Pulsar-23 by Soma

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:45 pm

slam wrote:
Panason wrote:Hmm , looking at the clock divider, it only offers straight subdivisions. 1/4 , 1/2, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16.... so it may not be possible to patch up more funky rhythms without external sequencing.
The manual says you can connect several of them together and they are summed.
Can you figure out how to get a basic clock in 3, 5, or 7 by doing that? Such arithmetic is over my head.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:01 pm

electricanada wrote:
slam wrote:
Panason wrote:Hmm , looking at the clock divider, it only offers straight subdivisions. 1/4 , 1/2, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16.... so it may not be possible to patch up more funky rhythms without external sequencing.
Can you figure out how to get a basic clock in 3, 5, or 7 by doing that? Such arithmetic is over my head.
With this clock divisions I don´t think so...It would need a reset input

Maybe you can modulate the clock speed (as in the DFAM) to simulate this

slam
Common Wiggler

Post by slam » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:04 pm

electricanada wrote:
slam wrote:
1+2=3
4+1=5
1+2+4=7

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:20 pm

slam wrote:
electricanada wrote:
slam wrote:
1+2=3
4+1=5
1+2+4=7
If only it were that easy.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:24 pm

slam wrote:
electricanada wrote:
slam wrote:
1+2=3
4+1=5
1+2+4=7
sorry, but this will not work as you expect...triggers in the same place (time) just generate a redundant event

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:03 am

Vlad is answering questions on the GS thread... sounds like that you'd have to use external sequencing to get triplets.
yes, they (looper recordings) are lost upon power off, yet all midi assignments are saved. so best to prep a recorder if you're not merely performing live.

We believe this will gently push some of you to commit (record-making there and then) while keeping you on your toes when performing live, just like an acoustic instrument would. This is where happy accidents occur and you're always at the edge musically.

Yes, intricate and interesting patterns are what we aimed for, we're fans of IDM, Jungle, Indian Raga/African Drumming and contemporary electronic techno and urban grooves. If you require micro editing rather then mastering and trying to play it in (which we highly recommend)
, then our quantize and even better the DAW will be your best tool, our internal tests with devices such as ERM Multi Clock has shown below micro-second midi latency response.
I guess there's always the tempo knob for slowing down the BPM, playing in your jungle breakcore gangsta groove at slow tempo and then speeding it up.

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blw » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:24 am

yes, they (looper recordings) are lost upon power off, yet all midi assignments are saved. so best to prep a recorder if you're not merely performing live.

We believe this will gently push some of you to commit (record-making there and then) while keeping you on your toes when performing live, just like an acoustic instrument would. This is where happy accidents occur and you're always at the edge musically.
He's keeping us on our toes like worrying about power cycles? :hihi:

I might be happier with volatile memory if it is keeping the price or complexity lower, but its funny to frame it as a blessing for 'artistic' reasons.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:37 am

Panason wrote:Vlad is answering questions on the GS thread... sounds like that you'd have to use external sequencing to get triplets.
You can always play your triplets into the looper by hand, just like you can play your odd-meter grooves into the looper by hand. It's only if you require machine assistance that an external device becomes necessary. I kind of like that Vlad's design pushes people to develop and rely on real-time musicianship, rather than simply manipulating someone else's programming.

Bobby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bobby » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:44 am

i cant log in to GS! if anyone else cares can they clarify if the DCO is quantized or unquantized please. im guess if its a DCO its quantized to some degree but im hoping it isnt set to western intervals.

(basically i wanna do microtuned scales)

>>>> scrap this. Got into my account thanks.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:36 am

electricanada wrote:
Panason wrote:Vlad is answering questions on the GS thread... sounds like that you'd have to use external sequencing to get triplets.
You can always play your triplets into the looper by hand, just like you can play your odd-meter grooves into the looper by hand. It's only if you require machine assistance that an external device becomes necessary. I kind of like that Vlad's design pushes people to develop and rely on real-time musicianship, rather than simply manipulating someone else's programming.
I program my own beats, good sir. Haven't turned to MIDI files just yet :eek: I'm not so fussed about this as to argue, but you may know that, in general, a lot of electronic music is about sequenced stuff that cannot be played by hand, and it's the machine groove of sequencers that makes it appealing to a lot of people.

Being able to program in certain things brings out ideas that I wouldn't come up with by playing things manually. So I usually combine both manual playing and step sequencing to come up with beats.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:48 am

Panason wrote:
electricanada wrote:
I program my own beats, good sir. Haven't turned to MIDI files just yet :eek: I'm not so fussed about this as to argue, but you may know that, in general, a lot of electronic music is about sequenced stuff that cannot be played by hand, and it's the machine groove of sequencers that makes it appealing to a lot of people.

Being able to program in certain things brings out ideas that I wouldn't come up with by playing things manually. So I usually combine both manual playing and step sequencing to come up with beats.
I get that. It's why I like modular--I like building machines that surprise me with things I wouldn't have thought of otherwise. But I'm not crazy about robotic drum machine music. I like that Vlad is pushing in a new direction instead of replicating what's already been done.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:23 pm

that is toooootes the appeal of modular to me as well.

those moments of I DUNNO WHY THE FUZZY BEAR BALLS THAT HAPPENED BUT MANNNN I AM GLAD IT DID WOOT are transcendent
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Bobby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bobby » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:43 pm

Bobby wrote:i cant log in to GS! if anyone else cares can they clarify if the DCO is quantized or unquantized please. im guess if its a DCO its quantized to some degree but im hoping it isnt set to western intervals.

(basically i wanna do microtuned scales)

>>>> scrap this. Got into my account thanks.
Confirmed by Vlad by other means. Quantised to standard western imteravls via midi. Unqauntized by CV.

Im a very happy bunny! :bananaguitar:

Bobby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bobby » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:22 am

I'm looking for a way to mount this on top of my euro cases in an upright fashion. Some thing a bit like this I'm imagining (but ideally some way of clamping):

https://www.djmmusic.com/showproduct.as ... wdEALw_wcB

Anyone got any ideas?.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:08 am

murrrrr so not coming out September? sad face.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Bobby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bobby » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:44 am

behndy wrote:murrrrr so not coming out September? sad face.

yeah Ive been dying to ask if anyone's had an update. its gotta be soon!

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:23 am

It's not just "coming out", there's a waiting list. I can imagine certain gentlemen will be offering Vlad extra money to jump the queue and some others will be putting it on ebay at 2x the price.

Bobby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bobby » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:25 am

Panason wrote:It's not just "coming out", there's a waiting list. I can imagine certain gentlemen will be offering Vlad extra money to jump the queue and some others will be putting it on ebay at 2x the price.
I'm 90 something on the official list, ain't seen nout on eBay yet. Trent may have his but I figure it just ain't ready personally.

platform
Common Wiggler

Post by platform » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:26 am

Soma wrote in an email to me today:

"We will start shipping to early bird customers within a month or so. We're in mass production and it'll ramp up for others as we go."

Bobby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bobby » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:30 am

platform wrote:Soma wrote in an email to me today:

"We will start shipping to early bird customers within a month or so. We're in mass production and it'll ramp up for others as we go."
Nice one for the update. Thank you!

echologist
Wiggling with Experience

Suspense

Post by echologist » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:39 am

Man oh man, the suspense waiting on this email :hyper:

Literally been sitting on money avoiding buying any other gear waiting on this beast. Something has to give :help:

slam
Common Wiggler

Re: Suspense

Post by slam » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:56 am

echologist wrote:Man oh man, the suspense waiting on this email :hyper:

Literally been sitting on money avoiding buying any other gear waiting on this beast. Something has to give :help:
That is why you have two kidneys.

Bobby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bobby » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:03 am

Got a Mail from Soma on the weekend........

.......It was about the pipe. Oh the roll coaster.

echologist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by echologist » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:50 pm

slam wrote:

That is why you have two kidneys.
:hihi:

echologist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by echologist » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:50 pm

Bobby wrote:

Got a Mail from Soma on the weekend........

Do tell Sir!

.......It was about the pipe. Oh the roll coaster.

Return to “General Gear”