MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Favourite Max 4 Live devices 2018
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Favourite Max 4 Live devices 2018
Richie Jape
Well Max 4 Live is great as we all know but if, like me you didn't start with Max ( i only came in on suite 9 ) it can be a bit daunting with the sheer amount of devices ...

what are your favourite max 4 live devices ?

Mine are ...

LFO ... so cool and useful especially on the 10 version the way you can map to multiple places - chaining these and having slow modulation is SlayerBadger!

Instant Haus ... used on non percussive elements this can bring some really nice head bopping sequences quickly into a track ... careful not to over use tho razz

Control Change 8 - which doesn't come with Max but is free to DL if you find it, can automate cc parameters to external gear - very cool with the oto boxes

ML-185 sequencer - i like to put this before the scale midi plugin and then just random it until you get something nice ...

Buffer Shuffler 2.0 - mangle audio in a very pleasing and rhythmic way - resample and start again - what fun ...

I've looked around the web to see if there were any tutorials going through all the max devices but i couldn't find any particularly in depth ...

what you like in Max 4 Live ?
hamildad
Quote:
Control Change 8 - which doesn't come with Max but is free to DL if you find it, can automate cc parameters to external gear - very cool with the oto boxes

You can do this with Vanilla Live as well cant you??

I do it all the time....
Richie Jape
hamildad wrote:
Quote:

You can do this with Vanilla Live as well cant you??

I do it all the time....

it provides you with 8 macro knobs which can be assigned to cc's ...

so then .... i use the aformentioned lfo device to automate the cc's going to the external stuffs ...

i dunno if you can do this in live by itself - perhaps you can ! but i ended up here anyway, it definitely wouldn't be the first time taking some longwinded route to do something relatively straightforward for me anyway if so Dead Banana
hamildad
hey, if the shit fits.... wear it...

I'm new to M4L but not new to Live or Max, so i'll be bookmarking this thread.

** note to anyone**

the way to do MIDI automation in Live is to create a clip in a MIDI lane and then go to envelope subpage of that clip, then unlink the modulation to the clip length and then draw in any length of modulation you want on any CC, so you can have a 2 bar midi clip with 8 bars of modulation...

the only issue is it'll reset to whatever the CC message is at the beginning of the clip, so in that way you can have user definable LFOs & envelopes that just cycle...
pottering
Wavepeek

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/4710/
Panason
The M4L MIDI CC devices are needed if you want to use the Push encoders to do the automation... because Ableton continue to suck and their fancy pad controller is poorly integrated.

It's the most important M4L plugin for me. I described in another thread here how to use Push and one of these devices to do Elektron-style parameter automation with the Push's step sequencers.

That, and the MIDI LFO and Envelope should have been a native part of Live from day one!
alexander92
While I love control change 8, i'm not really sure if the midi CC records in arrangement view? Can anyone confirm?

I got Polypin from isotonik, it's awesome. from the website:
- Probability for creating random chance based beats
- Euclidean for exotic polyrhythmic patterns
- Classic for retro 16 step sequencing.

it gives me cool drum patterns with minimal effort. As a matter of fact, I started using drum racks again due to this m4l plugin, cause I hate pencelling in my drums.

Polypin

Also this is quite cool, a -spinning- circle of fifths guide, quite handy if you're stuck while producing. Key Guide
Panason
alexander92 wrote:
While I love control change 8, i'm not really sure if the midi CC records in arrangement view? Can anyone confirm?

ah, this is one of the reasons why I keep saying that Ableton sucks.... When you use a Max device to create MIDI CC messages, Ableton records that as device automation and not as MIDI CCs... If you try to import a clip containing such automation (eg from a previous project) the automation does not get imported... Dead Banana

It should record in arrangement so long as automation recording is enabled and you should be able to see and edit the recorded automation if you select the Max device in the little automation lane chooser box for that track.

If you want to record the automation as standard MIDI CCs you need to create another MIDI track and feed it the MIDI output of the track containing the Max device. seriously, i just don't get it

I recommend recording the audio of your tweaking and working with that.... trying to arrange in Live with MIDI automation will likely be a real slog...
pottering
alexander92 wrote:

With "Control Change 8" you record the automation, since the whole point of it is using automation to drive MIDI CC. You can already record MIDI CC into a MIDI Clip without M4L, no need of Control Change 8 for that.

You can use another track to route and record its output, which is how most DAWs work.

Live (and most other DAWs I assume) has a established signal path, IMO it is pretty logical:

Input > Clips (recording) > MIDI FX > Instrument > Audio FX > Output.

(obs: Control Change 8 is a MIDI FX)

Changing the place of "Clips" in the signal path to after MIDI FX can obviously cause problems, so Live took the simpler approach, making recording the "dry" MIDI the default, and requiring user intervention for changing the signal path to record the "wet" MIDI (post MIDI FX).
pottering
I think people may be sleeping on the free "M4L Building Tools" Pack. It is full of cool usable small devices, not only building pieces.

For example "Max Api DeviceExplorer", it has a pretty cool randomizer that works with other M4L devices (not VSTs).

Since it is M4L devices, it can tell the types of the parameters, like if it is a "switch", "enum" or "slider" and it can also tell which parameters are gain parameters and leave those "unrandomized" (can turn off randomization per parameter too), so you can get far more usable random presets.
h4ndcrafted
Granulator is my fav, give it a good wave and it works magic. I fed it some SH-2 and got some amazing sounds.
pottering
There is a 25% sale for all the Packs until Aug 28.
Thinking on getting Pallas and maybe crossgrading to full Max...
Panason
Isotonik have some interesting Max devices. I tried the Frogger sequencer and it works great on the Push. It's the first device I have tried that extends Push's functionality within Live without game-breaking bugs and glitches.

Their Multi-Clip Editor looks great too, if editing notes with a mouse is something you do.
Moon Indigo
alexander92 wrote:

it gives me cool drum patterns with minimal effort. As a great matter of fact, I started using drum racks again due to this m4l plugin, cause I hate pencelling in my drums.

Polypin
]

Bought Polypin based on this recommendation. Hitting Randomize insta-crashes Live 10.0.2 (using Push 2). Disappointing. Have emailed Isotonik, hopefully they can resolve.
Soy Sos
Watching this topic.
alexander92
Moon Indigo wrote:
alexander92 wrote:

it gives me cool drum patterns with minimal effort. As a great matter of fact, I started using drum racks again due to this m4l plugin, cause I hate pencelling in my drums.

Polypin
]

Bought Polypin based on this recommendation. Hitting Randomize insta-crashes Live 10.0.2 (using Push 2). Disappointing. Have emailed Isotonik, hopefully they can resolve.

Sorry to hear that. Randomnize works fine for me. No crashes here, same version ableton, latest version of Sierra. I don't use Polypin in conjuction with Push. Though would be cool.

Since I got Polypin I always start it up first when creating new projects, it's especially usefull for drums, but also useful for synths, So far owning this and J74 progressive (latest version) makes me enjoy Live again. Lately other DAWs incorporate chord track, I think J74 progressive is really all you need for this. Especially with those clip modifiers, with this feature you can harmonize everything, basslines, melodies, drums, whatever. Works very well. J74 Progressive latest

But anyway, hopefully you'll get your problems sorted. Good luck,
Moon Indigo
alexander92 wrote:
Moon Indigo wrote:
alexander92 wrote:

Polypin
]

Sorry to hear that. Randomnize works fine for me. No crashes here, same version ableton, latest version of Sierra. I don't use Polypin in conjuction with Push. Though would be cool.

Since I got Polypin I always start it up first when creating new projects, it's especially usefull for drums, but also useful for synths, So far owning this and J74 progressive (latest version) makes me enjoy Live again. Lately other DAWs incorporate chord track, I think J74 progressive is really all you need for this. Especially with those clip modifiers, with this feature you can harmonize everything, basslines, melodies, drums, whatever. Works very well. J74 Progressive latest

But anyway, hopefully you'll get your problems sorted. Good luck,

Thanks. Was on El Capitain. Updating is long overdue, so doing that. Will see if it helps. Will check out J74.
pottering
I got Chaos Effects by Amazing Noises and just auditioned the presets, it is nasty in a very good way. Really like Dedalus Delay.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1