MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

PLEASE school me on my first planned rack ;)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author PLEASE school me on my first planned rack ;)
Roge Piltoney
tldr: here's my planned rack. Let me know what you think/give me advice on superfluous or sorely needed modules. Any modules you think I should get hip to? BugBrand!

After months of pretty much daily research Eel Power FTW! meh. , I have come up with a tentative plan for my planned 6U 104hp modular. I don't think I've ever been more excited about something in my life, except for MAYBE the darth vader lego set when I was 11. I would love to hear what you guys think of my plan before I pull the plug. From what I've seen on this forum (after much lurking), people here are more than helpful smile

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/664435

In general, I chose modules that inspired me, and based my choices solely on musical grounds. I generally am drawn towards creating environments and complex rhythms, with electronics. Ambient, generative, evolving, subtle, dark, long-form, abstract, layered, as well as minimalist, repetitive, iterative, polyrhythmic, contrapuntal - these are all words I'd use to describe my current musical interests (not that I claim to be able to embody them all super well).

I am also interested in creating aphex twin- and steve reich-level complexity in terms of rhythms (and in the latter's case especially, harmony (though I'd say Richard D.J. is more than capable of insane (microtonal) harmonies)), but am unsure how to proceed with that. I am not particularly interested in 808-type percussion - I like the idea of making my own percussion sounds from scratch or at least having them be more organic-sounding (i know, subjective). Would my oscillators/0-coast work for that stuff, or do I need something like Basimilus or Akemie's Taiko or DFAM to really get into that? I figured that getting an adequate percussion setup would require an entirely different set of modules that I might as well save up for in a separate skiff or something. Is that incorrect? (I'd rather not have to do that). What about harmony? Do i just need a million VCO's?

I already have:
beatstep pro, 0-coast, moogerfooger cp251* (+dozens of adapters), various pedals (why I have the hendrikson - I also want to process guitar and bass and voice into the modular), a moogerfooger low-pass filter pedal (why I don't have a filter), minilogue, boredbrain patchulator, maths+clouds in the mail MY ASS IS BLEEDING

*2 attenuators, CVable tri+squ LFO, S&H, Noise, Mixer w/ offset and pos/neg output, mult, slew limiter

Modules I am considering but am unsure if I'd need/am ready for:
Doepfer quad LFO (a-143-3), moddemix, Tempi, ginkosynthese ttlfo, rotating, clock divider, shuffling clock divider, PEG, QPLFO, a-143-9 (quadrature lfo), a-140 adsr, Erica synths polivoks EG II or Modulator II, uLFO

There are of course many more complex modules that I'll probably get in the future (telharmonic, three sisters, cold mac, akemie's taiko, stages, streams, tides, rene, etc.) but they all seem very deep and I feel like I already have a bunch of deep modules like maths and clouds and turing machine that it might be overwhelming for my first foray into oblivion Dead Banana If you are to suggest a module, I'd prefer that it is on the simpler side of things - knob-per-function, not super complex sort of thing. I really don't like hidden features/menu-diving, it doesn't work with my flow, and for me doesnt gel with the tactile nature of synthesis. That's just me though. It is for this reason I'm not too attracted to things like the Disting or ornament and crime or Pamela's new workout. I am, however, open to anything, and will accept small amounts of menus or hidden features.

Thank you all so much for helpin me out. It's peanut butter jelly time!

Cheers,
Your dearest chum Sir Roge Piltoney
danishchairs
Roge Piltoney wrote:
I am not particularly interested in 808-type percussion - I like the idea of making my own percussion sounds from scratch or at least having them be more organic-sounding (i know, subjective). Would my oscillators/0-coast work for that stuff, or do I need something like Basimilus or Akemie's Taiko or DFAM to really get into that?

Hello! I won’t try to answer all your questions, but yes, you can make your own percussion sounds with an oscillator and a trigger or short-enough gate. The O-coast and Beatstep Pro will get you started (and you might not even need the Beatstep Pro). A filter can add depth and complexity, but it is optional if all you want is something simple, at least to start with. And of course, there’s lots of room to grow in this area.

Best wishes!
atte
Hi and welcome!

A pico drums (with programmer so you can load your own modular percussion creations) or tt one would add a lot in the rhythm department.

Someting like radio music will add long and complex raw material, either as a basis for percussion, harmony or going into clouds.

Another option instead of a filter is a LPG, I love the RYO aperture. LxD is another option, but that would need some attenuation to really shine.

Nice call on the zlob vca, it’s often overlooked, but very nice and compact.

The BSP will do a lot. If you for instance think of gates as hi/lo signals that can be mixed to form melody or drive the TM at irregular intervals, there’s a lot of depth in the BSPs individual step lengths.
npseaver
Standard advice: buy one at a time (after the initial handful), and let your feeling of what's lacking at any moment drive the next purchase. These things evolve, and you can really dig into stuff. (Clouds, for instance, takes some attention—it's definitely more menu-y and hidden featurey than something like Stages, which is quite straightforward [and IMO a good idea for a small rack, as it can let you do things like sequencing, sample and hold, and LFOs, in addition to the envelope stuff].)

Seconding the LPG suggestion, too—super useful to have at the start, as it covers you for VCA and filter duties for a while, gives you those organic sounds, etc. I like my Optomix, but if I was acquiring a bunch of modulation sources and attenuation at the same time I could have gone for an LxD.

The Doepfer LFO you have in there seems huge for the space you'll have (something like Stages or Batumi would give you more bang for your HP, if not buck).

On the Turing Machine, have you seen the new Grayscale Permutation series? The 12HP one gets you what the OG Turing + Pulses does (I think), in a bit less space. If you're committed to that size, you'll want to get HP stingy eventually. (Relatedly: are you planning to rack the 0-Coast? You could leave it out.)

If I'm reading your genre prefs right, I think they're close to mine, and I think you'll want more random than just the sequence out of the TM and its noise output. Maybe Wogglebug, but also potentially something like the Triple Sloth, if you're into slowly evolving stuff...

And I'll be keeping my eyes on this thread because I have similar rhythmic desires to you and haven't quite figured out how to do it in a way that feels generative/modular, rather than just like drum machine programming.
bodydouble
Quick note about the Bermuda: I owned it for a few weeks and was very bummed by its tracking abilities, but perhaps you're aware of its limitations there.

Stayed consistent only across the middle 2 octaves, if that...and the "self mod" control throws it out of tune immediately. Not a huge issue if you're making fiercely atmospheric or atonal music, but I found it limiiting even while making ambient/drone patches.

I've heard good things about the Noise Reap LFO you've got there, though.

Are you planning on racking the 0-Coast?
MindMachine
Good modules. Assuming that you will get these all at once... while fun to consider your next choices, you will change your mind a hundred times. In fact if you buy them all at once you will likely be overwhelmed and then try to find the missing module that will have it all make sense. Maybe not.

I would start with half of that. See what's what and go from there. And then there will be more new stuff to make choices even harder. Although it looks like you have a pretty good idea of function there.

As your rack is constructed it makes sense. Covers a lot of things. The Richter VCO II is an amazing VCO (and VCLFO). Also, the Doepfer A-145 is a great LFO. I have two, because I have room. It should be good to start with and maybe after a while you will want more complexity from an LFO, but maybe not.

The only things I would add at this point are multiples and attenuators or attenuvertors. You will need some attenuation.

Have fun. I think the choices you have are straightforward enough where you should be good to start.
Aja
[quote="bodydouble”]
I've heard good things about the Noise Reap LFO you've got there, [/quote]

I can vouch for it; it does exactly what it’s supposed to. I actually bought it to modulate my 0-Coast before I had anything else.
andybizarre
Make sure you get the QCD Expander, it`s mandatory. Input attenuversion, trigger-gate conversion, trigger delay, shuffles, wacky rhythms... The QCD really shines with the expander.
JonathanBedrava
Another +1 to the LPG suggestion. The MakeNoise LxD produces works well as a VCA and filter, and can produce some good percussion sounds with the strike input.
uniquepersonno2
You’re rack is very different from mine and my goals so I won’t be much help here, but I do have two suggestions. First, having multiple filters is never a bad thing. Check out Doepfer’s filters (all very inexpensive and great, my favorites are the wasp and the sem) and the cinnamon. Having one in the rack may help with ease of use and workflow as well. Second, this may be sacrilegious, but having owned both, I’d strongly reccomend looking at the new nebulae over clouds. You get a lot more from the nebulae in my opinion, and I find it much easier to use.
savethisrocketship
Modulation sources are a very personal preference sort of thing but I would think that if you want to focus on percussion type sounds then you may want more EGs/Function generators... Maths is obviously great for this but sometimes you don't want to have to tie it up doing really basic things... Quadra & Pip Slope are two great options but there are a lot of great choices in this arena depending on budget & size limitations.
atte
Pip slope... I (and others) dont really gel with it's response, Quadra is great, might want to look at descent, it's dual with inputs normalled and cv over decay:
https://www.sonic-potions.com/shop/?product=descent-double-decay
Roge Piltoney
Thank you all so much for your input! I have updated the my modulargrid after taking in a lot of your input:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/682491

Let me know what you guys think of it!

Quote:
I would start with half of that. See what's what and go from there.

I definitely have thought about this, and trust me I started out with a much more ambitious rack (+ the telharmonic, akemies taiko, three sisters, cold mac, etc) and had narrowed it down as much as I could. But what you say makes sense for sure, I'm certain I'll be constantly doubting myself and changing my mind. What do you think I could part with/replace with something simpler/save for later?

Quote:

The only things I would add at this point are multiples and attenuators or attenuvertors. You will need some attenuation.

I forgot to mention I also have a moogerfooger cp-251.
is the SSSR 2x4 mult + 1x4 mult on the cp251 + the RYO 4x attenuators + 2x attenuverters/attenuators on the CP251 not enough? the mixer section on the CP-251 can also be used as 4x attenuverters/attenuators.

Quote:

but I would think that if you want to focus on percussion type sounds then you may want more EGs/Function generators...

Good point I added the PEG - I really want to have CV control over the parameters of the envelope.

Quote:

might want to look at descent, it's dual with inputs normalled and cv over decay

What exactly is a decay envelope? Is it just an AD envelope with a fixed attack?
williamjturkel
You might consider Ornament and Crime - it includes sequencers, quantizers, shift registers, crazy envelopes and much more. It is great for getting very musical results with a small handful of other modules. It does involve a bit of menu diving but you soon learn how to use the modes you like, and the other ones are there to explore on a rainy day.

And yes, a decay envelope has a short, fast attack.
JoeFuture
A few thoughts...

For homemade percussion, look at the SSF Entity Percussion module or the Noise Engineering BIA.

Consider swapping Clouds for a uBurst, same functionality in only 8hp.

+1 to the Ornament and Crime. You can get a mini one in 8hp too. It has great quantizing features as well as Turing Machine modes, etc.
gentle_attack
A couple of concerns:

0-Coast doesn't just pop in to a euro case, requires modifications to the box and some mods to work off a power supply. You could just as easily leave it in front of the rack like the BSP, but I didn't see you mention that anywhere.

MF-101 in my experience is designed for guitar to line level signals, and even with the gain/drive all the way down, will clip if you run a eurorack oscillator into it. It will still work in most cases at modular level, but will not necessarily be clean, and isn't really meant to weave in and out of Eurorack (If I'm not mistaken it predates Eurorack standard and came out when Moog wasn't producing any modular, Dark Ages if you will!). Even if you have the attenuation and modules to jump back up to modular level, I will all but guarantee that gets old quick. MF-101 is clunky as hell, you're stepping into the future, and honestly you could almost sell your MF-101, and get a Mother 32 which has the Ladder filter, designed for Euro levels, plus a bunch of utility, another quirky sequencer with ratcheting which sounds like it might work with your musical tendencies, another LFO, another Oscillator...

You're definitely going to wish you have more modulation, almost immediately. Quadra, PEG, another MATHS, Pam's new workout, ...

DUAL BORG is another hybrid vca/lpg/lpf that has two distinct channels, and is a more flexible (although possibly more hp and $) than Optomix or LxD.In 2018 it's a bit forgotten but it does have a lot of nice sounds and might work for you!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1