MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Strymon Magneto: Shift Mode
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Strymon Magneto: Shift Mode
mdoudoroff
I’ve been spending a lot of time with the SHIFT mode of Magneto, and it’s a sufficiently deep topic that it seems worthy of a branch discussion. (As of this post, I haven’t even begun to look at using SHIFT with LOOP or SAMPLE—just ECHO mode so far.)

This is a basic SHIFT demo using relatively short note bursts:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/mdoudoroff/test-magneto-in-shift-mode[/s]

This demo doesn’t thoroughly explore changes to the feedback; it’s really just showing how the different heads are behaving, and how rotation (trigger to SHIFT jack) affects the mix.

On this next clip there’s no Magneto to be heard until 2:19. Nothing fancy is going on: the main takeaway is that sparse input (the slow melody) is “ideal” for basic use of SHIFT because it keeps Magneto from getting too busy (counter-example below).

[s]https://soundcloud.com/mdoudoroff/shift-theme[/s]

Pretty sure I’m only using two playheads here: the two slowest.

On this next clip—which is a modification of the previous one—there’s no Magneto to be heard until 1:40. The relevantly “interesting” part of this sketch starts around 3:35, where the dry signal is pretty much gone and now all we’re listening to is Magneto. I gradually get all four heads involved (simply by turning up their dials) and things get pretty busy. Maybe in a good way?

[s]https://soundcloud.com/mdoudoroff/shift-theme-2[/s]

One thing about this one sketch is I enabled the Magneto’s quantizer and set it to harmonic minor. I think this may have helped to produce “harmoniousness”, but more research is needed!

On this next clip, which is from scratch, Magneto/shift is involved from the get-go: even some of the percussion is routed through it. The melodic input is a lot less sparse here: it‘s a rapidly pulsing sequence. This gets too busy very quickly—this particular take I’ve toned it way down from where I started—and I sort of use it as a crescendo around 1:50-2:00.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/mdoudoroff/shift-theme-3[/s]

(edited: removed my notes about shift jack, which were wrong)
taylor12k
replying to subscribe.. a part of the magneto i haven't even touched yet... eager to learn more.
ben_hex
taylor12k wrote:
replying to subscribe.. a part of the magneto i haven't even touched yet... eager to learn more.

Likewise on both fronts. Mr. Green
insoul8
Really great examples so far! Can’t wait to see where this thread goes.
SCOOBA_TANK
KILLER! I just got my Magneto in a short time ago. I’ll be keeping my eyes glued to this tread. Thanks for the awesome examples!
mdoudoroff
So, the various diagrams in the Magneto manual were messing with my head in the context of shift mode. As I understand it, when you’re in shift mode, it’s more like having four separate tape machines, each running at a different speed, with various I/O connectivity including a shared feedback path.

So I’ve attempted to make a new diagram specifically for shift mode in order to understand it better. Hopefully I got it pretty much right! If not, I’ll update it and edit this post accordingly.

Mashmore

Thought I’d contribute to the cause. First time I have actually hit the record button for a somewhat proper recording in well over a year.

I am using the far right pad on the four bricks rook to manually engage shift mode. And the pad next to that is triggering the reverse of the magneto. I am still exploring shift mode but it is very playable and at times reminds me of a count to five pedal just not as chaotic. The magneto is being clocked via Pam’s at 80bpm with a /8 clock division.

Left pad is just friends and second pad is twin waves and plaits. All going to three sisters then nebulae then magneto.
nrg242
[quote="Mashmore"]

i really enjoyed the sparseness of the hits here. seems to be key to really capturing all the subtleties of magneto.
taylor12k
sounding great.... trying to decipher the patch a bit... im not familiar with the Rook (seems to be some sort of trigger device (obviously))... but i also notice you don't have any of the feedback buttons engaged on the magneto and your feedback knob isn't too far up... so is shift mode basically acting like 4 independent pitched delays? (not loops in this case)..

is the routing SERIAL or PARALELL on shift mode?

Mashmore wrote:
insoul8
Kind of unrelated, but how are you guys recording the audio for your videos?
mdoudoroff
taylor12k wrote:
sounding great.... trying to decipher the patch a bit... im not familiar with the Rook (seems to be some sort of trigger device (obviously))... but i also notice you don't have any of the feedback buttons engaged on the magneto and your feedback knob isn't too far up... so is shift mode basically acting like 4 independent pitched delays? (not loops in this case)..

For one thing, I think you’re not seeing the feedback buttons lit because he has the transport button engaged (the red light below them).

insoul8 wrote:

I think there are really only three general options:

A. you record ambient audio with the mics on your camera
B. you have a camera with audio in jacks
C. you record the audio separately (to DAW or whatever) and then marry the audio to the video later

I do the third, but I’ll usually record the ambient audio, too, because that can sometimes be used to auto-align the high quality audio track during post.
Mashmore
mdoudoroff wrote:
taylor12k wrote:

For one thing, I think you’re not seeing the feedback buttons lit because he has the transport button engaged (the red light below them).

Spot on. All four playheads had feedback activated. I kept it in transport so there was a visual cue as to when i was toggling the reverse effect with the 3rd pad.

Thanks for starting this thread. Shift mode was something i needed to spend more time with and this nudged me in that direction.

insoul8 wrote:

I think there are really only three general options:

A. you record ambient audio with the mics on your camera
B. you have a camera with audio in jacks
C. you record the audio separately (to DAW or whatever) and then marry the audio to the video later

I do the third, but I’ll usually record the ambient audio, too, because that can sometimes be used to auto-align the high quality audio track during post.

I used option C. After recording this video i am officially on the hunt for a stereo interface for the iPhone 8 with the lighting jack, Leaning towards the roland go mix. Its funny that it is 2018 and stereo input for the iPhone still isn't a thing. if anyone has a cheaper way I'm all ears.
mdoudoroff
Quantized speed in shift mode!

[s]https://soundcloud.com/mdoudoroff/magneto-shift-quantized[/s]

Here there’s merely a simple triangle pulse going to into Magneto. Everything else is Magneto. Modes: Quantized (harmonic minor), Echo Shift, LRLR. Magneto is also clocked at about one trigger per second.

The sequence is a simple four step job, run into the Speed input on Magneto. There’s some glide between two of the steps. Because why not?

Initially, all the heads are turned down, with no feedback, so we just hear the pulse. Then I start turning up the heads, still with no feedback. Eventually, I start playing the feedback buttons, before breaking all back down again.

Aside: I noticed that Magneto was wigging out (warbling?) a bit if my sequencer (Komplex) was patched straight to the Speed input. This effect went away if I ran the CV through a buffmult first. Must investigate further.
Roy72
Thanks, now I finally want one. Music for airports here we come.
hawkfuzz
This thread has had me looking into this thing all day long.
The Disquiet
Strymon, get your act together and ship a new batch of this stuff to Europe already seriously, i just don't get it
Armstrb
I think there is an option D) where you combine multiple audio and video sources in the computer using streaming software like OBS Studio but then direct it to a file instead of Twitch/ YouTube, etc.
mdoudoroff
[s]https://soundcloud.com/mdoudoroff/magneto-shift-loop[/s]

This is a SOS looper test using Magneto in SHIFT mode. The input is four steps of random quantized notes from an E352 followed by twelve steps of silence so we can hear what Magneto does with it. I used a clock divider to perfectly tap in and out once (to set the length of the loop to four steps). I’m also clocking Magneto: for most of the clip, I’m at /4, but toward the end, I raise that clock first to /2 and then to 1X.

Initially, you’re pretty much just hearing the dry signal.

(0:10) Then I bring up tap 4, then tap 3, then tap 2, then tap 1.

(0:46) Then I play the feedback switches for taps 1-3 for a short while.

(1:24) Then I engage a four step sequence that modulates SPEED. Quantization is enabled on Magneto (I don’t recall the scale—not that important here). Note how warbling happens sometimes when speed changes coincide with note events in the feedback loop.

(3:16) Finally, more playing of feedback switches and the goofing with the clock signal mentioned above until it crescendoes into a loud mess.
mdoudoroff
Another SHIFT experiment:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/mdoudoroff/magneto-shift-sequenced-send[/s]

This one shows using Magneto’s Shift mode to create a periodic clamorous burst simply by gating the audio sent to Magneto.

The part that is (briefly, occasionally) routed to Magneto is the simple melody (E352).

-----

Sort of at the other extreme, the first two thirds of this next sketch shows an application for shift mode where Magneto is clocked very slowly and fed a drone (that changes pitch from time to time). In this case, all four heads are turned up, and the third and fourth heads have feedback enabled.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/mdoudoroff/le-beau-melange[/s]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1