MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

analog sequencers?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author analog sequencers?
odditymedium
what interesting analog sequencers are out there?

i know of

GRP r24
MFOS (can i get these anywhere anymore)

anything else?
huffnPuff
The new R*S Serge SEQ8XL.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/random-source-serge-sequencer-8-xl-seq8x l
huffnPuff
The GRP Looks very digital to me. The user interface does not make it analog if it was implemented digitally - With its feature set that’s most probably the case.
I have the Doepfer Dark Energy and KORQ SQ-1, both are nice digital sequences with “analog” controls.
zeit
As far as the MFOS 16-step sequencer...if you DIY, or know someone who will, you can get the pcb set at http://synthcube.com/cart/music-from-outer-space/mfos-sequencers
odditymedium
but it isnt midi is it? only cv/gate?
zeit
Yes, just cv/gate
CoreInside
fenix 3, wish i hadnt sold mine hihi
but im happy with my 3 sh101 sequencers
suboptimal
Koma Komplex. It's one of my favorite studio tools.
odditymedium
does the zaquencer count?

i guess i meant more of 'screenless, hardware-only' sequencers... i dont really care whats under the hood (should i? i mean is there something more organic about analog ciruitry for sequencing?) as long as it spits out midi and cv...
huffnPuff
OK then, maybe I’m being too fussy smile

There’s the Archangel sequencer, it’s a feature rich “analog” sequencer that outputs quantized CV and MIDI
http://www.detachment3.com/products/archangel/

Then there’s SH-101 type sequencers that rely on keyboard input e.g. the Akai MAX MIDI keyboard has one that can output CV and gate as well as MIDI. It’s been discontinued but I’m sure there are similar contraptions on the market.
CoreInside
If we're including eurorack try gmsn sequencer + push button quantizer
ear ear
huffnPuff wrote:
There’s the Archangel sequencer, it’s a feature rich “analog” sequencer that outputs quantized CV and MIDI
http://www.detachment3.com/products/archangel/

The Archangel doesn't output MIDI, just MIDI clock. It is analog in the sense that it outputs analog voltages, but it isn't analog internally. Same with the MARF, for example, or Cirklon, etc.

Random Source are bringing out a Serge TKB that can do slides with the second row.

Yeah, you might find a true analog sequencer more 'organic', depending on what you want to do in terms of timing, audio-rate applications, or touch control.

What do you mean by a sequencer? For example, a bunch of LFOs, logic, etc. is a sequencer -- in a manner of thinking. Very analog and 'organic', in the sense that interesting and beautiful sequences can appear out of thin air.

You aren't going to find an analog sequencer (i.e. internally analog) spitting out MIDI; are you actually after a central, all-powerful 'studio brain' like a Cirklon or a MIDIbox?
huffnPuff
ear ear wrote:
The Archangel doesn't output MIDI, just MIDI clock.

Thanks, I stand corrected smile

ear ear wrote:
You aren't going to find an analog sequencer (i.e. internally analog) spitting out MIDI;

Or quantized CV, that is if you insist on a proper analog device (not the case with the OP).

OP, if you like the straightforward “analog” interface then the SQ-1 deserves a look. It’s anything but feature-rich but that’s the entire point. It’s also small, cheap and lots‘ofun.
oldgearguy
old school all analog some even with quantized outputs = ARP 1613, Analogue Systems TH-48, Polyfusion AS-1, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, Exclusively Analogue 16 step sequencer, Oberheim sequencer (from the Two Voice or as a standalone unit), Roland System 100's 104 sequencer.

There's probably more I forgot, but those are the ones I've owned and used (and remember). There's other more esoteric stuff like the ZEIT (good idea, horrible UI IMHO), but that's veering farther away from the analog look and feel you asked about.

Modern version - hands down the Koma Komplex is amazing.
milkshake
TH 48 what a beauty.
I got nr 029.

If you want analogue sequensing, the Doepfer A-155/155/154/156/152/166/160-1-2-5/161/150/151/162/163/165/167, make the best imo analogue sequencer.
kwaidan
The Doepfer MAQ 16/3 can send both MIDI and CV. Recently, I picked up an Analogue Solutions’ Oberkorn sequencer, which is pretty great, but it does not send MIDI out.

The Future Retro Orb is an interesting sequencer. It can send both MIDI and CV.
WaveRider
...I still like a pair of make noise pressure points as a great analog sequencer.
BTG
kwaidan wrote:
The Doepfer MAQ 16/3 can send both MIDI and CV. Recently, I picked up an Analogue Solutions’ Oberkorn sequencer, which is pretty great, but it does not send MIDI out.

Note the Oberkorn doesn’t have quantization.

The Future Retro Orb is an interesting sequencer. It can send both MIDI and CV.[/quote]
Rigo
milkshake wrote:
If you want analogue sequensing, the Doepfer A-155/155/154/156/152/166/160-1-2-5/161/150/151/162/163/165/167, make the best imo analogue sequencer.

I think you forgot the 150-8 hihi
Still on my list to add to my Doepfer sequencer universum.
ZLAL
I use a Koma Komplex, and Beat Step Pro, and a variety of euro format sequencers.
Alphaman
the good old MAM SQ16 Stepsequencer maybe?
mateo
The new pittsburgh sequencer? Or is that too digital?
JohnLRice
eek! No mention of the the great Moog 960 and clones yet?!?!?! seriously, i just don't get it hihi Available from:
Moog Music
Synthesizers.com
Club Of The Knobs
Mos-Lab

And then there is the Synthesizers.com Q119 and of course the great Moon Modular 569!

Drunken Homer Simpson Lotsa Love

There are other fine sequencers too. I tried to create a limited comparison of many 5U sequencers in the below thread for what it's worth although it's over due for updates and corrections:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146072
idontknow
Yeah I got the Polyfusion AS -1 and it's amazing.
It almost seems that global pitch changes when you turn one knob, but nope.
skkatter
The SND Sam-16 is great.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2