MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Magneto Problem(s)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Magneto Problem(s)
Gorsky
Hi, I think Magneto has few bugs & unclear behaviors, so let's solve them right here. Today I noticed that my Magneto behaves strangely & I think it shouldn't.
I've uploaded the latest firmware & there's zero modulations. What do you think guys? is it just a small bug, that will be fixed in the next firmware? or maybe my module is broken?

- https://youtu.be/4EzbgwSQaU8 -
brandonlogic
Watched the video, but you didn’t explain the problem you think your having?
What’s the issue?
The fact that you can hear feed back on heads that are turned down but are activated and the repeats knob is up? If so, I remember that being normal behavior of magneto, mine behaved the same way.
Gorsky
Sorry, I assumed that Magneto users knows all the functions of the module. Yes, I can hear the heads that ale FCCW with feedback button ON - I think it's oversight from Strymon.
brandonlogic
Gorsky wrote:
Sorry, I assumed that Magneto users knows all the functions of the module. Yes, I can hear the heads that ale FCCW with feedback button ON - I think it's oversight from Strymon.

it's not to say they don't.. its just, this is how they behave, its normal... it's how they designed it, for better or worse..

there is nothing wrong with your module.
mdoudoroff
The head level control has nothing to do with the feedback path. From the manual:

“NOTE: A head can be fed back to the input even if its PLAYBACK LEVEL knob is set to zero.”

Below is the block diagram. You can see the feedback line (blue) diverges prior to the level/pan section (green):

Gorsky
Ok, thanks guys! I have this module for 3 or 4 weeks and still explore it smile
soundslikejoe
mdoudoroff wrote:
The head level control has nothing to do with the feedback path. From the manual:

“NOTE: A head can be fed back to the input even if its PLAYBACK LEVEL knob is set to zero.”

Below is the block diagram. You can see the feedback line (blue) diverges prior to the level/pan section (green):

Hey M... according to that graph, a stereo input is summed to mono before processing. I guess it makes sense assuming the signal path and what I've heard before... but that seems surprising on some level. Would have been cool if the stereo input was split into the relative stereo output heads.
mdoudoroff
soundslikejoe wrote:
Hey M... according to that graph, a stereo input is summed to mono before processing. I guess it makes sense assuming the signal path and what I've heard before... but that seems surprising on some level. Would have been cool if the stereo input was split into the relative stereo output heads.

Would it? I really have no idea!
soundslikejoe
mdoudoroff wrote:
soundslikejoe wrote:

Would it? I really have no idea!

It has a legend that shows [thin line = mono] and [thick line = stereo]. Right at the Rec Level input it's a thin line... with the thick stereo signal duplicated to the dry output. So... as best I can tell it's 100% mono signal processing.
mdoudoroff
soundslikejoe wrote:
It has a legend that shows [thin line = mono] and [thick line = stereo]. Right at the Rec Level input it's a thin line... with the thick stereo signal duplicated to the dry output. So... as best I can tell it's 100% mono signal processing.

You’re absolutely right: it’s mono processing with stereo dry pass through. What I’m not clear on is whether it actually would be meaningfully “better” if the processing portion was itself somehow stereo.
soundslikejoe
mdoudoroff wrote:

You’re absolutely right: it’s mono processing with stereo dry pass through. What I’m not clear on is whether it actually would be meaningfully “better” if the processing portion was itself somehow stereo.

Well... it depends on the content of the stereo signal... but it could be a MASSIVE difference. 4ms DLD does this to great effect. I think the most obvious benefit would be that the unit could also function as a dual mono tape delay... with true separation of the inputs from each other, being passed to different two-head tape delays....

As is any true stereo image input into the unit is mashed into each tape head. From a mixing POV... that could get messy.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1