MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

shapeshifter: dual osc?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author shapeshifter: dual osc?
bisquick
Hi there,

I have looked through the manual and could not find a lot of info about this topic. Basically the idea is that I would like to use the module as two discrete and separate oscillators that track 1v/oct independently. I did see this in the manual about quantization:

"When the QUANT button is pressed once, so that the QUANT LED is lit, the frequency of oscillator 2 is set to a integer multiple or fraction of the frequency of oscillator 1. The external PITCH2 input is ignored in this situation."

...I do not have the QUANT mode(s) enabled.

Please let me know if there is something obvious I am missing in the manual, or something I can check! I would love to try to overcome this "hurdle" in my system. smile
bisquick
BTW I'm running firmware v2.02
insoul8
You need something plugged into pitch 2 for osc 2 to track independently. Even a dummy cable.
cptnal
...and turn Quant off.
bisquick
although I mentioned that I have quant off, I forgot to mention: I did/do have two separate 1v/oct pitch sequences plugged into both pitch 1 and pitch 2 discretely. I also have the osc outputs routed to different destinations.

Anything else I should try?
bisquick
ack, I think I found it, but I need to dig deeper into the manual for more info on this:
I had [MOD A] set to "Shaper 2", which somehow routed the OSC 1's pitch sequence to control my 2nd oscillator (maybe via modulation?). screaming goo yo
It looks like [MOD A]'s output is normally affected by the output of oscillator 1 without a dummy cable so I think that must be it.
I also had the attenuator up for the [MOD A] jack in. d'oh!
cptnal
Have you seen Seth Shafer's excellent tutorial series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlnj4HwHMlk

This first one takes you through setting everything to "default", so if you do that you should get to where you want to be. (Note Mr Shafer is using an older firmware than the current one.)

And congratulations - you have embarked on a lifelong Shapey adventure of fun and discovery. This is fun!
bisquick
Yes, I'd seen the tutorial series before and remembered that it was quite extensive. I'll review the 'default template' process and try to incorporate it by copying those settings to a preset.

Cheers.
Hallmar
bisquick wrote:
Yes, I'd seen the tutorial series before and remembered that it was quite extensive. I'll review the 'default template' process and try to incorporate it by copying those settings to a preset.

Cheers.

Also, when some weird crap is happening that you can't see:
Turn fader 'Mod A' and 'Mod B' totally counter clockwise. Often happens to me.
dubonaire
bisquick wrote:

Cheers.

It's an essential tip.
Dcramer
I always have a very basic, dual sine osc, setup on the first preset so that I always have a simple starting point.

The quant button can be useful if you want to run just a single pitch CV in, and have osc two track perfectly with osc one.
Ie: chords on osc one and a bass note on osc two. thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1