MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Advice / input on new guitar purchase...(evolving subject)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Advice / input on new guitar purchase...(evolving subject)
smetak
Northward wrote:

There is something very Zen over what you're describing. Made me think about this book title

Right on!

Read the book years ago!
Northward
smetak wrote:
Northward wrote:

There is something very Zen over what you're describing. Made me think about this book title

Right on!

Read the book years ago!

Thought so. Is it good? My proffesor at University gave it a warm recommendation, but as I'm bit dyslectic I haven't read many books really. I love soundbooks though, and it has been on my list since then.

...and the Bigsby is my only dislike about that model. Shoegazing with a Bigsby... computer says no...
I really like the look. Never saw Bowie with one. Besides the whole signature thing - it's cool. How was the quility from fractory?
smetak
Northward wrote:
smetak wrote:
Northward wrote:

Right on!

Read the book years ago!

Thought so. Is it good? My proffesor at University gave it a warm recommendation, but as I'm bit dyslectic I haven't read many books really. I love soundbooks though, and it has been on my list since then.

...and the Bigsby is my only dislike about that model. Shoegazing with a Bigsby... Computer says no...
I really like the look. Never saw Bowie with one. Besides the whole signature thing it's cool. How was the quility from fractory?

I read the book centuries ago - when I was in my late teens/early 20s, sometime in the 80s, when life was easier, more innocent and simple, when everything seemed like endless opportunity.....made a good deal of sense then. As well as Beat lit - On the Road, Coney Island of the Mind, interviews with John Giorno & Lou Reed, the weirdness of Burroughs and so on - but that's all in the very distant past. Today, just a good deal of bills to pay and unwanted responsabilities, attempting to survive in the tropics.

As for the Eastwood - I bought it relatively cheap - but the original owner did his own mods on it - and did add a Bigsby - the original model comes just with a fixed bridge. Thought about reinserting the bridge, but came to like the retro-style looks of the bigsby, which really does light up the guitar as a whole.

Although, due to the vibrato, changed the original tuners for Gotohs and will have to reroute the tone and volume knobs (and did trim the controls, from four to only two knobs for both pickups) and will have to drill an opening for the output jack. The guitar, per say, is decent, reasonably built, with a very comfortable, thick neck - my biggest criticism is having everything added to the neckplate, which seems a bit flimsy; for the price - you can find a used one for about US$450 - I don't see how you can go wrong.

Like everyone, thought about a Jazzmaster - but wanted something a tad different - shoegazing with a jaguar or jazzmaster has become overkill. Thoguht about a new Danelectro, but was too expensive around here and difficult to import, so got the Eastwood instead, which I'm steadily working on. So far, happy with the results.
Rex Coil 7
Here's a Warmoth based axe. It began life as an alder Tele with a Padouk neck. I have a neck injury that gets in my way when playing a guitar ... if my right elbow is ~kicked outward~ (like when you're playing an acoustic) my neck begins screaming at me, and doesn't stop for about a week.

I noticed that playing a Gibson Explorer or a Flying V, or my Dean ML my neck doesn't bug me at all. It has to do with my elbow not being forced forward due to the body shape. So I drew a line on the Tele body and took a saw to it. Now it has an Explorer top profile and a Tele bottom profile.

It is called The Shredbilly.

No finish at all (neck or body) other than oiling them down twice per year with furniture oil. I LOVE LOVE the Padouk neck with a Strat head. It sounds like Maple, and feels like Bubinga (that sortof waxy, slick feel that your hand doesn't get hung up on at all). Stainless frets ... they took a while to "play in" but once they do those frets are so slick that bends are nearly effortless. Black Macassar Ebony fretboard. Warmoth's dual stainless neck struts wit that tricked out adjustment gizmo.

All stainless everything ... string ferrules, pickguard screws, "dumbell style" string trees, neck plate, strap buttons, neck screws ... all stainless Calahamm stuff. Gotoh brass bridge, Planet Waves self trimming/locking tuners (those things rock!).

Pickups are Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders with coil taps. The two pots are "pop up" switching types. To make them switch, you just push down on the knob and the pot ~pops up~ into the switch's next throw. So, knobs UP = coils not tapped (LOUD!) .... knobs DOWN = coils tapped (standard Tele impedance and resistance levels). Knobs are standard Tele tone and volume setup.

It's ugly as a mud fence, and purists want to pull their hair out when they see it. I catch six loads of shit from them ... "you've RUINED a perfectly good Telecaster!!!" .... "you should be shot!" .... "people like you shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a guitar or a saw!!!" ....

Redneck

Haahaa!!! I love it when they flip out like that. lol (pic taken just after final assembly before intonation was set).

I play it through a Marshall JTM45 head, a Marshall 2061 20 watt Lead/Bass head, and a Fender FM100H head. I have an amp switcher and a cab switcher (both DIY). The cabs are a 2x12 closed back 13 layer Birch ply with Celestion Greenbacks, and a 2x12 open back 13 layer Birch ply with Celestion Vintage 30s. Both are wired at 16 ohms. I also know a guy that makes fairly decent pedals that I use as well ....

Here's my 4 pickup Jazz bass .... this thing JAMS and is a total Ricky Killer!

As you can tell, I'm not afraid to take a chainsaw to my instruments.

In any case, I LOVE my Shredbilly, it can be the well mannered chickin picker with the knobs ~down~, and go straight to FEK YOU! just by pushing down on the knobs and allowing them to pop-up into full coil winding configuration which about doubles the output voltage (front knob-switch is for the neck pickup, back knob-switch is for the bridge pickup). Plays a dream too, that Padouk neck with stainless frets is really excellent. The upper body chop really works for me!

So .. (OP) .. go for it! Buy some Warmoth parts, and git ta bizzy with it already!!

thumbs up
smetak
Amazing DIY! Very impressive!
GovernorSilver
NIce pics, Rex Coil 7.

Did you design the Shredbilly to have a detachable top? Or was the top permanently removed?
Rex Coil 7
GovernorSilver wrote:
.... Did you design the Shredbilly to have a detachable top? Or was the top permanently removed?
Nope ... it's been chopped clean off for good ... I just placed the cut-off portion there in that picture to demonstrate how much was removed. Did it all with a jigsaw.

I then stuck a router bit in one of my drill presses and rounded off the freshly cut shoulders with a 1" radius. Maybe it was a 1/2" radius ... can't really recall. I just set the bit height so it was proper, turned on the motor and fed the body around against the router bit by sliding it around on the drill press table. It was a little scary with that router bit spinning just waiting to take a chunk of my fingers off. But, it worked fine. Sanded it down afterwards, applied some furniture oil .. called it done.

Now my arm lays right against my torso when I play, just as if I were playing a Flying V.

Happy.

GovernorSilver wrote:
NIce pics, Rex Coil 7.

smetak wrote:
Amazing DIY! Very impressive!

Thanks for the compliments fellas!!

thumbs up
Northward
Now that's a custom guitar.. Originality FTW! hihi

Makes perfect sense to shape the guitar corpus to the players corpus.
And dudes, I am quite surpriced to find such guitar passion on a site like Muffwiggler. Did not expect that at all. thumbs up

That pedal looks like army issue..
Rex Coil 7
Northward wrote:
Now that's a custom guitar.. Originality FTW! hihi

Makes perfect sense to shape the guitar corpus to the players corpus.
And dudes, I am quite surpriced to find such guitar passion on a site like Muffwiggler. Did not expect that at all. thumbs up
Thanks! A guitar is a tool, a tool that serves me, not the other way around. So I feel that modifying one to allow me to play better, for longer, and livelier, is a better tool.

Northward wrote:
That pedal looks like army issue..
Army issue you say!

lol

(I've unsubscribed - I'm not upset or having a Midol moment - just trying to keep my number of subscribed threads under better control - if you wish to correspond please feel free to send me a PM, I'll be happy to hear from you - thanks!)
GovernorSilver
Northward wrote:

That's one thing different about MW compared to other synth forums. This might be the only one where nobody assumes that because you're into synths, you must also be a keyboard player.

My first formal lessons were on the piano, but after one of my early college roommates taught me how to play guitar, I was hooked. 6-voice polyphonic analog string modeling synth - the appeal is obvious. wink
commodorejohn
I think when you get right down to it, a lot of us just like anything that lets us make interesting noises lol
forestcaver
Fixed it to describe me more accurately :-)

commodorejohn wrote:
a lot of us just like anything that lets us make noises lol
Northward
commodorejohn wrote:
I think when you get right down to it, a lot of us just like anything that lets us make interesting noises lol

Exactamundo! hihi
GovernorSilver
The Bowie Supro sounds pretty decent. They also demo it w/ Pigtronix pedals.

Now I have some GAS for a Supro baritone.
cretaceousear
Nice sounds Sinamsis on your 5422 with TV Jones - lovely clear tone. From everything I've heard though the BTs (yes they're the same) do sound different from Jets to the hollow bodies.
There are times the BTs get too narly but turn the volume down on the guitar and they clean up into jazz territory - I have a modeller amp and still surprised at some of the tone and sound variations you can get.

That's why the guitar is such a successful instrument - big range of sounds from different approaches. Hit hard hit soft, thick plectrum, very-thin plectrum. Guitar volume high /low, pickup variants, string weight. Maple, rosewood.
You lot know all that already!

Aren't those pedals your own RexCoil - from your previous life as pedal maker?
I like the tele!
There's a guitar looks like that isn't there - can't remember the name.. Italia or someone like that.
Northward
With the guitar savy people in this tread. I have a quite simple newb question here:

Can you make a Telecaster (neck) sound like a Les Paul with an identical PU?

I ask cause there is a lot of Youtube videos with this PU configuration, but I'm not hearing that varm "singing" strum you hear from a Les Paul. Am I being silly here, or is it the LP neck through construction, heavier mass that makes this sound..? E.g. the L&G Bluesboy have a SH config. and is a very popular model. But I really can't judge when Youtube is wallpapered with bloody blues licks. (sorry, I hate blues).

I'm sure there is heaps of Paf Humbucker lovers who prefer the comfort of a Tele over a Les Paul. But do they get the goods when swapping?

Thanks
commodorejohn
The Les Paul isn't neck-through, but set-neck. (I'm sure there's some esoteric guitars out there with neck-through construction, but for the most part it seems reserved for high-end basses.) It's also mahogany with a mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard, as opposed to the standard Telecaster alder (or ash) body plus maple neck and maple fretboard design, and furthermore they're different scale lengths and bridge constructions. There's just so many factors that it seems unlikely you're going to get one to sound exactly like the other.

That said, are you sure you're getting an apples-to-apples comparison with the pickups to begin with? If you're looking at demos of the Telecaster Deluxe with Fender's humbuckers (or something that's copying them,) those have quite a different sound from the Gibson design to begin with, so that may be a key difference here.
Northward
commodorejohn wrote:
The Les Paul isn't neck-through, but set-neck. (I'm sure there's some esoteric guitars out there with neck-through construction, but for the most part it seems reserved for high-end basses.) It's also mahogany with a mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard, as opposed to the standard Telecaster alder (or ash) body plus maple neck and maple fretboard design, and furthermore they're different scale lengths and bridge constructions. There's just so many factors that it seems unlikely you're going to get one to sound exactly like the other.

That said, are you sure you're getting an apples-to-apples comparison with the pickups to begin with? If you're looking at demos of the Telecaster Deluxe with Fender's humbuckers (or something that's copying them,) those have quite a different sound from the Gibson design to begin with, so that may be a key difference here.

I've tried to find the custom built Telecasters and not those Wide range stock (Deluxe 72) Fender ones, -which I think sound really clear and I don't know what to make of them (An attempt to make a hum free single coil sound..?)

I'm sure the heavier wood, mahogany or others must work better for the sustain.

So scale lengths affect sound...
If you eliminate that typical Telecaster bridge construction (sans twang if you will), and use a heavier wood, wouldn't the sound become more simular as well?
commodorejohn
It'd probably get you closer, yeah - the question is, if you did all that, would the rest of it still sound like a Tele?
Northward
That's really my inquiry. I thought pickup swap would change it all cause they're both solid body design.
commodorejohn
Nah, there's tons of factors. Pickups are a big one, of course, but so are pickup position on the scale length (put the same pickup in a different position on the same instrument and it's going to sound different,) tone qualities of the materials, etc.
Sinamsis
Yeah, there are a ton of features that play into tone (and sustain, which impacts over all playing style and final tone) from the bridge to the nut. The other thing to remember is Fender Widerange Humbuckers are not the same size as regular humbuckers. That said, in the reissues, they've potted shitty regular humbuckers into a widerange humbucker cover. The OTHER thing to note about the FWRH is that the magnets do not line up evenly with the strings. This may play a role in over all tone.

Also, before you decide you don't like the widerange humbucker tone (which was initially developed to compete with the Gibson humbucker sound while not losing the Fender twang), you need to hear a "real" FWRH, not the Fender reissue non-sense. By real I mean the real deal or a more authentic clone like Novak, Fralin or several others.

I'm a Fender design fanboy so take everything I say with a grain of salt. Haha, I've never once wanted a Les Paul. I've considered SGs, but I hate the Gibson scale. I just generally prefer Fenders in terms of feel. I'm pretty happy with the tone I've been getting. I didn't go into it saying I wanted this tone or that. I think trying different guitars has taught me what I like. You can't try everything I guess. But reading a bit you'll find things you might like. And trying them out, you'll know for sure. I think the end result is probably the least important part of the process if that makes any sense. It's everything in between that teaches you so much. And building your guitar from parts, you learn even more. And you might not feel so bad switching out parts that you don't like.
GovernorSilver
Now you know why peeps who want a Tele sound and a Les Paul sound end up getting both types of guitars.
felixer
but then there are many les pauls with a maple neck (still a shorter scale). and a big one is the whole bridge construction. and a real lp custom doesn't have a maple top. etc etc etc. even if you built two guitars from the same tree and all other factors are the same they would still be different guitars.
but you can get pretty close in getting one sound or another by getting a smart selction of pickups.

carrying more guitars then a spare seems to gave gone out of fashion. even on studio recordings i don't hear as much variation in guitarsounds thru an album as there used to be in the past.
commodorejohn
felixer wrote:
carrying more guitars then a spare seems to gave gone out of fashion. even on studio recordings i don't hear as much variation in guitarsounds thru an album as there used to be in the past.

Yes, well, you don't hear as much modular synthesizer on an album as there used to be either, and look where we're posting wink
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 4 of 7