advice / input on new guitar purchase...(evolving subject)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Advice / input on new guitar purchase...(evolving subject)
Northward
Sinamsis wrote:
I think we should probably try to avoid objectifying women.

Yeah, you are right of course. I have a bit of a poor filter: brain - err.. keyboard. But to my defense I'm always polite to women IRL and should of course behave the same on the internet.

Sinamsis wrote:
If you like the Gretsch style pickups, I can't recommend TV Jones enough. I think they're using his classics on some of their higher end models. I have an orange 5422 that felt nice to play, but just sounded really muddy. Switching out the stock pickups to TV Jones Classics made all the difference in the world. It sounds fantastics. I didn't really mention it I guess because to me, it didn't seem like the ideal shoe gaze guitar. But it's a very nice, mellow sound.

Are these types of PUs jangely all the time? I mean can you make them sound more like regular Humbuckers.
Single coil/low output PUs sound good on overdiven/fuzz. Varm pleasant cleans (not jazz)...I'm not quite convinced.. I'm thinking how do they handle heavy modulation like Shoegaze.

Input from users like yourself are golden. YT is full of stuff that are often misleading (signal chains / recording etc). There is such an amount of distorted PU "reviews" making it impossible to judge IMO
Northward
double posting
Northward
felixer wrote:

I'm gettin' strong J. Mascis vibes over here.. hihi

Do you have any good pointers to someone who make custom pickguards . Colur AND shape? Maybe a computer generated shop where you upload your own design and Pantone colour..

The Mustang / Duo sonics looks sooo much better in cool colurs IMO. My bandmate has a sunburst with big P90's on and I think that one looks kinda bland to me. He also has this rather dull/muffled sound that I dislike and I thought: this is how P90 sound, and they are sh*t. But listening to J. Mascis and gnarly punk bands, the sound is far from muffled. Maybe it's cause they tweak with eq and high boost or something.

This tread has really inspired me to make a guitar in my own image. Not sure about starting the routing for a trem though. Kahlers seems like the least hassle cause of the integrigated springs, - lesser cavity work needed. But then again the most hassle setting up..

It may end up two guitars afterall... Beware the ghost of hording hihi
felixer
Northward wrote:
felixer wrote:

I'm gettin' strong J. Mascis vibes over here.. hihi

Do you have any good pointers to someone who make custom pickguards . Colur AND shape? Maybe a computer generated shop where you upload your own design and Pantone colour..

The Mustang / Duo sonics looks sooo much better in cool colurs IMO. My bandmate has a sunburst with big P90's on and I think that one looks kinda bland to me. He also has this rather dull/muffled sound that I dislike and I thought: this is how P90 sound, and they are sh*t. But listening to J. Mascis and gnarly punk bands, the sound is far from muffled. Maybe it's cause they tweak with eq and high boost or something.

This tread has really inspired me to make a guitar in my own image. Not sure about starting the routing for a trem though. Kahlers seems like the least hassle cause of the integrigated springs, - lesser cavity work needed. But then again the most hassle setting up..

It may end up two guitars afterall... Beware the ghost of hording hihi

all depends where you are located. in the usa there is this woman called wendy (https://www.wdmusic.com/) that does all things pickguard. here in good ol' europe there is rockinger that sells a fair selection. also 'raw' plates so you can cut your own (or have some with the proper equipment do so). many towns have a public workshop. often with lasercutters and thelike. that plastic material is tricky to cut cleanly, so you'll have to do some sanding afterwards. or use a scraper. and always best to have the guitar at hand, sizing is difficult with all those curves ...
if you are in central germany you could come to me and i'll do it for 'ya cool
and p90's don't need to sound muffled at all. prob more in this vol/tone controls (you do need a higher ohm-value for sc as for humb (for a while gibson used 300kohm pots whcich is def to low for either). and using a lot of distotion/fuzz gives a wrong impression about any sound. obviously overtones are accentuated.
felixer
Sinamsis wrote:
I think we should probably try to avoid objectifying women.

Soapbox
you should let woman talk for themselves and not act as if they are brainless beings. the last thing we need is some 'politically correct' censoring. and no need for patronizing religious babble too.
sduck
Please try to avoid this kind of bantering.
GovernorSilver
felixer wrote:

and for shoegaze stuff it's comparable to punk/new wave: any guitar that wasn't 'hip' in those days and you could get a good deal on was suitable. i'm sure they didn't go out of their way to get some specific model. all those genre's are fairly 'anti-muso'. coming in with a strat or les paul would be suspicious. like you are a player and actually know what you're doing, musically hihi

Unfortunately, Nels Cline came along and ruined the "not for musos" imsage for Jazzmasters too.
Northward
GovernorSilver wrote:
felixer wrote:

and for shoegaze stuff it's comparable to punk/new wave: any guitar that wasn't 'hip' in those days and you could get a good deal on was suitable. i'm sure they didn't go out of their way to get some specific model. all those genre's are fairly 'anti-muso'. coming in with a strat or les paul would be suspicious. like you are a player and actually know what you're doing, musically hihi

Unfortunately, Nels Cline came along and ruined the "not for musos" imsage for Jazzmasters too.

I totally feel at home in of felixer's 'anti-muso' statement hihi as I am not a good guitarist and generally can't stand songs with guitar solos in them. With the expeption of Pink Floyd, -where they're are elegantly weaved into the songs as layered ambience together with the other elements.

The Jazzmaster nowadays being the number one guitar for the hipstery brigade is very much not hip at all in my book. The pioneering indie bands made the JM cool again. Those days are gone and they're now look like bearded 'hipsters' in a H&M advert. Then again it really doesn' matter. Whatever makes folks happy.

The only reason I'm considering one is because of the tremolo action and good for effects PU, and the smooth cleans. High comfort of playing sat down. I wouldn't like to be seen on stage with it, as I don't wanna be assosiated with your run of the mill hipster dude. Check Reverb..! hihi it's cringeworthy..

The cool thing is that you can take any old mass produced guitar and make it your own. And these are the coolest looking at IMO. Take the Telecaster that's the bread winner in any country band since the fifties and then you'd see The Clash and punk bands use (abuse) them. Among such a span of diverse artists and genres at the same time..

And the Les Paul, -the jazz guitar that's more assosiated with Slash, Ace Frehley or reggae guitarist nowadays.. lol

All above is of course just IMO.

NB. felixer - I've sent you a PM.
commodorejohn
Then again, the flip side of that is that those guitars were cool for those styles because someone took them and played that music with them. So pick what you like the sound, features, and playing feel of, make it look however you want it to, then go out and play the music you like - and if people don't like that, screw 'em lol
Northward
commodorejohn wrote:
Then again, the flip side of that is that those guitars were cool for those styles because someone took them and played that music with them. So pick what you like the sound, features, and playing feel of, make it look however you want it to, then go out and play the music you like - and if people don't like that, screw 'em lol

I fail to see the flip side as I think you're bang on what I just wrote smile
Someone creative found something cool when most didn't. Changing the perception of it with their talent. But there is an expiration date. Some new kid inevitably comes along and piss on the old established ideas hihi That's just natural..

The big players in the guitar industry must be of the most conservative and least innovative companies compared to their size. But are guitarist really the same..or do they just eat what's being served..
felixer
GovernorSilver wrote:
felixer wrote:

well, the jazzmaster (as it's name implies) was specifically designed to lure some (tradionally gibson) customers away towards fender. that didn't work out but it found it's place somewhere else.
felixer
Northward wrote:

And the Les Paul, -the jazz guitar that's more assosiated with Slash, Ace Frehley or reggae guitarist nowadays.. lol

steve jones of sex pistols (in)fame was the exception. he always played a les paul custom. but then he (secretly) wanted to be like jimmy page. so much for punkesthetic hihi
felixer
Northward wrote:
The big players in the guitar industry must be of the most conservative and least innovative companies compared to their size. But are guitarist really the same..or do they just eat what's being served..

definetly. i can built and design my own guitars (and i will not play anything else, given a choice except for some 'special project'). but many can't. and there is always the 'me too' factor. some folks just love to look&sound like someone else. beats me ...
cretaceousear
Sorry only skimmed the thread - have you tried a Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet - the one with the blacktop filtertrons ?
Some people say it gets you in LP territory but I don't find that. Sounds like itself, from jangly to graunchy - plenty of other tones and better ergonomics than LPs.
Mine gets used mostly for shoegazy - filtertrons are medium output humbuckers so not high gain monsters, though they can be - contrast well with my mate's stratty/tele sounds. Really well made guitars and cheap second hand. Try one!

The one with BT filtertrons is now the old model - the new model has more LP style pickups apparently. Mistake imho but I've not tried one.

Oh yeah - available with Bigsby of course. thumbs up
Or not if you don't like 'em.
Sinamsis
sduck wrote:
Please try to avoid this kind of bantering.

Which kind of banter? The gentle reminder that perhaps the line was being toed? Or Felixer kicking it up a notch?

There's nothing PC about me. Even the OP acknowledged it. There's no soap box. Clearly not religious either. Be respectful. Stop being a dick. It's not a lot to ask. Instead, you choose to escalate things.
GovernorSilver
felixer wrote:
Northward wrote:

steve jones of sex pistols (in)fame was the exception. he always played a les paul custom. but then he (secretly) wanted to be like jimmy page. so much for punkesthetic hihi

Johnny Marr was another non-hard rock player who played a Les Paul live, although he struck me as more of the type of guitarist who liked to rotate guitars often.

Sinamsis
cretaceousear
My 5422 had the blacktop Filtertrons. Not sure if they're the same. But I hated them. Haha, it goes to show how personally these things are. I'm much happier with my TV Jones. I feel like there's more clarity in the sound.

Northward
I'm not sure about jangly. Ha, I find that we used a lot of abstract terms in the world of guitar and I don't always understand them. So like for me, jangly is associated with Rickenbackers. Twangy is a tele. Haha, the guy that sold the TV Jones to me said he found them to make the guitar sound to "acoustic," I don't know what that means. Here's a half finished recording I used the 5422 on. It's the main guitar through the whole thing. Unfortunately it's the only thing I've recorded with it so far as I've been focusing on more synth based stuff lately.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/sinamsis/091017-revised[/s]
smetak
Enrolled in a luthier workshop to get my mind off from everyday duggery.

Bought a cheap Eastwood Two Tone Airline with a Bigsby trem to work upon.

Remaking the entire thing, adding a new neck plate, with only a volume and tone knob for both pickups and rerouting the output jack from the plate, directly to the wooden body - and while at it, got a pair of used TV Jones pickups - coming out quite nice.

Its a short scale guitar and perfect to play Marc Ribot solos, Thurston Moore tunings and even a few Nels Cline chops (even though its not a Jazzmaster nor a Jaguar).
Sinamsis
smetak
That's awesome. Good for you! I'm embarrassed that as a guitarist, I didn't truly know my instrument for a very long time. Honestly I still don't completely. I would love to do something like that some day!
felixer
Sinamsis wrote:
I didn't truly know my instrument for a very long time. Honestly I still don't completely.

but that's good! it leaves something to be discovered. what put me off keyboards (i was trained as a classical pianist) is that it is too logical ... good for working out things (llike composing something traditional) but not so great for experimenting, afaik.
btw gretches as a rule sound both brighter and deeper then a les paul. that's prob what they mean by 'acoustic'. and a lot of it is in the pickups. making 'm with standard humbucker makes no sense to me. the other way around (les paul with gretch pickup, esp in the neck position does make sense (jan akkerman played one like that for a while).
anyway, two the same pickups on any guitar seem silly. get some variation!
smetak
Sinamsis wrote:
smetak
That's awesome. Good for you! I'm embarrassed that as a guitarist, I didn't truly know my instrument for a very long time. Honestly I still don't completely. I would love to do something like that some day!

Quite nice, mate!

Very therapeutic.

Was really in need of something like this - working with wood, something I did in my teens and wanted to get back to ever since.

The art of trimming, carving and cutting things at a very slow, steady pace, trying your hand on precision and patience - works wonders on your concentration and takes your mind off from everyday tyranny.

I live, or attempt to live, in a very rough country, with a harsh reality, and this has been a mental oasis.

Highly recommended!
Northward
smetak wrote:
Enrolled in a luthier workshop to get my mind off from everyday duggery.

Bought a cheap Eastwood Two Tone Airline with a Bigsby trem to work upon.

Remaking the entire thing, adding a new neck plate, with only a volume and tone knob for both pickups and rerouting the output jack from the plate, directly to the wooden body - and while at it, got a pair of used TV Jones pickups - coming out quite nice.

Its a short scale guitar and perfect to play Marc Ribot solos, Thurston Moore tunings and even a few Nels Cline chops (even though its not a Jazzmaster nor a Jaguar).

Good stuff

The Eastwood Two Tone Airline, isn't that a replica of a Davie Bowie guitar that they resently made a signature of?
Think it was Supra or some resurected brand..

Speaking of, it's a bit sad for a scandinavian to see a good old quality brand like Hagström guitars sold, bought and someone are now making bad quality copies of their history. The look is all that remains. I know cause I grew up with them around here where the grown up players praised they.
Northward
smetak wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:
smetak

Quite nice, mate!

Very therapeutic.

Was really in need of something like this - working with wood, something I did in my teens and wanted to get back to ever since.

The art of trimming, carving and cutting things at a very slow, steady pace, trying your hand on precision and patience - works wonders on your concentration and takes your mind off from everyday tyranny.

I live, or attempt to live, in a very rough country, with a harsh reality, and this has been a mental oasis.

Highly recommended!

There is something very Zen over what you're describing. Made me think about this book title
Northward
Sinamsis wrote:
cretaceousear
My 5422 had the blacktop Filtertrons. Not sure if they're the same. But I hated them. Haha, it goes to show how personally these things are. I'm much happier with my TV Jones. I feel like there's more clarity in the sound.

Northward
I'm not sure about jangly. Ha, I find that we used a lot of abstract terms in the world of guitar and I don't always understand them. So like for me, jangly is associated with Rickenbackers. Twangy is a tele. Haha, the guy that sold the TV Jones to me said he found them to make the guitar sound to "acoustic," I don't know what that means. Here's a half finished recording I used the 5422 on. It's the main guitar through the whole thing. Unfortunately it's the only thing I've recorded with it so far as I've been focusing on more synth based stuff lately.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/sinamsis/091017-revised[/s]

Thanks for the music man smile

The TV Jones are def clear sounding. But with empezised brightness over warmth I do get a bit of thet "jangely" wibe. Not 12 string Richenbacker, but still more stringy sounding. I guess that is something I'm a bit torn about. I like that Humbucker warmth for neck. And with strong effects I'd like the guitar to sound like something else.. just a tool for textures and pads. I dislike the Telecaster twangy neck for modulation as well. Maybe I need just a clear single coil bridge PU without too much character.. Maybe a Hofner Blade type..

I think I may have just stated the obvious hehe.. -why so many guitarist have so many guitars.. hihi

I've seen Martin Gore play Gretches exclusevly live. I know he dig their look, usure if he customize the pickups.

Anyone whom have heard the Creamery '13 custom Humbuckers?
Bernard Sumner of Joy Division / New Order
https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/custom-13-dirty-northern-humbucker- set.html
smetak
Yep, that's it.

[/img]

And he even added a Bigsby.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 3 of 7