MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

two clocks from Pam's new workout or other? e.g. Steve Reich
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author two clocks from Pam's new workout or other? e.g. Steve Reich
MrTurboparrot
Hi All,

Did a search - not found anything on slightly varied clocks.

I have a New Pam's... is there a way to cheekily send a varying CV to one of the CV inputs to get another clock out that is ...say... 5% or 10% faster or slower than the internal fixed clock?

I'm puzzling over using a comparator or slew via maths too, but i'm looking for the most elegant and simple solution.

thoughts?
cptnal
In the box - doubt it. VC delayed clock sounds interesting though...
erstlaub
If you set 2 channels to the same divisor but dial in the slop parameter to one of them you can get interesting dynamic timing experiments. Loop can be set to reset the start point at certain junctures.

You could also apply a CV to phase if you wanted to slide things around that way.

A different clock, yep but a few % faster/slower not quite.
hawkfuzz
Tempi is good for this. I'm sure there's a way to get Pam's to do this. Phasing is something you can mess with with CV.
taylor12k
that would be a cool parameter to add to Pam”s channel options... a “+/- X” parameter where X is a BPM value
BaloErets
I had previously requested a feature where say if you held down the run/stop button while you were scrolling though division/multiplications, you could step though the value by 1 decimal. So for example, you could dial in a x3.7 or /1.4

Sadly, Mathew has expressed that there is zero room left memory-wise to add anything to Pams. In the end, it's already incredible as it is, and I'm still planning to get a 2nd eventually.
chysn
There's a video on YouTube of somebody doing Piano Phase on an ER-101. The phasing technique here was to set up two identical sequences, and then change the first step of one of the sequences to have a slightly (about 3%) shorter length.
mgscheue
It can be done with the Ornament and Crime Sequins app. In fact, it's specifically mentioned in the manual:

Quote:
If identical sequences are set up on both sequencer channels, and the same clock input is used to drive both channels, then Steve Reich “Piano Phase” type effcts can be acheived by setting the mult/div setting for one channel to, say, /32 (divide by 32), and to /31 on the other channel, and then using a fast clock. The two sequences will slowly move out of phase. By varying the division up and done in one channel, the two sequences can be moved in and out of phase as required.
MrTurboparrot
mgscheue wrote:
It can be done with the Ornament and Crime Sequins app. In fact, it's specifically mentioned in the manual:

Quote:
If identical sequences are set up on both sequencer channels, and the same clock input is used to drive both channels, then Steve Reich “Piano Phase” type effcts can be acheived by setting the mult/div setting for one channel to, say, /32 (divide by 32), and to /31 on the other channel, and then using a fast clock. The two sequences will slowly move out of phase. By varying the division up and done in one channel, the two sequences can be moved in and out of phase as required.

ahhhhhhh. we're not worthy

yes. This is the way. I could go as low as /512 and /511 if needed!

This is the elegant solution I was after nanners
mgscheue
MrTurboparrot wrote:

ahhhhhhh. we're not worthy

w00t
RecycleYourPets
the Malekko quad get delay might help you do the trick as well:

MrTurboparrot
not sure the Quad delay does it - because it is a fixed delay... not changing timing/clock.

Anyhow, I tried this on the Pam's:

You need an external clock (fast LFO), as internal clock only stretches to 300 BPM.

There is no 31/32. Only 32 vs 29, or 25 vs 24. This rate of change (with a clock per step) is too fast to really hear phasing in 3 or 4 note phrases.

Unfortunately, the Pam's does not do 'any' divisions. As you get above 64, it jumps to 128, 256 etc.

I'm thinking the best way to get something like, say 120 ppm, +/- 1 or 2% might be two channels of maths and just ear-ball it (see what I did there - I invented a new phrase - instead of 'eyeball it' I said 'ear ball' it. I'm so smart!)

Dead Banana Dead Banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1