MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Help mimicing Magneto's Shift mode in Ableton
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Help mimicing Magneto's Shift mode in Ableton
abelovesfun
Hello,

I really like the demos for magneto, especially the shift mode, but one thing kept me from pulling the trigger (aside from the price):

In shift mode, the four "heads" of the delays have fixed pitch shifting, and rythmic delay:

Head 1: +1 octave+5th; 3x speed playback
Head 1 runs at triple speed and is heard playing back 3x for every cycle of the delay time, with an offset of 1/3 of the delay time.
Head 2: +1 octave; 2x speed playback
Head 2 runs at double speed and is heard playing back 2x for every cycle of the delay time, with an offset of 1/2 of the delay time.
Head 3: -1 octave; half speed playback
As Head 3 is playing back at HALF speed, this head always plays back once on the beat every 2 cycles of the delay time.
Head 4: No shift; quarter note repeats
Head 4 runs at normal speed without any shift and playsback once for every cycle of the delay time as standard quarter note delay. In LOOP and SAMPLE mode, this is the playback head for the recorded loop or sample.

I read that and thought, man, it would be great if I could change the pitches, I wonder why I can't. And then I thought: I bet I can make an Ableton rack that approximates that. So I set up a rack, with four delays, and three pitch shifters, and tried a simple arpeggiator and it sounded..... bad.

Any ideas on how to improve it? I think the weakness here is in the pitch shifting. Is there an OSX pitch shifter plugin that you think can do better?
Mr D
Check out Late Replies from Blue Cat Audio, i think this is the most advanced and tweakable delay plugin around and i'm sure it can closely approximate anything in Magneto and a whole lot more. It can even load 3rd party VSTs anywhere in it's signal chain, including inside the delay lines!

Personally i wouldn't buy a hardware delay unit when you have plugins with a lot more power and tweakability.

For the price of Magneto you could actually build a dedicated PC to load up plugins and use it as a dedicated outboard FX unit! I've kinda done this myself by getting an extra soundcard to act as the interface to these plugins, then i can effectively use them as a standalone unit.
DMR
There may be a way with multiple parallel instances of a Looper in a rack, which each set to pass only the looped, and not input audio? Changing the speed on the Looper device, which also changes the pitch, is probably closer to what Magneto is doing.
abelovesfun
DMR wrote:
There may be a way with multiple parallel instances of a Looper in a rack, which each set to pass only the looped, and not input audio? Changing the speed on the Looper device, which also changes the pitch, is probably closer to what Magneto is doing.

yeah, I can use a rack to do that quite easily, but in Shift mode, the mode I'm trying to replicate, it is not looped audio, it is a pitch shifted delay.
DMR
abelovesfun wrote:
DMR wrote:

yeah, I can use a rack to do that quite easily, but in Shift mode, the mode I'm trying to replicate, it is not looped audio, it is a pitch shifted delay.

You can setup Looper to act as a tempo synced delay, by putting it into overdub mode, then putting the overdub feedback to less than 100%. With the feedback decreased, older material will fade out of the looper buffer.
abelovesfun
Oooh cool looper trick!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1