MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I did a thing - Criticism would be appreciated :)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author I did a thing - Criticism would be appreciated :)
Mikro93
Hi everyone,

I recently dove into the world of noise music. It isn't exactly my strong suit, bu t considering my setup (a bunch of Eurorack modules and pedals), I wanted to give it a go, and I did a thing.

Here is a link to listen to said thing. It is designed as an EP, with 5 pieces.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkqew755c5xh3i8/IDE_Album.mp3?dl=0

Thank you very much!
FetidEye
I like it!

from bubbly noise to haunting drones .
the last piece falls out of context a bit.
Mikro93
FetidEye wrote:
I like it!

Thank you very much, kind person smile

The last piece is a bit of a "relief" thing, more of a wink than an actual piece.
Mikro93
And now, this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uem9qm2lgewr0c8/IAN02.mp3?dl=0
mousegarden
FetidEye wrote:
I like it!

I think this attempt to categories things is a step back, like "noise music" Where does the music stop, and where does the noise begin, and where does the noise stop, and where does the music begin, and who is to decide what is noise and what is music? Cage has already addressed this, and if you've been involved in free improvisation you will know that after you have done that you will never hear the world in the same way again, or play in the same way again.
By putting things into boxes you are stopping some people from even opening the box, in their mind they've already come to a conclusion about what's inside, and we all know, that you "can't" categorise some things, and there are still surprises that defy definition.
Cybananna
mousegarden wrote:
FetidEye wrote:
I like it!

I think this attempt to categories things is a step back, like "noise music" Where does the music stop, and where does the noise begin, and where does the noise stop, and where does the music begin, and who is to decide what is noise and what is music? Cage has already addressed this, and if you've been involved in free improvisation you will know that after you have done that you will never hear the world in the same way again, or play in the same way again.
By putting things into boxes you are stopping some people from even opening the box, in their mind they've already come to a conclusion about what's inside, and we all know, that you "can't" categorise some things, and there are still surprises that defy definition.

For years I was an advocate of what you are saying. I would get so frustrated when people would say non melodic or the like was not music. Or saying was musical or not musical etc. at some point I gave up. If the majority says what I do isn’t music or not musical, then fuck music. I have no interest in it. I do think you’re right though.

Sorry OP, I derailed your thread.
Cybananna
Also, OP, I can’t get to the files from the link so I’ll try from my computer later. I’m interested in hearing.
MindMachine
^ Ditto. Got a 404.
mousegarden
Cybananna wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
FetidEye wrote:
I like it!

For years I was an advocate of what you are saying. I would get so frustrated when people would say non melodic or the like was not music. Or saying was musical or not musical etc. at some point I gave up. If the majority says what I do isn’t music or not musical, then fuck music. I have no interest in it. I do think you’re right though.

Sorry OP, I derailed your thread.

Trouble is I doubt my thoughts about this whole thing sometimes, nature has got noise covered, we are human beings, we are capable of a lot more. A symphony or a Bach organ work, a classic rock or Jazz album, anything traditionally musical is our unique human stamp on our existence, noise isn't, and sometimes I think that when I'm on my death bed breathing my last this is what I'll think, and all of my noise making days were a waste of time and an attemt to take the easy way out and be lazy.
Mind you, I only ever think like this if I'm really depressed, and down.
FetidEye
if you are not into experimental music, what are you rambling about here.. in the noise section. ?

All I hear from you here is this. I give the OP a compliment and some useful advice, you try to route this into a noise vs music discussion. I am not really sure why though. there was no question of category involved.
I just call these textures by some definitions of sound.

take it easy. noise is beautiful.

by the way, Mikro93. that second piece "ian02" is brutal! keep on going with this!!
mousegarden
FetidEye wrote:
if you are not into experimental music, what are you rambling about here.. in the noise section. ?

All I hear from you here is this. I give the OP a compliment and some useful advice, you try to route this into a noise vs music discussion. I am not really sure why though. there was no question of category involved.
I just call these textures by some definitions of sound.

take it easy. noise is beautiful.

by the way, Mikro93. that second piece "ian02" is brutal! keep on going with this!!

I was giving you both sides of my coin, the reason why I stopped playing on the noise/free-improv circuit was because of inverted snobbery, I love "sound" all sound can be music, as we know, but the use of the word noise to describe any "organised sound" I find a bit insulting TBQH, but not as bad as when certain people say "tunes" or "tune" when referring to any type of music, it sort of devalues music to describe it like that.
FetidEye
well, like I said, I use the word noise as a sound identifier. not as a category
I don't really like categories. They can be useful if you are searching for music. but not for setting boundaries.
Although, if you need a word to specify the sounds , noise is a good word (in my opinion)

If you are offended by the word, maybe that is your thing.

And to keep on topic. what do you think of the tracks of Mikro93?
mousegarden
FetidEye wrote:
well, like I said, I use the word noise as a sound identifier. not as a category
I don't really like categories. They can be useful if you are searching for music. but not for setting boundaries.
Although, if you need a word to specify the sounds , noise is a good word (in my opinion)

If you are offended by the word, maybe that is your thing.

And to keep on topic. what do you think of the tracks of Mikro93?

Mikro93...?

I like it, I also like Work Death, the balance between pure "noise" and what I would call traditional musical elements is more to my liking regarding Work Death, but I like the almost sublimnimal elements in Mikro's stuff.
Mikro93
Hi everyone,

Apologies for the dead link. Here is the new one, for the exact same soundfile:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkqew755c5xh3i8/IDE_Album.mp3?dl=0

My two cents on the subject: I am not at all used to producing noise music, and I certainly don't find it being the easy way out. I spend quite some time training my ear and mind to listen to HNW and other experimental music, and to produce some. In an era where so many things have been done musically, and with my background of jazz, orchestral and electronic pop music, noise music is a new approach to sound - new to me, this is probably not very different to Schaeffer et al.'s musique concrète.

Please keep these comments going, I find them most interesting, and no worries for the derailing. And of course, criticism on the pieces is appreciated smile

And @FetidEye: thank you for the kind words regarding the second piece smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 1